Author Topic: Advice on anal glands needed  (Read 758 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Advice on anal glands needed
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
Hattie is now 9, and from the age of 10 weeks as had her anal glands emptied by the vet's.  She has them done around every 3 months, but last time one side was swollen and difficult to empty. For the last couple of weeks she has been uncomfortable with her bottom, so we went back to vet's who gave antibiotics for a infection.
She mentioned next step would be flushing.She is still uncomfortable so will be going back .

My question is flushing worth doing or anal gland removal better option,
Has anyone had the flushing done and it was success full and didn't need doing again.
I understand removal come with risks, did you dog suffer any long lasting side effects.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Advice on anal glands needed
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
gemma had hers removed last year at the age of 5.
 it was the first time hers had bothered her and  they would not heal. She went in to surgery to have them flushed but with permission to remove if the vet thought it better. When he had a look around her glands were so misaligned they were removed.  since removal she is fine, no problems to report and no resulting side affects.. Far better result than for her to have to go through that pain again.
we were told that if the flushing went ahead there was a great chance it would need repeating .
Your girl has suffered with these retched things all her life, take them away  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »
I can't offer any advice,  but we are in a similar position to you. Maddie, who is nearly seven, needs hers emptying regularly.  We usually manage three months at a stretch but they are sometimes infected. One vet has said they are misaligned, last week the vet said the tubes were so narrow they couldn't empty naturally. She mentioned flushing but not really suggested it for Maddie. I take it using high fibre supplements, like us,  hasn't helped?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »
Thank you for your replies. It's so hard to make the right decision, I have tried bran and although not made much difference still give it to her.

I will be going vet's again this week will let you know what comes of it.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
Jinley had hers removed in January after a few months of problems.  The only thing I wished I had done differently was to have full bloods done first to see if there was anything underlying that could be causing the problems.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 09:42:56 PM »
8 year old Louis had his anal glands flushed about a year ago after several months of problems with them. He hasn't had any further problems since, and had none before, so I'm hoping it was just a one off and will never happen again. But if it does I'd certainly sooner have them flushed to see if it works again before considering removal.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »
Kooki has had hers out too, only wish I had done it sooner. She recovered really quickly and was a much happier pooch without them
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce