Author Topic: Do dogs show guilt  (Read 1349 times)

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
Re: Do dogs show guilt
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
He must have been holding it in his mind that he'd done something he was not supposed to as he was been told off in the past when he's taken food off the coffee table (as in the infamous whole wheel of Brie incident). Plus, he was back in position as if butter (or fig) wouldn't melt in his mouth until the 'guilty' flinch.  :angel: >:D

He pinched a whole wheel of Brie? Did he manage to eat the whole thing?!

ph34r :fear2:  :005:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
It was a small wheel, but a dense mouthful. There was much gulping to try to get it down his gullet before I could remove it. There was stern talking and finger shaking.

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
It was a small wheel, but a dense mouthful. There was much gulping to try to get it down his gullet before I could remove it. There was stern talking and finger shaking.

I can imagine - Lottie looooooves cheese....

:005: :005:

Offline Loopy Lucy

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
It's not an equal comparison though, as humans are actually capable of experiencing the emotion of guilt (unless they have some type of extreme personality disorder), regardless of how, or if, they actually show it. The point with dogs is that even though they might appear to us to feel guilt, they can't reason like that. We can interpret their actions/looks and make predictions but in doing so it's very easy to infer human feelings and capabilities which are not there. In order for a dog to feel remorse about carrying out a particular action they'd have to be capable of having an awareness of right and wrong and how their actions might affect others which is something that occurs past the stage where canine emotional development stops.
How do you know that? What's the evidence?