Author Topic: Any suggestions for crate training an adult dog?  (Read 726 times)

Offline tritonx

Any suggestions for crate training an adult dog?
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Fraser was somewhat crate trained as a pup, but he didn't really like it, so I put the crate away. He didn't seen to regard the crate as a safe den and he wasn't much of a chewer, so he didn't really need to be contained when I was out. However, I'm having friends come to house and dog sit while I'm away on holidays next summer and since they have young children, another friends suggested it might be helpful for him to have a place to retreat to for quiet time. I've brought his crate out, cleaned it up and put it in the place in the bedroom where his bed is. Half the time he sleeps in the bed and the other half up on my bed. He gets his bedtime biscuit in his floor bed every night. I left it there thinking he might go inside and check it out, but no. Then I threw a treat in and he retrieved it with his back legs firmly planted outside the crate. I've thrown in a treat a few times over the last couple of days, hoping to get him used to the idea of the crate and putting no pressure whatsoever on him other than praising him when he goes in to retrieve the treat. I feel, considering his wariness, I shouldn't try to get him to go inside other than by his choice. I know he would resist if I tried to lead him in. So, any suggestions on how to go about getting him crate trained. I've got a few months, so can take it slowly. (I've looked online, but even with the crate training an adult dog, they seem to be dealing with dogs that aren't wary of the crate.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Re: Any suggestions for crate training an adult dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:45:53 PM »
No ideas I'm afraid with an adult dog but just wondering if you have a utility room or could confine Fraser to the kitchen using a safety gate? It might be easier to get him used to his own quiet room rather than a crate. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:17:58 PM »
Thanks. My house is quite small and open plan, so putting a gate anywhere would obstruct people getting to where they want. He might on his own retreat to the bedroom where he's accustomed to sleeping. He hasn't lived with children before. He's good with them petting him on walks, but not 24 hour round. The older girl wouldn't likely try to engage with him more than he likes as she's nervous of dogs though likes Fraser and will pet him. The younger one is 4/5? and likes dogs, so might shower him with more attention than he'd prefer. I can't predict his response as he hasn't spend so much time with young folk. The parents would be very alert to any potential problems, but they can't watch all the time. I'll see how it goes with a slow introduction of the crate experience. Some sites say feed the dog inside so that it forms positive associations.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »
I would definitely try feeding inside. At least you've got lots of time to try different things. I'm sure experienced COL'ers will be along to give you some tips....I'm a novice at anything Cocker related xx

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
We started crate training with our older pup (note: a collie x, not a cocker) using the Victoria Stilwell crate training method (you can find it on YouTube). We have the crate in the utility room, tucked between the washer and the fridge, and stuffed with a big duvet, her favourite (smelly!!) blankets and covered with a big warm fleece. She likes making a nest in it. We were told by the rescue centre never to push her into her crate; always be patient and wait for her to go in of her own volition.

We tried to make the crate as exciting as possible by, for example, hiding titbits in there so our dog finds them during the day, and doing clicker training - after a lot of time spent clicking and treating once she's got her whole body in the crate, she now knows the cue 'Go dodo!' (dodo = French for sleep) and goes into her crate. It helps that the crate is next to the fridge - she now ducks into the crate as soon as I open the fridge door as I often drop tiny bits of treat in through the crate roof! I try to keep her guessing.

She also gets her stuffed Kong and other long-lasting treats in there. I also totally ignore her once she's settled in her crate, as she (not surprisingly) doesn't react well to being peered at like an exhibit once in there. When we play 'Find it' I always put a few treats hidden around her crate blankets and it's now the first place she looks which is great as it equals positive association with crate!

I often play relaxing doggy music (from YouTube - relaxmydog is the user) while she's having crate time.

When we adopted her at seven months, she wasn't potty trained (or trained in any way at all!) and she did have two peeing accidents in her crate, which we understand is quite rare as they don't tend to toilet where they sleep. We put it down to her being confused and us misunderstanding her request to go out. She's been fine ever since.

She now immediately goes into her crate by herself after the evening walk and settles down with a small snack. We don't hear a peep out of her until we go down at about 8am.

I can understand how hard it might be with a dog who is wary of the crate. Our dog is unfortunately wary of the car so we've been very gradually building up a good association with it, by, for example, smearing primula on the side of the car (ick - the things we do for them!) after every walk so she learned to seek out the car, and getting Tilley's Favourite Person, (i.e. my mum!) to sit in the car while she fed Tilley, etc. She used to back away from the car but has since done a couple of short journeys. This kind of softly, softly approach might help?

Good luck!

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:56:45 AM »
Good ideas. I'll start leaving treats inside. He's likely to smell them when he's in the bedroom and go rooting. This evening I put his dinner bowl inside. He ate there, but still with his back legs almost outside and wary of any noises. Not surprising as it's a disruption to his normal eating location and he's a bit spooked by the crate. I'll stick with it and when he's more accustomed to food/crate, I'll see if I can introduce the clicker further down the line if he seems to be getting more relaxed.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HNO79bZMY

Susan Garrett shaped rather than lured, but still click&treat  ;)

This is what I did with mine who hadn't been in crates but I wanted them to get used to a dogbag (soft crate for the car)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline tritonx

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »
Ahh, very helpful vid. Clever little puppy there. Seemed to pick things up quickly, judging by the lack of editing cuts. I gave Fraser his last night and this morning's meals in the crate and before bed, I put a few kibbles tucked in and under the bedding for him to find. This morning he stretched in to eat his meal, but his back legs were outside and trembling a bit as if he was ready to leap away at the slightest alarm. I think I'll have to work for a while on letting that anxiety die down. When I was in the ensuite bathroom near his crate, I saw him go in, front end to forage some more in case there was any hidden food, so that implies progress. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cockers Online comes through with help as always.  :D

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
Definitely persevere!

Although we had a crate for Daisy as a puppy, she would go nuts if we shut the door...we tried staging it, leaving her for longer, clicking & treating etc, and putting treats & food in there, but it was a real problem..bizarrely though, when the dog trainer looked after her during the day, she would  snooze in one quite happily with the door locked..back to us, and she would kick off again...so we dispensed with it after a while, shut her in the kitchen overnight in her basket and kept the stairgate at the bottom of the stairs..

The crux came, however, when Daisy had an op back in July (8 months old)- I didn't want her to go upstairs & bust her stitches, so the stairgate stayed shut...she started hurling herself against the gate, which was quite distressing..I rang the dog trainer, who came and collected Daisy at 10pm (she is a star!), and took her and crated her overnight at her house with few issues.

After that, Daisy seemed to realise that the crate was her own space..the penny dropped (finally!!)..now she sleeps in there very happily overnight, with the door shut with no trouble at all..she is a year old now & much calmer all round.
We always give her treats and hide them in her blankets as you do..she soon settles down..
So definitely stick with it- I am sure you will get there :)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Get hold of Susan Garrets Crate games DVD :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk