Author Topic: Poorly old girl  (Read 8833 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Poorly old girl
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
Very pleased to read that Millie is a little brighter this evening.  The Siamese cat I had, was diagnosed with polycystic kidneys at 13 months old and was on Fortekor for the following five years.  Sadly she died young but that was due to a tumour not the kidney issue.

I'm not quite sure how Fortekor works but it certainly helped Chester - she had 20% usuable kidney function.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
Can't offer anything better than the advice you have had, just wish to say that I know how you feel, it is hard to see them getting older.  Cuddles for Millie, and I hope the next few days put a spring back in her step.  :bigarmhug:

Offline mymils

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 11:50:53 PM »
My heart is with you . Thirteen is a fantastic age,  and the information from Sumava Cockers is brilliant.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you and Millie, good to hear, that she is feeling a little brighter, everything crossed, that she continues to improve  :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
Sending all my support to you and glad to hear Millie is brighter

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
How's Milly doing Mymils?

Hope she's feeling stronger now?
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
There is a recipe for bone broth which many use when their dogs are off their food.  Good for nutrients.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/how-to-make-bone-broth-for-your-dog/

Sending you both  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline mymils

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Millie is still improving!  Thank you for all your good wishes and support.
Thanks to you Sumava Cockers your recipe for homemade soup is going down a treat with
Millie. I'm still using ipakitine and vit b tablets. Also using rehydration powders still.
She's been really hungry today!  :)  I've made her homemade liver biscuits ( hope this is OK for her?)
She loves them.
She hasn't been sick again but still has slight runny poos (sorry for the info!)
I'm just taking each day as it comes as she seems very frail still but seems
Really peaceful too. She's such a lovely girl.

Thank you patp for the bone broth recipe. Your very kind.

Offline mymils

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »
Forgot to say the vet said if she doesn't improve we might need to think about calling it day .
I think our girl must have heard him and is fighting back .... Hooray!  ;)
Must be the soup!

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »
Great to hear that she's getting her appetite back.

From what you wrote earlier it sounds like Millie still has around 50% kidney function.  Betty survived her time since diagnosis with between 20% and 30% function.  So there's cause for hope. 

Don't know about protein level in liver biscuits,  but in all likelihood Millie's instinct will drive her to having an appetite for the foods that are best for her.  Let her eat what she wants and if like betty she starts becoming fat,  that's not a problem as she'll need energy reserves to get through future challenges.

All the best to you both.

Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline mymils

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
Thanks for your advice :) really have appreciated it. Hope we have Millie as long as you did with your Betty.
Millie doing well again today.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Good to hear Millie is doing better. x

Offline mymils

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
Hello everyone just an update regarding our lovely Millie and a query please. I took all your advice about the right diet for her. However in the end I have been feeding her on white fillet of cod or pollock as it seems to really agree with her.. She literally just has this with some pro-coalin paste nd ipackitine. She has approx  4 or 5 small fillets every day. She is still very tired and listless but she still has a short walk every day  but sleeps most of the time. However, she seems really peaceful, isn't shivering anymore and actually sleeps through the night (this has been unheard of for the last few years). She enjoys eating the fish and I have noticed her eyes look a little brighter and her skin isn't as itchy either.
She is by no means back to how she used to be but its like a mini miracle that she still with us and so peaceful.
My query is am I being cruel just giving her white fish (cooked in the oven with a touch of butter and water)?  Her poo is a bit firmer now and she hasn't been sick for a while but I don't know if this diet is good enough as someone as suggested Millie should have a varied meat based diet. Sorry to write so much but just want the best for her while she's still with us.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »
Personally, I don't think so.  Millie is getting what her system can cope with.  You obviously see an improvement in how she is, and from the sound of it a few issues have been resolved.  Little and often meals are a good way to go, and I really admire your dedication to this little one.