Author Topic: Comments that leave you shaking your head  (Read 3914 times)

Offline sodpot2000

Re: Comments that leave you shaking your head
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
Many years ago I was given very sage advice - you should never argue with a fool; people may not be able to tell the difference!

On that basis, you were right to maintain a dignified silence.

Offline Jazz

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 03:58:28 PM »
Another saying I like is 'Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level - and then beat you with experience!'

Having said that Jasmine can have flashes of dumbness - she likes to play with an ice cube, and then buries it in the garden to play with later ...  :005:

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
When I took Honey to the vet he asked me if she bites, I said no. He replied that he'd been bitten by a golden cocker once!! He's a VET!! Surely you expect to get bitten once in a while in that occupation!! I still don't like him and will be changing vets once I've got Pips insurance claim sorted out!
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »
No, it didn't spoil our walk but it amazes me that people come out with these things, especially as he had a stall selling items and he even said, "they're not going to buy anything cos I called their dogs thick"  >:(  Funnily enough, the things he was selling wasn't my cup of tea but it's like saying to him "that's a load of cr@p, I wouldn't give it houseroom"  :lol2:
I would have said just that , perhaps his cockers realised how stupid he was and ran rings around him without him even knowing, ive had 5 cockers and non were stupid though some were clever and devious too  :005: :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
I would never say either of my pair are brains of britain but they both have me wrapped round their paws ;) ;) As for the cocker die half trained quote I can agree to a point, my pair are generally well behaved but have far too much personality to be 'robot' dogs which is what some people expect from their pets. I chose to work with my dogs quirks and foibles rather than try and train them out of them completely
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
I would never say either of my pair are brains of britain but they both have me wrapped round their paws ;) ;) As for the cocker die half trained quote I can agree to a point, my pair are generally well behaved but have far too much personality to be 'robot' dogs which is what some people expect from their pets. I chose to work with my dogs quirks and foibles rather than try and train them out of them completely

I couldn't agree more :D :D :D

Offline John_Stothert

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »
My thoughts entirely, mine will never be a genius, but if I wanted a totally subservient dog I'd have got a border collie, it's the way they are which makes us adore them, OK, so where is that ball :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »
I often find some suggest cockers are thick because the dog has got the better of them ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 06:56:03 PM »
 ph34r ph34r >:D Well good for him, his Jack Russell is obviously more intelligent than him then.  I think he was probably too "thick" and on a different wavelength from the cockers . ....  :angel:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »
No way can you generalise breeds like that, dogs are just like us some very smart and some not so much. There is also the question of smart or obedient I have had dogs that were very well behaved and easy to train but I would have not said they were particularly very smart. The smartest dogs I have had have all been harder to train but once working they have been head and shoulders above the dogs that were a doddle to train.
Teal is definitely in the smart camp  >:D >:D >:D

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline AlanT

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:33 AM »
Yesterday I decided to train a completely new game.

I have a ball with a hole right through on the end of a long string.
This goes into the river when we go swimming and it sinks quite quickly.

The dog must swim out and retrieve it before it goes to the bottom.

We practiced on the stairs for ten minutes or so.
He'd never seen this contraption before and was wary of the string.

Took about ten throws at the river to get the first retrieve.
Played at this for a hour.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
Just going back to the original topic, if I may.
There's a woman in our village, fancies herself as a bit of a Barbara Woodhouse, I think.  Yesterday, she strode up to Blue, who's nicely in the midst of teething, shoved her hand right into his mouth and .....
'Oh!', she says, all surprised.  'He's still very nippy isn't he?  You want to put a stop to that!'.  >:(

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »
I'd have said, "actually I have, the last person who did that was Venus di Milo"  :005: :005:

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »
Hahahahaha!  Wish I had thought of that!  :005: