Author Topic: pulling away and yelping while greeting  (Read 383 times)

Offline tritonx

pulling away and yelping while greeting
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
I think this is strange to see in a dog that is almost 5 years. Surely by that time, they have become quite calm. Fraser is having a phase of enthusiastically greeting people as he's always done, but as they stoop to engage, he takes fright and backs away crouching. His body language is desire to greet and anxiety. Male of female, no distinction. He's always been a happy greeter, loves it when passing people make eye contact and then he's over to greet. I know they go through fear phases when developing, but he's 5. I wrote few months ago that his morning greeting also had little yelps and pull aways and then that behaviour died out and he was back to a little morning hug and face down, bum up wriggling while being petted. Also a short phase when he'd yelp and back off when the food dish was put down. That one went away when I made him leave until given permission to eat. Now he sits and bores his eyes into my head in a firm stay until he gets the word 'okay' and proceeds to eat. The through thread here seems to be moments of high excitement. Has anyone here dealt with this kind of behaviour?

Offline JamiesGirl

Re: pulling away and yelping while greeting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »
Jamie's 8 and does this. The only person who can hug him anytime anywhere is me. He'll go to my OH for cuddles but then yelp and whinge. He will also run up to people to say hi before backing away and running back to his mum  :luv: bless him. Jamie doesn't have the most confidence in the world, he over compensates with dogs by shouting  ph34r and he's very much a one person dog. I think the key is learning to see it's just part of who they are. People some times get upset when Jamie won't go and say hi so I give them a biscuit to give him or tell them that the more they ignore him the more it gives him the confidence to go up and sniff and then he can make his own mind up, which is normally that he doesn't like them and must come back to me for cuddles.  :005:

Its an interesting behavioural issue but I don't know how to remedy it so have just tried to work with it :S

Is Fraser still entire? Jamie is but I don't know if this is part of the problem/solution.

🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:03:24 AM »
Fraser's neutered and this is a new behaviour in terms of greeting other people. He's so far from a one person dog that I sometimes get the feeling that he'd walk off with anyone who gives him the time of day. Well, he would for a few steps and then it would be four paw anchor. That's what's got me puzzled as it wasn't a locked in part of his personality up until the last couple of weeks. It's like the adolescent fear phases that show up and then fade away. But he's been a mature dog for some time now. They are such funny little creatures sometimes for a breed that is as sturdy and enthusiastic as can be when they're out in the fields. Sometimes I think he's a soccer lout crossed with a fainting violet. Never sure which one is going to emerge  :D

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
It's definitely an interesting issue! Could be fear phases like you say that haven't been resolved. Probably is the case with Jamie but as he's older now I doubt they will ever resolve! Hopefully someone with more experience than me will see this thread and might be able to give us both some more answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾