Author Topic: COI  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
COI
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »
Please can I just ask a question, I am aware of the discussions on here and have read the different views about a high COI so don't want to start another thread on that. I am starting to understand what it means, however just want to know how do you find out your dogs COI, and for example where would you look if you were puppy hunting to find out about a particular litter.   

I have googled it but can't seem to find simple answers or understand where to look.

Thank you  :D

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: COI
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
lets start from scratch please with what are they
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:32:15 PM »
Set up an account on MyKC (easy to do), then choose 'find a dog'. Choose cocker spaniel. Then type in kennel name of the dog you know. You can then find a 'hypothetical mating' and coi by typing in the other parent's name. Probably sounds complicated, but once you've set up an account and gone in it will all be quite simple. Good luck! You can also check the parents' health test results.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
I hadn't heard of it until the other day either, I'm pretty sure that it's fairly recent. I was off COL for about 18 months and have had Ebony 6 years and hadn't heard it discussed on here before.

I had a look at Ebony's health records on The Kennel Club and it's been added to her record of health checks. I just put in her registered full name. But I've just looked again and this time had to search "COI" and put in her parents names. Her's is 6.3%. Rosie's isn't recorded, she was born 2003.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »
just goggled it and now I understand. 

Its what goes on in a local town to us  resulting in 6 fingered people  :005:  Sorry could not resist 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:49:13 PM »
I just Googled it too as I've only recently seen it mentioned in posts on here. Interesting.

Offline daw

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 10:45:20 PM »

Its what goes on in a local town to us  resulting in 6 fingered people  :005:  Sorry could not resist

What are you like! :lol2: And I thought I could get into bother on here. (Yup- otherwise known by my doctor friend as Normal For Norfolk.)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:12 AM »
COI does seem to be a hot topic!  :D

There will always be different views on this subject, but I do feel it is another important factor for anyone looking for a puppy to research  and understand  COI. This will enable them at least to make an informed choice, while weighing up what is important to them.

I don't really see why you wouldn't be able to find a puppy that has the whole package.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:12 AM »

:005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
Have to admit, I'd not heard about it before I got my Odie and Archie.  It didn't seem to be one of the things to look out for or be aware of when searching for a pup.  With hindsight, not sure if their higher COI's had any bearing on their problems (Odie 11.9%, Archie 16.8%).  Monty's is 3.2% and I checked the COI out before I got him.  It wasn't the deciding factor however, although I was pleased it was fairly low, his upbringing, family life, health checks and mother's temperament were more important. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
I guess one danger could be that the less reputable breeders may jump on the COI bandwagon (presuming of course they have any idea what it is - I certainly didn't until reading the forum posts -) and use a lower percentage number as a selling point, disregarding other health and welfare factors, eyes, kidneys, temperament etc.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »
I agree, which is why it should only be part of a puppy buyer's extensive research.  :D

Offline daw

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
Of course it's part of it- but a massive part. And I think most people who go to the trouble of getting their heads around CoI aren't go to be the sort who then ignore PRA, say. Because the point is the current health checks can just give a tiny amount of genetic data- not even the tip of the iceberg, more like a sliver of the tip broken off the top- whereas CoI tells you about the state and prospects for everything else. Not in detail; just the best odds.

Ignore it when buying a puppy and it's like setting out to drive to Lands End in an unreliable car - but ONLY making sure you've topped up the wipers. And if anyone said to you 'Someone I know did this and still made it,' that's fine. Maybe you're feeling lucky. But at least make your choice in knowledge not ignorance.   

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
I guess one danger could be that the less reputable breeders may jump on the COI bandwagon (presuming of course they have any idea what it is - I certainly didn't until reading the forum posts -) and use a lower percentage number as a selling point, disregarding other health and welfare factors, eyes, kidneys, temperament etc.
Yes, as many have on the health testing...  They realize very quickly that adding a couple of health tests allows them to add a couple of hundred pounds onto the price/puppy.  And producing puppies with low coi is even easier as you just need 2 randomly bred dogs with few relations (common with b/y breeding) as the lines are usually not very well known, or add a worker to show - so less chance of common ancestors.

I agree, which is why it should only be part of a puppy buyer's extensive research.  :D

Exactly.  Well said.  There is soooo much more than just checking for coi and health testing.

Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
Set up an account on MyKC (easy to do), then choose 'find a dog'. Choose cocker spaniel. Then type in kennel name of the dog you know. You can then find a 'hypothetical mating' and coi by typing in the other parent's name. Probably sounds complicated, but once you've set up an account and gone in it will all be quite simple. Good luck! You can also check the parents' health test results.

thank you that answers my query perfectly - I will have a look  :D