Author Topic: Under the weather  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Sarahsdogs

Under the weather
« on: April 04, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
I'm a bit worried about Mollie, she'll be 11 this year and has been acting a bit strange lately. The last month, sometimes when out on a walk she stumbles and trips over herself and has also started to slow down and refuse to walk any further. I mentioned to the vet a couple of weeks ago when she had her booster and she checked her over and basically said her joints were ok but if worried or gets worse come back. Since then she's been having a few accidents inside, some during the night or if I go out for a couple of hours but quite often when I'm home. She seems reluctant to go outside and when she does go out she'll go as soon as she comes back in  or she'll walk towards the door when I call her to go outside and then she will go just inside the back door then go outside.

The most troubling thing though is that on Sunday my daughter took Mollie for a walk down to the sea but had to cut the walk short as apparently Mollie  fell over and then was walking really slow. When she came back I checked her over, seemed to be walking ok and she took herself to bed. She slept most of the day but seemed quite happy and ate her tea fine. Later in the evening she became a bit fidgety and came and sat on my lap (Mollie has always been very independent and not really a cuddly dog). I noticed she was shaking/trembling and doing a mixture of panting and yawning. I was on my own at the time and didn't have a car so I rang my OH and said Mollie was acting strange and was worrying me so I thought he needed to come back just I case we needed to take her to the vets. This strange episode lasted about half an hour or so and she was asleep on my lap when hubby got home. When she woke up she was a little unsteady on her feet and had messed herself. She then seemed back to normal so I decided I'd sleep downstairs overnight to keep an eye on her but she slept through the night as was fine. I rang yesterday to get an appointment but the first I could get was this evening. Yesterday she seemed fine until just before everyone got home when she again seemed to shake and pant but didn't last so long. Today I popped out for an hour and a half and came back to find Mollie sitting on the sofa but acting a bit strange, she wasn't shaking but seemed a bit confused. I went to let both of them into the garden, Mollie started to walk across the lounge weaving slowly then messed herself. Since then she's been curled up asleep under the table.

Like I said we have an appointment at the vets tonight but just wanted anybody's opinion as its seems strange and have no idea what's causing it.

Offline Bthayer

Re: Under the weather
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
What did the vet say about Mollie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
I think only your Vet will be able to
guide you ...it's so very difficult
with the Oldies it would be rash to
suggest something on the basis of
a forum post.
I do hope you find an answer and send your
Mollie some gentle hugs and squeezes :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
Agree with last comment. Do hope its nothing too serious, - sending healing thoughts and hugs to Mollie!

Offline Sarahsdogs

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »
Thank you. I wasn't really asking for advice on what might be wrong, just that as I'm worried and this is an oldies thread whether anyone had anything similar I suppose. I'm not going until just before 6pm but she seems ok at the moment and I do hope the vet can get to the bottom  of it. It's hard to put into words exactly what's wrong as it seems lots of little unrelated things, but I do know Mollie and I've felt for a while she's not herself but couldn't quite out my finger on it and thought maybe it's just her age but the last few weeks the family have noticed too. I'm not sure where to start to try and explain to the vet as its various things which are not "normal" for her.

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
You know your dog better than the vet or anyone else so just explain as best you can. Hope all goes well.
Eze passes on her best wishes 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
Hope she is OK x could she have  reacted to the vaccination?  Personally I don't booster since last year as the Lepto vac has caused us a few issues.  The world vet guidance is that they don't need vaccinations every year and shouldn't be given to dogs who are unwell.  Might be worth asking your vet x

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 11:35:35 PM »
I think you said she was acting out of character before the vaccines.  I find if they don't want to go far on a walk, they are in pain.  I really hope your vet does a blood test and checks neurological reactions.   Do let us know what they think. Xx
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
I wonder how you got on with
Mollie :luv:@ The Vet???
Hoping for an update... :D

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
I am wondering same thing, hope it went well but no update concerns me 😞
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.