Author Topic: Thornit for other skin itching - safe?  (Read 3164 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Thornit for other skin itching - safe?
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »
   I'm looking after a friend's labrador at the moment who's scratching and licking himself intensely on his underparts and his paws. Apparantly it started a week before he came, my friend has ruled out fleas, she gave him a dose of expot and asked me to keep an eye out. Given the time of year, I'm wondering if its mites and if a dusting of Thornit powder  would help?(its actually Clearit, couldn't get Thornit but think its the same probably). I can't find any real clear information anywhere as to whether it would be poisonous if he licks it though. Can anyone help please? The skin just looks very dry and he is moulting anyway at the moment but there's no other obvious signs. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks x

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Thornit for other skin itching - safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
Hi Jayne while never used other than Ollies's ears this is the site www.thornitearpowder.com

Mentions an article about Australia and the transfer of ear mites to paws though itching of ears..............there is a link to their facebook page and some mention of use by others on other areas, it mentioned dogs paws and whether to use a large bucket collar to stop dog ingesting etc, the answer was to apply a small amount just prior to the dogs walk, you have to scroll down to find it, think the person asking was from Florida.

It contains iodine that's the smell that over powers, not so sure about the dog licking iodine!!

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
Could it possibly be harvest mites?  It's the season for them.  In case you've not seen them before - they're little dark orange critters.  And they cause intense irritation. If you look carefully between his toes you may see them (if it is them).  These can be treated using frontline spray.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
Many thanks both, - have looked at  the link and am pretty sure it is indeed the harvest mites but have decided to get a spray now after all as I think applying the powder would be difficult - (when you're used to dealing with a 14 kg cocker, this silent giant weighing in at over 40 kgs is  a bit daunting!005:). I've  found a herbal remedy here, so hope that'll sort it.
Thanks again for the info! X

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
You're welcome.  Hope it is them as they can be sorted quite easily.  Hope your visitor is feeling better soon.