Author Topic: Puppy keeps biting second dog's ears  (Read 961 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Puppy keeps biting second dog's ears
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Anyone have any ideas of how to help with this problem please?  I've a 15 week old puppy, Snoopy,  and a 3 year old, Benji.  It's been going on for 4 weeks now and Benji does stand up for himself but the little one is very persistent.  Sometimes I've intervened and other times I've just kept a close eye on them but unsure what's the best thing to do.   I've various toys for Snoopy to chew on, besides the stones and anything else he can get his teeth into  ph34r    Any useful comments would be appreciated. 

Offline Micahs Mum

Re: Puppy keeps biting second dog's ears
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
This is something that has happened With just about every puppy I've had.

Probably the worst was Alby, who is a Golden Retriever now 2, he was attached to Logan, my other Golden Retriever now 3.5 years old. Logan never grumbled & didn't look at all bothered so I did leave them to it.

Micah, Cocker who is 14 weeks, is now hanging off Alby's ears.......it's Karma! If Alby has had enough he leaves the room, is Benji able to do that?

I didn't intervene between Logan & Alby as I knew Logan wasn't in the slightest bit troubled, he's so laid back, but if you are concerned Benji is unhappy I'd step in. What you don't want is it to ruin their relationship for the future.

At the moment Micah is grabbing Logan's tail & literally pulling his hair out & whilst Logan doesn't seem in the slightest bit bothered I am! When Micah had a solid "Leave it" that's what I'll use but right now it's not reliable enough so when I want I to stop Micah doing something I give a stern "Ah-ah" & divert his attention by giving him some instructions turning it into a brief training session & then play. I find I can use that "A-ha" throughout their life & it's very effective.
Micah's recall is very solid <at the moment!> so I can also use that & he does stop whatever he's doing & comes to sit in front of me. Hopefully one of these options will help you.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sam, ECS Micah & Golden Retrievers Logan and Alby

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
If you feel it is getting out of hand and pup is getting too excited by it, then try using a time out.  Just separate the two for a while and, hopefully, Snoopy will soon get the idea that if he gets too carried away, playtime with Benji will stop.
Julie and Watson

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
Thanks for your advice.  I'm taking him away when it's getting out of hand and also Benji has had his ears trimmed which has made it difficult for Snoopy to grab/bite  :005: