Author Topic: Deafness  (Read 1868 times)

Offline revis

Deafness
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »
Maggie who I have just written about with warts is completely deaf and does not have great eye sight. She cries a lot now. When she wakes in her bed she looks around to see if I am there and if she can't see me she cries. It's like having a small child. If I go upstairs and she notices I have gone she comes into the hall and starts a very sad cry which then turns into a bark eventually. I tell Jessie to go and see her which she does. It's so sad seeing them get older I just want to spoil her all the time!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: Deafness
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
Bless her.  If only they could stay young forever.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:44:36 PM »
You could be describing my Ben, he is completely deaf and sight not as good as it was, he just wants to be with us all the time and wanders like a lost soul if he can't find me or OH.
We are fortunate that OH is at home so there is actually only one day a week where Ben is on his own for an hour.

I agree with you it's so sad seeing them get old, I am finding it so difficult watching my boy

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:08:27 AM »
Poor old girl... and poor you.

From 14 years old our Betty's cataracts  got worse and worse,  and at the same time her hearing failed progressively with her eventually becoming completely deaf on one side and only having 10% hearing on the other .  Its very sad to see this happen to someone you love.

We were lucky.  Our girl just took it stoically and didn't let it upset her,  nor did it stop her from running free on both well-trodden and new walks.  Fortunately she has still enough sight left to workout basic landscape outlines,  and her sense of smell remained intact so she always found her way back to us....eventually.   There were many funny times when she would go off,  get lost and then take 20 minutes happily bombing up and down tracks looking for us by scent,  often charging past just yards from us completely oblivious to our presence.  The secret was to stay still and quiet and wait for her to find us,  which she always did.  We're convinced that in her dog brain she reconstructed the situation to it having been us who'd gone off and got lost,  and her who'd found us!

Hoping your old girl learns to live with the isolation and find new ways to interact with you.
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B