Author Topic: Advice please!  (Read 1774 times)

Offline CrazyClover

Advice please!
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
Hello
I'm after some advice please! My nearly 5 month old working cocker Clover goes a bit bonkers when I leave her downstairs in the morning when getting my children dressed. This is on dasy when they've been downstairs for breakfast and then we go back up. She's fine when left downstairs in the evening when it's kids bedtime. The only difference I guess is that she's not yet had her walk in the morning so energy levels higher. She took a long time (2weeks or so) to settle at night when we first had her, and also used to howl/cry when left for kids bedtime but fine and relaxed now! Have tried leaving a special chew or Kong in the mornings, but doesn't seem to make a difference. I know many will say just let her follow us around the house, but we're not able to do this as my husband and son both have allergies so we do need to keep upstairs dog free. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:52:33 PM »

It's really hard juggling the needs of a young pup with the realities of family life...

When Honey was little, we found we needed to give her a little burst of intense play first thing in the morning - 5 mins of tuggy worked wonders.  Is there time in your morning routine to fit that in?  (Would really need to be an adult playing tuggy - but maybe enlist one of the children to hide some treats while an adult plays tuggy for a few minutes, then she can be sniffing out the treats while you head upstairs...?)

Fortunately our children came along once Honey was older, but we have recently introduced a kitten and, likewise, have found a couple of minutes playing and then a treat keeps her busy while we get ready for school/nursery.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline hoover

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »
You could take her for a walk first thing?  Would mean changing your schedule and getting up a bit earlier but might be worth it.

Offline CrazyClover

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies 😃you're right Karma it is a juggling act! My husband works away quite a lot so unfortunately the early walk wouldn't be possible most days (much as a solo walk first thing appeals!) I'll try the suggestion about an intense bit of play and see how that goes. This morning I must have made a really good Kong cause she was chomping on it the whole time we were upstairs with not a peep  :lol2: maybe it's just a matter of time... X

Offline daw

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »
5 month old working cocker only goes 'a bit bonkers' in the morning?? What's your secret?

Seriously it'll just be high spirits- she's complaining but not suffering at all. If you can stand it I'd provide the kong, any toys she likes and then ignore her. If you can hold out and have a few minutes, try to give her attention when you come down by asking her to sit and if you are calm yourself she might do it.  :005: It will get better but she's just a working cocker puppy. I think gradually she will learn that attention comes from not going bonkers but that comes with maturity.   

Offline CrazyClover

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »
Haha thanks Daw yes I've got to say that generally for a working cocker puppy she is very chilled! :shades: She sits down, snoozes during the day, has already stopped being a 'Cockerdile', all sorts!  :005:

Offline AlanT

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:56:15 PM »
I trained mine to go beserk on command. I use the word "spaniels", but "squirrels" works as well.

BUT I also trained "calm" at the same time. So we go mad, they all seem to do this, but we stop when I say.

I use the command once on every walk for 3-4 minutes, where there is loads of room.
I also allow a few mad spells around the house during the day.

Of course they can start spontaneously when someone knocks at the door. But I can usually "calm" them quite quickly.

Sometimes I meet other Spaniel owners and they say "your dog is so calm". I say, just watch this!
Fantastically satisfying to be able to do this.

Offline CrazyClover

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:23:57 PM »
Alan T, that sounds brilliant! So, how do you do it ? ( in 3 easy steps?!)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »
AlanT that's fab  :lol:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:24 PM »
Love it!!!!  :D

Offline AlanT

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »
It's easy if you start when young.

I realised that I would never stop the zooming about by saying NO. So I just joined in. Ran about, Waved my arms and kept yelling "spaniels". This makes them very excited.

Then after a minute or so I'd just stop, hold my arm up and say "calm", very slowly.
As I did this I'd bring my arm down. This caught his attention and there I would be holding out something nice.

As time goes on you shorten the mad periods. Sometimes we show off. "spaniels" "calm" "spaniels" "calm".
5 seconds of each. Hilarious actually.

The more you do this kind of thing, the more they pay attention and the quicker they learn. After a while it's just one more new game.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Alan, on behalf of lots of us here, we want a video!!! :005: :005:

Offline AlanT

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »
I will try to do a video on this. Sometimes the camera and tripod gets too interesting.

I have a couple of videos on here so you can see the dog working.

I've a few "out-takes" also building up also.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
It's easy if you start when young.

I realised that I would never stop the zooming about by saying NO. So I just joined in. Ran about, Waved my arms and kept yelling "spaniels". This makes them very excited.

Then after a minute or so I'd just stop, hold my arm up and say "calm", very slowly.
As I did this I'd bring my arm down. This caught his attention and there I would be holding out something nice.

As time goes on you shorten the mad periods. Sometimes we show off. "spaniels" "calm" "spaniels" "calm".
5 seconds of each. Hilarious actually.

The more you do this kind of thing, the more they pay attention and the quicker they learn. After a while it's just one more new game.

That's brilliant and I am definitely going to try it. I just need to find somewhere very quiet or risk being led away in a straight jacket  :lol:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
 :005: :005: -There'll probably be a medical condition named after us soon " Cocker Owner's Syndrome" Defination of which describes a welly clad individual racing round in circles and making yapping noises!!! :rofl1: :rofl1: :banana: