Author Topic: Eating stuff  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Alwaysupforawalk

Eating stuff
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
Hi a bit of advice please!!

A bit of background! My last cocker had to have 3(yes 3!) operations to remove objects from her stomach after they got stuck!This was before she was 6 months old. We used a muzzle for a while and we stopped challenging her if she got something in her mouth(otherwise she immediately swallowed it) and she went on to live a long and happy life!

My new puppy is now 12 weeks old and things going generally well but she is a little hoover on our walks! I know this is a normal stage and she will (please let it be soon!) grow out of it but what do normal puppy owners do? I know my experience has made me more neurotic!! Do you take stuff away or leave them to experiment and assume they will spit it out if not edible!!
Last night on a walk(off lead) she found a large, fresh banana skin....as soon as I approached her she started to eat/choke it down! I'm sure it wouldn't have got stuck but yuck it cant be very good for her to eat all that??

I try to swap for treats in the house, but if she has a stone or stick etc she is quite likely to swallow it quickly to get the treat. And she was certainly not going to voluntarily give up that banana skin for the small treat I had!!

I'm trying desperately to ignore her most of the time but just wanted to see what 'normal' owners do.
So any advice or opinions welcome.

Offline James+Carly

Re: Eating stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
We also have a hoover! And had numerous trips to the vet for a funny tummy from eating things he shouldn't have (luckily we havnt had any surgeries.....)! We use to do the same and try to prise from Oscars mouth. Trying to prise a dead squirrel out of his mouth has not been either of our finest moments  :005: Oscar went through a 'poo' phase, especially cat poop, even now if he does get hold of it, not really much I can do. I try to keep looking ahead. I also found that if we was on the long line in the field and if I caught him just before he went to eat something, calling his name in a high pitch voice and running in the other direction tended to work! Obviously not ideal and i do look like a crazy lady!

Hope that's been of some help!

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
I think alot of cockers are always on the look out for food!  As she matures she may well leave stones alone, but sticks may stay a favourite!
Our first cocker had two operations to remove acorns (which nearly killed her) and our daughter's dummy.
It drives me mad the amount of food rubbish on our streets and sadly Maddie will pick up and eat everything.  >:D
 I find autumn the worst time as food bits get hidden under the leaves   >:( and the problem is that is self  rewarding so they do it more >:(
You have to have a really strong 'leave' command and see the food at the same time as them! I don't try to take it out of her mouth as when I tried recently it made her gobble the apple then she couldn't stop retching for hours.
I've settled for walking as fast as I can so that she doesn't get time to snaffle stuff, until I get to where I can see the ground well and she can then sniff. It also means I get  more exercise!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
I’m so glad I’m not the only one with a hoover...Lexi loves tissues she will grab and run and swallowed in seconds. Drives me crazy, I have been using a treat to get other stuff of her but that doesn’t work for tissues. She now steals a sock runs off when I don’t chase her she comes back with the sock so I can see it and give her a treat to drop it. But if I drop anything she dives for before she even knows its edible. Not such a problem on our walk but terrible in the house. She does suffer from pancreatitis and I often wonder if she has eaten something in the garden that she shouldn’t have. Sometimes I have heard her crunching on little stones. It’s a worry...[emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
Yep eze is murder for tissues also 😞
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
Yep Jett loves a tissue, even a used one on a walk  :020:

His favorite is socks, he would do anything to get a sock in his mouth.

He was sick a few days ago and an old sock did come out - which was worrying. So we are being extra vigilant at the moment as it could be quite dangerous.

Offline Alwaysupforawalk

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »
Good to know it's not just me!

Things have been a bit better recently, I have taken to walking a lot faster(when she's off lead), thanks lescef,  so she has less time to look for stuff!! and when she is on the lead I am scanning the ground intently as I'm walking to make sure I can pull her away from things! I also found if I give her a small stick at the beginning she will carry it for ages and doesn't eat anything then.

The days of my relaxing rambles with my previous dog are a distant memory!! Still good for my waistline I suppose as I march along! 

Offline ian.peet.3

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
I worry about our jet all the time ... He eats berries off bushes , starfish off the beach ,crabs, conkers,and copious amounts of grass .. But despite coming home and reading Google and then always having a sleepless night ..touch wood he has always been fine..the only time he had an upset stomach was when he ate to fat balls the neighbour had put out

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
I worry about our jet all the time ... He eats berries off bushes , starfish off the beach ,crabs, conkers,and copious amounts of grass .. But despite coming home and reading Google and then always having a sleepless night ..touch wood he has always been fine..the only time he had an upset stomach was when he ate to fat balls the neighbour had put out

keep away from conkers. I am sure they are toxic to dogs
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----