Author Topic: Barking like mad!!  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Re: Barking like mad!!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
Argh! So unsurprisingly Joey picked up very quickly that he got a treat when he barked (as per fist stage of the video) but then he continue to bark as he thought his would get him more treats. I continued to follow the video method but instead of remaining quiet after his first bark he barked again and again so now I feel like I’m just reinforcing the barking and now he’s barking almost more as he thinks that will get him a treat! Occasionally he does stop after my first quiet so I feel like he sort of half has it! But argh! What do I do now...? I feel like if I go back to square one he’s only going to bark more (this was my initial fear when I first watched the video).

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:01 PM »
Are you using a clicker? This is great for reinforcing the behaviour you want, as the dog gets to know that the clicker is telling when he is doing it right. A lot of it is waiting for the dog to do the thing you want, I.e. Bark or Be quiet, and clicking when he does it.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »
Are you using a clicker? This is great for reinforcing the behaviour you want, as the dog gets to know that the clicker is telling when he is doing it right. A lot of it is waiting for the dog to do the thing you want, I.e. Bark or Be quiet, and clicking when he does it.

Lesley and Dylan

We, very luckily 🙏, don‘t have barking issues but I agree that a clicker is great for training, you can capture the Exact moment he‘s displaying the behaviour you want and you‘re less likely to end up inadverently rewarding the wrong thing. If you haven‘t used one already, you will need to practice teaching him what its all about, but its certainly worth a try. There‘s lots of info and videos online.
Best of luck!  ;)