Author Topic: 'Useful ingredients leaflet from Pets at Home  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
'Useful ingredients leaflet from Pets at Home
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
Picked up a leaflet today called 'Dry dog food, what's in the recipe?'  It list about 50 dry dog food makes that they sell, plus some supermarket brands, and shows the main ingredient and it's percentage in the food, and whether it contains the dreaded meat and animal derivatives, and vegetable derivatives, plus cost of daily feeding. Very easy to understand and not as brain numbing as All About Dog food website. Pleased that the Evolution I feed Dylan on comes out very well at 70% meat (chilled chicken), AATu was good at 80. Many of them are very low in meat, and in some the main ingredient is cereals! A good leaflet to get for a fairly simple overview of quality. Even their own brand Wainwright doesn't come out too well. A good introduction before tackling the dog Food website, worth picking up a leaflet

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: 'Useful ingredients leaflet from Pets at Home
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
Sounds great, thanks for posting  :D AADF is good in it's way, but if this makes comparisons easier, that can only be good.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
Neither of the foods I use are in the leaflet.     Millies W. and Eden. Ok they aren't cheap, but i'd happily turn them into a bolognese  for my sons!  They both sell mostly online, so maybe not included for that reason.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Barry H

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
Neither of the foods I use are in the leaflet.     Millies W. and Eden. Ok they aren't cheap, but i'd happily turn them into a bolognese  for my sons!  They both sell mostly online, so maybe not included for that reason.

Mine neither, Pooch and Mutt and I bought that from Pets at Home
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
It's really only a general leaflet aimed at people who are not very clued up on dog,food,ingredients. I had quite a chat with the guy at PAH, as they have stopped stocking Evolution in the shop because it is quite expensive, so I will have to order it online from them. He was really keen to get people thinking about the ingredients in dog food but sighed that most people go by price and not quality. If it helps people,think about what is in their dog's food it's all good, I doubt the average joe bloggs has the patience to go through All About Dgfood. Every little helps   ;)

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
It's really only a general leaflet aimed at people who are not very clued up on dog,food,ingredients. I had quite a chat with the guy at PAH, as they have stopped stocking Evolution in the shop because it is quite expensive, so I will have to order it online from them. He was really keen to get people thinking about the ingredients in dog food but sighed that most people go by price and not quality. If it helps people,think about what is in their dog's food it's all good, I doubt the average joe bloggs has the patience to go through All About Dgfood. Every little helps   ;)

Lesley and Dylan

I think it is a great shame that anyone is guided simply by price - this can go both ways!  I was disgusted that Cuffleberry was being sold as a premium brand at over £2 per tin - statements such as 'restaurant quality' were made on the very fancy packaging, but apart from there being real vegetables included in the tin, the meat content was all 'meat and animal derivatives" - so basically, cheap pet food in fancy packaging priced at the top end!  Sadly, when I left reviews stating that I wasn't happy with the product as it contained 'meat and animal derivatives' I got replies such as 'what's your problem, it's not vegetarian, of course it's got meat in it!'.  I then amended the review and simply asked that anyone thinking of buying the product should first research 'meat and animal derivatives'.  Some people may not have any issue with feeding this to their dog, BUT I'm pretty sure that those who pay over £2 per tin are expecting a whole lot more than the floor scrapings!