Author Topic: Willow-Entropion and Distichiasis  (Read 1034 times)

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Willow-Entropion and Distichiasis
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Willow is three and a half and has had lots of trouble with her eyes, First she had an operation for an ulcer and the vet thought that he saw signs of PRA whereby she would have gone completely blind within a few months. Thankfully that was a mistake but for the last 15 months she has had continuing watery eyes and more ulcers in both eyes. We saw an eye vet last Christmas and his diagnosis was dry eye, the ulcers being caused by her rubbing her eyes along the carpet to combat the itching. He also said that there were no signs of ingrowing eyelashes.
For the past year we have seen our own vet on several occasions and at least two other vets at the same practice and each time they too have stated that there are no signs of ingrowing eyelashes. About about a month ago Willow’s eyes had got so bad that we had to make another visit to the vet and this time he said he had a change of heart and that now he can see that she has Entropian and Distichiasis in both eyes. He said that Willow needs operations for each condition though he can’t be sure it will cure the problem but if we decide not to have it done her eyes will  probably become irrepairably damaged.
Willow is booked in for her operation tomorrow morning but our vet is on holiday and the operation will have to be performed by one of the other vets in the practice.
We are just so worried as to wether we are doing the right thing and, to make matters worse, our own long term health problems are making it very difficult looking after ourselves (me- vasculitis, heart, diabetes, neuropathy, all caused by
medication. Other half is recovering from stroke and must avoid stress) and we just hope that we will be able to look after Willow properly, but we both feel that putting off the operation any longer is not an option.
I would value anyones opinion on our situation please.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Willow-Entropion and Distichiasis
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:03 AM »
So sorry to read of all the problems you are having atm.

Sending you some  :bigarmhug: and hope that tomorrow goes as well as it can.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:54:07 AM »
Sorry to read this. Can't offer any advice I'm afraid as I've no experience with the condition but if you still have reservations, maybe another talk to the vet who's doing the op will put your minds at rest. I think its quite natural to be a bit apprehensive beforehand, none of us like the thought of our little ones having surgery but if its going to help prevent her sight deteriorating and keep her comfortable, then it sounds like the best option allround. She's still a young dog and at that age they normally recover from these things pretty quickly. All the best for you all! 🙂

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »
Sorry I missed your post last night

Coral came to me age 9 weeks with entroprion, she had her lower eyelids tacked and although it was heart breaking to see but believe me she wasn't in the slightest bit concerned herself  :lol:

At 15 months old she had a small procedure under each lower lid to correct the tightness.  To be fair, Corals problem was not so severe and only really showed itself in bright sunlight when her eyes would stream.  It was completely successful.  She did need protective eye drops for around a week but then you must be used to giving these - at age 2.5 you wouldn't know she'd had a problem.  As I recall the most difficult part of the whole procedure was my emotional state and keeping the cone on.....it has to be an extra long come to stop back paws reaching the stitches.  Her stitches stayed in for 10 days only.

Hope today passes quickly for you and that this solves the ongoing problem for your girl x

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Willow has gone into the vets for her operation this morning but I nearly changed my mind many times. I know that it has to be done though.
I am feeling sad for another dog on here today that is facing a worse time than Willow.
Bob

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 09:47:32 PM »
Milly was treated for Distichiasis six years ago.

Fortunately our vet practice had access to a veterinary ophthalmologist in one of their other branches and, following a bunch of tests, she advised removal of the misplaced hairs by electrolysis.
Milly came home the following day with two weeks supply of eye drops to be administered twice a day. She was checked seven days afterwards and again a month afterwards with everything being fine.

No matter the treatment used there will probably be a degree of regrowth and Milly was back to have two more removed about three years ago. The same procedure including an overnight stay and eye drops twice a day.

At her last checkup about three months ago there was no sign of any further regrowth.

I'm sure Willow will cope well with this and will appreciate a huge welcome home afterwards  :luv: with lots of treats  ;)

Bob.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:59:41 AM »
How did the op go?

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
We picked Willow up from the vets late afternoon complete with Elizabethan Collar which she hates. She a really bad night crying, but worse thing is that she would not stop shaking her head and trying to scratch her ears. It nearly sent her mad not being able to reach them as her ears are another ongoing problem.
The vet found just one ingrowing eyelash under her left eyelid and removed it and destroyed the hair follicle with electrolysis. Both Distichiasis and Ectopic Cilia have been mentioned but will have to ask which this is. Both eyes had eyelids turning in, Entropion  I believe. I thought Entropion is usually in the bottom lids but Willow appears to have both top and bottom done. Her eyes are so swollen it is difficult to se just what has been done but we go back to see the vet on Wednesday so we can ask questions then.
Willow has antibiotics to take twice a day and Metacam at night.
Will update again after Wednesday.
Thanks to all
Another Bob

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
Poor little girl, the first day or so are bound to be a bit stressful but I'm sure she'll be back on her paws before long. Sending  :bigarmhug: hope she's feeling better soon!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »
also sending some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and good vibes for a speedy recovery
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
Willow seems to be doing well after her op. Her eyes are healing well but the stitches are self dissolving which will take time. They look much brighter than I can remember seeing them but sadly there has been permanent damage done through
scarring and only time will tell how much she will be able to see.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
Willow seems to be doing well after her op. Her eyes are healing well but the stitches are self dissolving which will take time. They look much brighter than I can remember seeing them but sadly there has been permanent damage done through
scarring and only time will tell how much she will be able to see.

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that Willow's eyes look brighter and I'm sure she must be feeling a lot more comfortable. Hopefully the permanent damage won't affect her too much. One of my 2 Cockers has cataracts. They've never developed enough to need surgery, but the vet describes his eyesight as being like that of somebody looking through scratched sunglasses! It really doesn't bother William, so I think it's likely that Willow will adapt, or has already adapted, to whatever impairment of vision she has and that it won't bother her.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 08:29:30 PM »
Thanks elaine.e, we are a bit sad as I guess we all want our little cherubs to be perfect but life just isn't like that I know. Both eyes are wide open now with no more flickering and I believe she is seeing better already. I was a bit worried at first that the vet had stitched them open as I hadn't seen her blink but she is ok now. Just waiting to get this Elizabethan collar off as she is so dangerous with it running into everything including our legs. I think she see's it as a game.