Author Topic: Puppy feeding advice  (Read 2040 times)

Offline poptart

Puppy feeding advice
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
Hi folks,

(Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the puppy forum. Mods please move if I got it wrong.)

Got my new bundle of joy on Saturday and he's settling in nicely. The breeder was feeding him a mixture of Skinners Field and Trial Puppy food and Butchers tripe three times a day which he eats without a problem but I do find he gets very hyper after meals, almost manically so at times. Is this normal for a cocker or should I think about changing to another brand?

Also, someone online recommended giving him a marrowbone from the butcher. I'm sure I saw somewhere you shouldn't give puppies real bones in case they splinter. Is that right, or have I dreamt it?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline juju

Re: Puppy feeding advice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
I gave Izzy Butchers Tripe once or twice when she was a pup as it is supposed to be good for getting a bit of weight on. I could not believe how hyper she was straight after eating so had to stop feeding it. After a lot of trial and error over the next year or so I found Millies Wolfheart was best for her.

Offline poptart

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »
Thanks, Juju. That's interesting, I'd been thinking the kibble might be the problem but now you've got me wondering. I gave him Butchers select cuts instead today and I'm sure he's not so manic. Could be he's settling down with us, of course.

Feeding can be tricky. My first cavalier had Butchers tripe all her life and never a problem with it. Theo, my current cav, started off on Iams when he came from the breeder but that definitely made him crazy so I put him on Butchers instead. That was fine for a few years then he kept getting stomach upsets so we changed to Hills.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
Henry went completely mental on Millie Wolfheart kibble. Switched him to Burn kibble, whcih is fairly low protein, mixed with Millie Wolfheart wet food and he calmed down almost immediately. If you experiment you’ll find the combo that works for your dog.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline poptart

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
Thanks, Londongirl.

I've tried him on the Butchers trays and he does seem to have quietened down so we'll stick with that for the time being.