Author Topic: puppy eating cat poo - advice please  (Read 602 times)

Offline Abbie105

puppy eating cat poo - advice please
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
Hi

Well we have survived the first night!

Teddy slept from 11 - 1am then the howling began. Put him outside to do his business and then back to back (although he was wanting to play) and then repeated at 3am and again at 5am. Not too bad all in all.

He's eating well (right little gannet  :005:

and only 1 little puddle in the house - has been great!

However, although I do not have cats, there are some locally who love to poo in my garden

Not only am I on constant plant and pebble watch (Teddy sees himself as a horticulturalist and is helping me to "prune" the plants) but now I am on constant Cat poo watch. Think I have caught it all, but a bit concerned that the cats might have something that is harmful to him

Any advice ? Am I just being an over anxious first time cocker mum?

thanks

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: puppy eating cat poo - advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »
Gemma is a habitual pooh eater, no harm yet has come to her (except when i twang her ar** with the lead )
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
Cat poo is a well known delicacy in the dog world :020: but try to stop him from eating it if you can, partly so it doesn't become a habit, but also because it may give him an upset tummy, especially while he's so young. I think they like it because most cats are fed a processed diet of either kibble or wet and probably a lot of it passes through not fully digested and smells yummy to dogs. With any luck the neighbourhood cats will stop coming in your garden once they realise Teddy is around.

Try not to let him eat plants either (pretty impossible, I know). Quite a few plants are toxic to dogs and some can be very dangerous. At this time of year be especially careful with anything that grows from a bulb (daffs, tulips, bluebells etc.) as the bulbs are toxic and with many of the plants the leaves, stems and flowers are too.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
Both mine are cat poo eaters  :020: invest in a colourful windmill and it keeps cats away! We also have croaking frogs that scare cats!

Offline Abbie105

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks all

Elaine E - I have taken up every bulb in the garden before he arrived. Think I will need to buy some tall edging that he can't get over. Then its just the gravel watch. You need eyes in the back of your head . He's worth it though and so impressed that he hasn't done anything in the house and is letting me know when he wants to go out already

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
Bonnie was a terrible cat/fox poo eater  >:( She still tries now to snaffle the delicacy if we're not careful. She used to get terrible diarrhoea after eating it so just watch out in case it upsets his tum. Keep up to date with worming too if its a habit that continues. We did Bonnie every month (under the vets advice) whilst she was going through this stage as you never know what is in the cats poop!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
Both mine are cat poo eaters  :020: invest in a colourful windmill and it keeps cats away! We also have croaking frogs that scare cats!

Toy snakes also keep cats away  :shades:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
Yep Hector was (and still is) a disgusting cat poo eater.

Vet said they do it for certain nutrients  :020: :020:

But as always some good advice here I will be looking out for croaking frogs and snakes to put in our garden as half the neighbours have cats who visit for a poo and the rest of us have dogs who hate the cats and bark madly and in the case of horrible Hector think  the leavings are a delicacy.   Drives me mad that cat owners think  it fine for their cats to poop everywhere but there are fines (rightly so for dog droppings). One of our neighbours cats pooed on our garden table  :dunno:  he also left his collar on said table so knew the culprit!

We used to have a top of the range water pistol and if I got the timing right and showered the moggy it was like a luddite version of a computer game. 

I like cats but I love my dogs

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
I have 2 cats who ask to come in then promptly take Pearl back out to where they went  :020:

If they are your own cats you can get a powder to add to their food which supposedly makes the poo taste bitter - apparently cat poo is like caviar to dogs  ;)

Pearl seems to have stopped eating it in the last few months so it is possible that it's something she's grown out of.  The Vet reassured me that most horrible things found in cat poo is not zoonotic and regular worming would do the job.....it didn't cure her breath tho  :o

Hope Teddy doesn't get chance to discover just how delicious a treat the neighbourhood "moggies" are leaving for him  :005: