Author Topic: Calling all Cockers on Eden  (Read 13981 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Calling all Cockers on Eden
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
Nope riley does no such spinning, he is a show cocker though.

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »
Molly spins too, but only when I'm about to put her food down!
RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Great news, after increasing Harry's food from 90g x 2, a day to 110g x 2 a day and giving him bout 90g of lambs hearts a day, Harry has put on 300g in a week, the down side is he's crapping for England, obviously he's getting a bit too much! So how can I, get him to put on weight, but with a more sensible portion?

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
Sash is on Simpsons 80/20 which I think is very similar to Eden

http://www.simpsonspremium.com/80-20/80-20%20dog%20food

The reason I am posting here is because she also lost a fair bit of weight to start with she is on 90g twice a day and now weighs 14.9kg. I'm happy with that as she is quite a big dog and puts weight on easily since she has been spayed.

She is a worker so quite active. She is also seems to have more energy since going onto Simpson's.

I also have a working Springer. She is naturally very slight and we have had a struggle to put weight on her I contacted Simpson's as in an ideal world  I would like to feed them both the same, however they advised against it as they said it was quite common for dogs to lose some weight on the 80/20 due to the lack of carbs and higher protein.

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »
Isla is 12.5kg and has continued to be this weight following a change over from Arden Grange to Canagan (60/40 grain free). Her coat has got more shiny, her poos were always firm before and not smelly, and continue the same. Isla has 80g twice a day and a few fish4dogs treats inbetween.
Isla is a full on working cocker, who never stops, but she manages to keep a good weight. When we were looking to bulk Isla up, without increasing kibble, (advised that increasing kibble increases poo's without weight gain), we were told to add pasta or tripe to her diet, and that this wouldn't "shoot" thru her. Worked very well.
Am impressed by Canagan three months on, but in the beginning looked at Eden, Millie's Wolfheart and Canagan, and initially wondered if Canagan was as good as the hype....now believe it is good, but only the salmon one, the venison and wild game one i was not impressed by at all. Isla is 15 months old and has just had her first season.
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »
Well further update on Harry's progress.

After initially good results on Eden and adding some lambs hearts to increase his weight, we're back to square one, huge runny, diarrhoea poos. I am quickly running out of faith with Eden. Speaking to them they told me to increase the portions now telling me to reduce them!?!?! They advised getting some Gut-rite which will arrive tomorrow. It's all very well saying 'he's detoxing' and 'he's getting rid of the bad food' but come on he's been on Eden since mid March! And apart from the early days he's been loose ever since.

The fact is, when he was on Arden Grange, no problems, so why did I change? Cos I believe Eden is a great food, just maybe not for Harry.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Awww, sorry things aren't working out. It does sound like it just doesn't suit him. I think if it were me I would go back to what worked before. Arden Grange is still a good food. I personally am finding it hard to believe that you would still be in an adjustment phase, or that it should be this difficult to get things right.  :dunno: Not all foods suit all dogs. Archie couldn't produce a firm poo on JWB if his life had depended on it!  ;)

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
Yep disappointing news. Fudge has been on Eden for about a month now and is banging them out good and proper with no problems. Mind you, you could feed him the inside of the vacuum cleaner and he would still pass a firm jobbie - he seems to have the constitution of a maggot!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
That's a shame , I too don't believe that they should still be "detoxing" infact I don't even like to use the word detox, it implies all other foods are wrong. I prefer the word transition.
You are right though he has been on it long enough.

Does Harry not even have a firm poo first thing in the morning?
Riley is on about 95g twice a day, with some forthglade or mackerel fillets or chicken.
His first one is fine, the next is a bit whippy like.

It shouldn't be like this. It shouldn't be so complicated. You have clearly got Harry,s best interests at heart,
I would go back to what he was fine with.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
Thanks for the sympathies folks as its reall annoying. Spoke to Eden tonight and they have been supportive but clearly it's not working, anyhow they suggested I add a bit of wings and thighs and that should have an immediate effect due to the calcium (they never said that last week when he was the same!!) . Every time I phone up we they advise a different course, I know it's hard for them but its harder a d so frustraighting for me, the poor little fella is so confused, you can tell. Mind you though he's still galavanting around like a good'un and has loads of energy. I will carry on with 100gx2, with Gut-rite till the end of the week so see if that helps, meanwhile I e got 5kg of lambs hearts and 25kg of Eden if anybody wants it.

Ironically met another choccy, working Cocker this morning and I explained my situation, she was in a similar position and had him on loads of foods, finally settled on one, no poo issues, no health issues.

The food? Tinned Chappie

I give up

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
Thanks for the sympathies folks as its reall annoying. Spoke to Eden tonight and they have been supportive but clearly it's not working, anyhow they suggested I add a bit of wings and thighs and that should have an immediate effect due to the calcium (they never said that last week when he was the same!!) . Every time I phone up we they advise a different course, I know it's hard for them but its harder a d so frustraighting for me, the poor little fella is so confused, you can tell. Mind you though he's still galavanting around like a good'un and has loads of energy. I will carry on with 100gx2, with Gut-rite till the end of the week so see if that helps, meanwhile I e got 5kg of lambs hearts and 25kg of Eden if anybody wants it.

Ironically met another choccy, working Cocker this morning and I explained my situation, she was in a similar position and had him on loads of foods, finally settled on one, no poo issues, no health issues.

The food? Tinned Chappie

I give up

Ironic isn't it.
Eden is meant to be a complete food, I cant understand why adding this that and the other will change things.
If I were  you I would go back to AG, its a good food and it agrees with harry.
I think some of us put too much thought into trying to find the "best" food for our dogs , we get so caught up in trying our hardest and as you have heard this dog is probably no less healthy than harry or any of ours (the one on chappie) I wouldn't though lol.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »

The food? Tinned Chappie

I give up

Tinned Chappie is often recommended by vets for pups with upset stomachs, Many of my dogs years ago pre dried food lived long healthy working lives on table scraps and chappie.

Just a thought but maybe we all overthink feeding our pups now , I feed raw but not so sure this is anymore a natural diet for domestic dogs than kibble, our pups ancestor's would not have been given a balanced raw diet they would have eaten what ever was left laying around with the odd bit of game they could catch.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »
LOL I'm not the only one then Jane
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
LOL I'm not the only one then Jane

;) :D

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
Just back from his early morning walk, he had 100g of Eden, we went out had a poo, was formed but very soft and it absolutely stank, really bad. Then he had several squats and various drabs and drabs of poo in a variety of colours came out. So no improvement there.

If I do revert back to Arden Grange, do I just give him the full whack or gradually introduce it along side the Eden, I am thinking of just stopping the Eden straight away as it'll hardly make him worse can it?

Agree with you Jeff, what this incident has taught me is the power of the Internet can make you alter you thoughts, there's deffinately too much info out there.