Author Topic: My Roxy is Jaundiced-so worried  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
My Roxy is Jaundiced-so worried
« on: March 05, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »
This afternoon I had to rush my beautiful girl to the emergency vet. I was performing my usual weekly checks on her (ears, eyes, teeth) I looked at her eyes and the whites were yellow! I then checked her gums... Also yellow. I rushed her to the vet who have been amazing. They took her bloods, gave her an anti sickness injection and a Vitamin B12 injection, unfortunately we have to wait until Monday for the blood results. I'm just so worried as the vet told me that it could be a problem with her liver or viral. It's so unlike her to be like this she's almost never ill. I guess I'm not looking for any answers here but just curious if anyone's CS has experienced the same or similar symptoms?
For now we're on the sofa, she's sleeping off the events of the afternoon. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: My Roxy is Jaundiced-so worried
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
No experience of this but sending out lots of  :bigarmhug: and hope the results of the blood tests are good. It'll be a long weekend waiting, no doubt!!
Fingers and paws crossed!  :D

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
Waiting is the worst :(

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way xx

Offline daw

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »
No experience of jaundice in cockers (have had it myself!-  and that was caused by hepatitis A and I got totally better so a virus is very treatable. And my goodness you are on the ball health-wise with her, got her some treatment straight away and gave her the best chance of being well again. Gold star to her owner! Good luck to you both.   

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
Wishing your little girl better, it is so worrying waiting for results.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:08:01 PM »
My first Cocker became ill very suddenly when he was 15. I went out to lunch with friends, leaving him for about 4 hours, apparently healthy and well when I left, and came back to a very poorly boy who had vomited several times while I was out and was jaundiced and in a state of collapse. I took him straight to the vet and they took bloods, gave him antibiotics and an injection or two (this was many years ago and I can't remember what the injections were) and I brought him home to nurse him, half expecting the worst because of his age.

He had a rough couple of days but then picked up and went on to recover well. The diagnosis was some kind of virus, but I never knew what. It was a one off and didn't recur or cause any long term damage that I was aware of.

I hope that the cause and outcome will be the same for your girl. Sending positive thoughts and hoping that she's on the road to recovery very soon  :bigarmhug:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:39:08 PM »
Hoping Roxy is feeling a little better now, and keeping everything crossed for good results  :bigarmhug:

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
Thanks all so much for your positive thoughts and wishes. She's still very yellow but the vet said if I noticed any change until Monday then bring her back. So far she's still eating and drinking. She's off her "normal" dry food so this morning I gave her 3 scrambled eggs which she wolfed down. This afternoon about 60g of poached fish and mashed potato again no lack of appetite. She's drank a small amount but doesn't have signs of dehydration yet. The only thing is she's resting quite a bit and she's very, very clingy. Just keeping everything crossed for tomorrow but I'm watching her like a hawk. OH took her for a very short walk this morning 15 mins or so and he walked her off lead without her leaving his side. Usually she's 4-5 paces in front so she's definitely not herself. [emoji53]

The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
Hope with all my heart that today brought good news for Roxy.

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »
Hi all, so I received Roxy's results little over an hour ago. Her albumin is slightly lower than normal but not drastically, her red and white blood count were ok which ruled out anaemia however the bloods dos reveal that the liver isn't functioning properly. We've therefore been referred to the Internal medicines department at the Royal veterinary Collage in Potters bar on Monday. We've been told it's likely she'll have an ultrasound and UG biopsy. She's fairly well in herself. She's eating, drinking and her personality is still there but at times she's a little subdued and quite sleepy. Please keep your fingers & paws crossed for our beautiful girl. I'll keep you posted on Mondays outcome. X

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
I'm sure the team at RVC will get to the bottom of it very quickly.

Bea spent a week in Internal medicine at Potters Bar after an emergency referral and they couldn't have looked after her and us better, they explained everything to me very clearly and where very supportive.

Will be thinking of you, good luck for Monday.

Sharon.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
Keeping everything possible crossed for Roxy and hoping they'll get her sorted out soon. I'm sure there isn't a better place for her than there!
Sending lots of  :bigarmhug: and good wishes for a speedy recovery!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »
Sending over positive thoughts for poorly Roxy :luv: :bigarmhug: She will have good care taken of her at the RVC, thinking of you on Monday :bigarmhug:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline daw

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
Fingers crossed for her. It's awful waiting to find these things out.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:  Keeping everything crossed here for good results on Monday - Ben and Harry are crossing their paws as well 

:luv: for Roxy