Author Topic: Imgbb photo uploader- call me suspicious  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Imgbb photo uploader- call me suspicious
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
Now we are not able to use Photobucket, I followed the link to the imgbb site. Now I am very cagey about signing up to things on the web. What put me off was the misspelling 'upload you photos' instead of 'upload youR photos'. A lot of the spam emails we receive contain spelling mistakes. So I did a search for 'imgbb reviews'.. There are very few, and it would also appear that they embed links in the photos
http://review.easycounter.com/ImgBB-trust for example
Now I'm not au fait with all of this, being of a somewhat silver surfer  :005:, but I'm not totally green either. Neither am I challenging the OP who gave us the link.  TBH COL is the first site where I've had to use an outside site to upload photos, and as an artist I upload stuff on a lot of different sites, and have always done it directly from my computer to the target site without the necessity of a third party. I'm not saying imgbb is dangerous, but I would advice maybe a little more research and caution before signing up to it. I happily stand to be corrected, I just wouldn't want my fellow COLers to have their devices compromised in any way  :shades:

Cheers
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
Re: Imgbb photo uploader- call me suspicious
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
Thanks for you advice Lesley,
Just wonder if it is possible to just post photos from our computer without having a third party,
like you Lesley a silver surfer.. :shades: not quick to sign up on things without sound advice.
Glad I posted this now,once having got hacked into, and that was not even going on to a unknown site and losing
every thing ...a week later ££££  plus down to get a computer expert to sort it out he manage to save all my photos
of all my past dogs which was what I thought I had lost. Now very cagey about any spam emails etc.
Val

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »
I would agree that you do have to be very careful of these things. I use photobucket very seldom, so I won't be signing up to them or anyone else, free or otherwise. My avatar I posted directly from my computer on to this site.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
flickr is still reliable  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:45:31 AM »
At the moment I think Flickr is probably the best option (as Helen suggests)
Due to the huge demand on resources (bandwidth and disk space) we currently can't have photos uploaded directly to the site or on-site storage and display (apart from Avatars as they are small files) so we have to rely on third party providers, it's not ideal. The only way we could get round the issue and allow direct upload is to charge a membership fee or similar for using the forum, which obviously we don't really want to do as we've always been free and rely on kind donations to pay the overheads.

If anyone is currently using a free photo host that they find reliable and trustworthy please do let us know and we'll update the list of hosts.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
I've got a Flicka account, though I don't use it, but you are saying we can upload photos from Flicka to this site? If so I will delete my Photobucket account, which I only opened to be able to share pics on this this site, and try Flicka.

Cheers
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
I've used Tiny pic before but not
for ages.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »
I tried the Flickr app but you have to make sure you set the privacy to private otherwise every photo is public. Didn't really matter though because (on iPad) I couldn't figure out how the heck to upload a photo anyway. It wouldn't access my photos at all. Deleted the app.  >:( There doesn't seem to be a good alternative. Im so annoyed with phototbucket.  >:D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
Just to mention that Tinypic is owned by Photobucket
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ips

Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
Finvara
Your review link also has grammar issues "we did not found any" 😁

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
What I like about imgbb is that you don't actually have to sign up to anything. You can create an account if you want to save photos and access them online. But if you just want them to host a photo so you can post it here, you don't give them any of your information at all.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
No idea how they fund it. I use it on windows phone and I don't get any pop ups
PB used to take forever with constant ads..
My source that first recommended it on another forum assures me its a legit safe site. He seems to know his stuff but of course I can only relay what I am told and I am not in a position to give any absolute guarantee as to the safety of the site...