Author Topic: Scariest moment ever  (Read 1587 times)

Offline PennyB

Scariest moment ever
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
Lady ignored the gundog whistle yesterday and ended going in wrong direction and straight down the bank into a very swollen River Taff yesterday.

I still have this image imprinted on my mind of her little body (she's only 10kg and age 13 but still norty) being swept away and just disappearing away from me ad knowing I could do nothing other than monitor where she was

There is a happy ending though and how I don't know - I really thought she was going to die and I felt so helpless

I enlisted the help of strangers (and a neighbour) as I went through the park - problem is only path throughout park means the river is obscured so I didn't have a clue where she might be by now. Thankfully I eventually got a call from a woman who had found her - Lady was a little disoriented and a very cold and wet spaniel (and why mobile phone numbers on dog tags are so useful). I went over the top with my thanks as I walked to meet her.

and boy was Lady freezing cold - she was very noisy at home too (she's very quiet normally) - heating went on, she was wrapped in 2 towels then her hotterdog fleece went on and vet called for advice - thankfully it was just a conversation about what to look out for as I'd done the main thing already - but her 1st words were 'omg, omg' when I told her what happened 
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Scariest moment ever
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »
oh good gracious, you must have been frantic!! So glad the little Lady's safe and well, I don't know about cats having 9 lives, I think our little cockers aren't far behind!!  :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
Lady most certainly has 9 lives. One of our park rangers also once nicknamed her Lazarus, which is also quite apt
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
How utterly terrifying, you must have been distraught  :fear2:  God bless,the woman who found her.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
our babies can have a way of causing us some frantic moments............so glad all is well.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
OMG - how terrifying.  Even at her age, she obviously likes to keep everyone on their toes!  Bless her heart.  So pleased she is ok and hope you have now both recovered from your ordeal!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
What a shock for you and Lady. So pleased, that she is safely home with you  :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline revis

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
How awful for Lady and you . So good that it was a happy outcome.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
How utterly terrifying, you must have been distraught  :fear2:  God bless,the woman who found her.

Lesley and Dylan

and there was a bloke who was there when it happened (with his spaniel) and he immediately dropped everything, including his smartphone, watch, backpack and jumper and ran off down the river to see if he could see her.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »
OMG - how terrifying.  Even at her age, she obviously likes to keep everyone on their toes!  Bless her heart.  So pleased she is ok and hope you have now both recovered from your ordeal!!

She's a little madam when she wants to be plus she still keeps up with the others even if its following behind but not too far - she has really bad hips as well yet she throws herself off a 6ft rock wall to get to the river
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
That is one gutsy/crazy spaniel! So glad it all turned out ok.