Author Topic: whats happening  (Read 438 times)

Offline lilliegez

whats happening
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
maisie is 5 months now and seemed to be coming along with training well but things are going downhill.  she is generally driving me bonkers.  don't get me wrong I loves her so and wouldn't be without her but I am so stressed with her this week.  she has started chewing chairs in house again, dive bombing me and just ignoring me.  I was doing so well with her but its like she has lost all her brain cells and doesn't understand me anymore.  im sure I will beat these issues again but my main issue is she is pulling on the lead again like crazy.  I have tried treats chicken, cheese, clicker, harness, stopping, changing direction but absolutely none of these methods work with her she just doesnt care. walks on lead are not enjoyable at all. with a small pup of this age could I use a halti or an no pull harness.  I really love maisie and want to be able to take her for fun walks but right now its not happening.  please help, clair

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: whats happening
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Hi Clair,

I remember the 5 month stage very well!  It was just as Pearl started teething - which may explain the chewing :D  There are lots of threads on here about lead training but I found the most effective way is just stand still until the lead is loose then set off again - bit frustrating the first walk out as you won't get anywhere fast  :005: but does work.  Think it took a few attempts over three days and the penny dropped for Pearl ;)

It does get better, honestly!

Jayne
x

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
I found getting her in position and with treats in left hand and feeding them when she looked at me worked for me, making her change direction and sitting etc saying good girl or her name to get her attention.  Didn't work so  well  in the park at first so had Halti as well  :D

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
Bracken was a puller on the lead, took months and months to get him to walk reasonably well on the lead, he was not perfect but a lot better, then he reached 10 months and it all gone out the window again, brought  xtra dog fleece harness which used for the first time today, he still pulling but have better control of him, I'm certainly not enjoying the lead walks at all, I have been stopping, going, stopping, going, turning around then back again! Off lead recall is great  just the lead walking with him!