Author Topic: Badly Bitten By My Dog  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Badly Bitten By My Dog
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 11:57:45 AM »
Zarina, please don't be offended, but I am still not convinced that you have truly understood the difference between aggression and rage.

Rage affected dogs (though I only know what I've read about it) seem to be absolutely fine between "rage seizures". The rage comes out of nowhere, a little like an epileptic seizure.

In your last but one post you explained that Raj had none of the signs of rage, then went on to illustrate by giving examples of possessive aggression.

I know I am no expert, and if anything I have said is incorrect, then I hope that someone with more experience will correct me. But from what I understand of the condition, it is in no way linked with behavioural issues.

I agree that no matter how reputable your behaviouralist is, if the first conclusion reached, without meeting Raj, was a diagnosis of rage, then you should consult someone who is willing to be more open minded and realistic.

I sincerely hope that Raj is not affected with rage, if he is then the only remedy seems to euthinasia (?sp), and it is for this reason that I urge you to work carefully towards diagnosing his problems.

I do hope that all will turn out well.

Offline PennyB

Badly Bitten By My Dog
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 03:27:53 PM »
Not quite sure where this is leading now as its no longer about dealing with your dog's behaviour who doesn't seem to have been seen by a competent behaviourist so we'll never know will we. We can read what we like in books and interpret it how we like but unless someone who doesn't think rage 1st sees a dog 1st hand how can they tell how yours or anyone else dog is. The discussion on rage per se has been done to death on various threads in this forum and there is no new research but more often than not it just succeeds in spreading more and more fear about cockers.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Badly Bitten By My Dog
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 03:48:58 PM »
I think this thread has gone as far as it can go now - as Penny says the subject of Rage Syndrome has been done to death on this forum & there seems little reason for yet more discussion when Zarina's dog does not appear to have this particular condition anyway. Zarina, please do take the advice you've been given & consult a behaviourist/trainer with an open mind and then perhaps you could come back and give us a progress report at a later date :)

Jane
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Badly Bitten By My Dog
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »
Not quite sure where this is leading now as its no longer about dealing with your dog's behaviour who doesn't seem to have been seen by a competent behaviourist so we'll never know will we. We can read what we like in books and interpret it how we like but unless someone who doesn't think rage 1st sees a dog 1st hand how can they tell how yours or anyone else dog is. The discussion on rage per se has been done to death on various threads in this forum and there is no new research but more often than not it just succeeds in spreading more and more fear about cockers.
[snapback]136464[/snapback]

I agree -  in my experience the breeders who are members of COL are aware of rage, are committed to the breed and do not provide advise that perpetuates the image of cockers as unpredicatable and agressive.

Rage/dominance agression/possession agression are all very different things and have different causes and treatements. I strongly believe that any owner of a dog that shows agression has a responsibility to determine the cause and commit to a solution  <_<
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club