Author Topic: On lead reactivity  (Read 679 times)

Offline tritonx

On lead reactivity
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:53:01 PM »
Fraser's on lead reactivity is getting worse and walks are not fun because of constantly scanning for on coming other dogs. He's six now, neutered male. I've been trying to distract him when I see a dog coming, but he eats the high value treat and then is peering round me to start roaring at the other dog while I fumble trying to get more treats out. It's really hard to distract him. I've been reading about the internet on causes and treatment of on leash reactivity and I've decided that he can't be on flexi lead any more. I'd made the choice of flex lead to let him sniff about and track smells etc. because he doesn't get off lead running about apart from back garden. (I'm more nervous now about walking the dog alone along forest trails since coyotes and occasional bears are part of the environment plus I walk with a cane so walks are somewhat restricted for length.) I'm pretty sure he's reacting on lead because he wants to greet and is frustrated, but after a growing number of occasions when an apparently successful greet ended suddenly in growls and lunging, I steer him away from dogs. Do you think it will work if I work on training him to always walk to heel when we're out, so he's more focused on me plus doing the high value treat distraction to keep him from focusing on other dogs? I've always felt that it's pretty much like marching a dog around when they're strictly to heel with little opportunity for them to sniff and follow interesting smells, but clearly the situation can't go on with the reactivity. He's fine off leash with other dogs of all sizes when he's at doggie daycare. Thoughts? Anything that's worked for you if you've had the same problem?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: On lead reactivity
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:00:35 AM »
One of my two, 6 year old Louis, is reactive towards other dogs. He's worse on lead than off, but of course there are times when I have to put him on lead even though I know he's more likely to react.

I've had a lot of success with LAT (look at that) and if you do an internet search for it you'll find a much better explanation than I can give. Basically when Louis sees a dog, even if it's a long way off, I try to capture that moment that he looks at the dog and say "look at that" in an encouraging sort of voice and reward him for even the smallest calm reaction. A casual glance, looking without immediately putting his hackles up, anything positive gets rewarded.

If it's a close or sudden encounter and he reacts by lunging or growling I simply walk away with him calmly while calling out an apology to the other dog owner. I can't let myself get uptight about it because that just makes Louis more anxious and more reactive. If I see a dog approaching that I'm pretty sure he will react to I turn and walk in a different direction if possible.

It's worked really well with Louis. I know he'll never be perfect around other dogs but he's more confident and can now be a lot closer to other dogs without getting worried and reactive. He can look, think and stay calm instead of looking and immediately reacting.

Could you try the same tactic with Fraser? You're already scanning for other dogs so while doing that watch Fraser and the split second he sees the other dog say "look at that" and reward him. I think if I was you I'd also not let him greet other dogs while he's on lead for the time being, simply to take the pressure off him. He has doggy company while at doggie daycare so it's not like he has no other interactions with dogs. Stick with those positive ones for now and try to avoid the negative ones?

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
Thanks, and sorry for posting in the general discussion. Just my incompetence. I thought I was in the Bahaviour and Training forum, but I must have gone to look at something in the general one and forgot where I was. Such mental blunderings increasingly common these days.  >:D Yes, we'll work on it. There's a lot of commentary out there on the problem, so lots of people have it with their dogs. I'm going out well armed with high value treats and luckily he's a little piglet when it comes to food. And I think the 'to heel' walking is going to be an important part of walkies so he's not given much opportunity to forget he's supposed to pay attention to me. He can play off lead in the back garden, and he does get to play with other dogs from time to time at daycare.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:20:54 PM »
I'm on day 3? 4? of strict to heel walking with Fraser. Lots of treats dispersed. He has been really good at paying attention and though we haven't actually passed many dogs, the couple we have encountered on the other side of the road, it seems to me it was easier to keep Fraser's attention on me and the treat. So far, no incidents of lunging and barking, but also not many trigger occasions yet.