Author Topic: Anyone else’s Cocker a bit, let’s say obsessed with you?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Elisha9

Anyone else’s Cocker a bit, let’s say obsessed with you?
« on: December 07, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
My Poppy is very much all for me. Got her last November for my daughter who wanted a Puppy, we already and Paisley our Border Collie and I felt it was the right time to add a new member to our family! Paisley is now 3 and Poppy is now 1. Poppy is, let’s say she’s Obsessed with me. She’s always focused and or staring at me. She does it to other people also, the staring that is!
But recently I had Poppy cuddling with me on my bed and Paisley joined which resorted in Poppy getting jealous and having a growl. All fine was told off and both stayed with me.
Then happened again also on the sofa. Poppy was with me and Paisley joined and she growled at Paisley but then snapped and I had to grab them both by the scruff (Never done this before as I hate it), and tell them off and told them to get out and was again all fine. Not done again since. She’s always wanting cuddles if Paisley gets them and vice versa!
But is anyone else’s like this? Never had a dog that’s all for me to the point of telling my other girl off! Both are very well trained. Off lead over the fields and up the woods! They sit, wait, paw, lay down, Poppy even plays dead when you say ‘bang’! Poppy even comes on walks with me without a lead on her as doesn’t need it at all. Unless up at school then I put it on obviously!
So I’m assuming she just sees me as hers?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lescef

Re: Anyone else’s Cocker a bit, let’s say obsessed with you?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
Oh yes... my two cocker are nine and seven. The younger one, Bramble, was very obsessed with me when she was younger. She has got slightly better as she's got older but she still guards me. She will growl and snap at Maddie if she comes close when Bramble is next to me, be it on the floor or on the sofa. A few years ago I didn't cuddle either of them because it would cause trouble. Now I can have them both on the sofa, one either side, but I still have to watch Bramble's reaction. It's fun and games!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »
Yes, my girl will not allow any other dogs near me. It's too bad because it means she cannot handle living with any other pets, and she would have loved the company when I'm at work. I tried training her, but I was not successful. I tried researching how to manage it, I read books on resource guarding and aggressive behaviour, asked advise from more experienced dog people etc.

I moved in with a friend at uni and her dog. The dogs were excellent friends so we thought we could train away her little "jealousy issue", but unfortunately it did not work out. I think it's a form of resource guarding where we are the resource. My dog eventually started guarding things and spaces around me in addition to me. Never an issue with people, but she will chase away even her most favourite doggie friends if I'm in the room. Our dogs would sleep together on the sofa and be friends all day, but the second I walked in the room my dog would turn on the other dog.

My dog has always been easy to train and we kept the peace most of the time by giving her a command before she got angry with the other dog (like "lie down" or anything to distract her before she tensed up), but it was hard work having to be one step ahead of her all the time. I do think we are a worst case scenario though. I know people with similar problems that have managed to work through it. I'm sure you can get good advise on here, not sure I'm the right person to give it  :005:

A good start could be having the dog wait for permission before jumping on furniture for a cuddle with you. And generally having rules and routines to follow. I think dogs that resource guard are insecure and if they know what is expected in a situation they are less likely to get triggered. But it is tricky because you want to do it in a positive way and at the same time not let them work themselves up. One thing we did was have both dog wait before being allowed to do things that could cause problems. They had to sit and wait for their food and not go over to each others bowls. They had to be called onto the couch one by one so my dog did not feel that she had to control the situation.

My dog is obedient and a lovely happy cocker, but this issue with her guarding me is something I'll admit I have no control over. But like I said, we are the worst-case scenario. I'm really just sharing because I was embarrest about it for many years and I want others to not have to feel like they are alone if they have experienced it. Not expecting you to have anywhere near the same severity of the issue at all  ;)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »
My Harry is a resource guarder, he mainly guards food and me! A couple of days a week he comes to work with me and as soon as he hears anyone put the kettle on he knows they will bring a drink into the office and he gets out of his bed to lie infont of my desk, ready primed to bark when they come close. 
He also guards me at hone but only in one room, if my husband walks towards me he gets tense and will growl. I always feel really sad for Harry that he is so anxious about 'stuff' that he feels the need to do this. I try to use distraction techniques wherever possible, or just avoid the situation completely so he is not in the position of having to guard eg if my husband makes a drink for me he leaves it on the table for me to pick up rather than bring it too me. The guarding has got worse since Harrys sight deteriorated (he has pra and cateracts).  We manage the guarding but it does make life difficult.

While your Poppy is so young you could probably look at helping her control the guarding tendancies, Harry is nearly 11 and so anxious its a bit of a battle, but hopefully you will see good results

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »
Jasper is obsessed with me but not aggressive with it though - he just shoves everyone else out of the way (he's a 16kg very muscular working type cocker) and will often throw himself on my lap and cling on with his paws - he's quite strong for his size and weight too and getting him off your lap is hard work as he pushes against you letting him bless him
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
Jasper is obsessed with me but not aggressive with it though - he just shoves everyone else out of the way (he's a 16kg very muscular working type cocker) and will often throw himself on my lap and cling on with his paws - he's quite strong for his size and weight too and getting him off your lap is hard work as he pushes against you letting him bless him

It's amazing how heavy they become when they don't want you to move them I have found this with Minstrel too.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 02:53:13 PM »
Ollie is 100% obsessed, walks with OH are less stressful because the guarding of me is not required :D, but he is 100% certain I am his and I have a cocker eye on me most of the time, he is twelve and there has been no decease...never had a dog like it before....the velcro cocker thing me thinks.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
We have an obsessed spaniel here too! Mine is very much environmental I feel. We are a military family and our pup has learnt that his dad leaving means mum is the main carer/source of all food!
This is fine, he responds to both of us well, takes some time to warm up to dad again when he returns from deployment but generally dotes on us both... However.. if there is ever a time that I appear 'upset' or 'hurt' or 'unwell', our pup acts as protector and will happily growl at dad if he dares come near!

An example is after a family member fell unwell recently, I returned home after a hospital visit, sat on the sofa and had a little cry, to which my partner approached to hug and and leo intervened and growled at him!

It definatly needs managing and I take control over this by not allowing Leo to stay on my lap or in my space if he does this! And this works well

The benefit being that 90% of the time we have a pup who always obliges to a cuddle and snuggle when I want it!

Offline Dimples

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
Yep my Robbie is obsessed with me. I can't pet other dogs when out on walks as he growls. When in doors if my cat Norman is around, Robbie lays right across me so Norman can't get a look in.  When my daughters dog comes, he whines and yelps if I was to pick her dog up or fuss over him. I have to tell Robbie off as it's unfair.

I can't even walk to the other room without him following me. Sometimes I command him to stay and wait whilst I run out (literally run) to the kitchen.  If my partner and I cuddle, Robbie whines and barks at us.  I always said if I got another dog I would make him different but I think I am fooling myself ha ha. Cockers are all like that I think!!

If I go out....he lays by the front door waiting for me. Regardless whose at home with him!
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old