Author Topic: Lead pulling  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Jude19

Lead pulling
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
Am looking for reassurance that my 7 month old Orange Roan puppy will grow out of this.He is doing well at scent work and obedience but constantly pulls when off for a walk. As a young puppy he sat more than walked, taking everything in but the pulling started as he became a little older.I understand his excitement when doing the 3 minute walk to the park where he runs off lead but he is the same when returning home and country lane/estate walks. On advice from training I have changed direction many times rewarding good behaviour with treats and he understands the word slowly but reverts to normal after about 5 seconds. I have just ordered a Walk your Dog With Love harness which has been recommended by a trainer so hopefully this may help. Normally he is on collar and lead or a car harness which goes around his shoulders as this is kinder than the collar when he is pulling and sounding like a train. My last female cocker always pulled as we returned nearer home but not to this extent and my joints are getting quite painfull as I have to lean backwards when walking with him. All ideas welcome please.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Lead pulling
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
Hi and welcome! Cockers are renowned pullers and I think most of us have had or still have a problem with training loose lead walking, if you look through some of the older threads in the training section you‘ll find lots of tips and advice - (Londongirl posted a diary of her loose lead training which was great but you‘ll need to go back quite a while I think).
Its still work in progress with my dog Humphrey, now 2,5 years but I have to admit to not  having been as consistant as I should have been and would do it all differently if I was starting out again, My advice to any new cocker owners would be to decide on a training method and be consistant and patient. There are lots of different opinions on the best  way but I think it confuses the dogs if you keep chopping and changing methods. Try and be persistant and avoid allowing the dog any opportunity to succeed in pulling you along! It isn‘t easy though and its not something you‘ll achieve in a couple of weeks, so you‘ll need patience but rest assured you‘re not alone! Best of luck!

Offline Jude19

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:07:29 PM »
Thanks so much for this, I will research old posts.Also I do let him pull me even if just to get to the park and let him off to give us both a break so patience and consistency is what I need. It's encouraging to know that others have the same problem. My new harness has arrived today so hopefully that will help. Icy weather hasn't helped recently !

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »
I'm always trying new things with Bonnie. I found stopping when she pulled didn't seem to register with her, she just pulled in a circle then! So I've started taking three steps backwards if she pulls and then moving again. Been doing it two days and she's doing amazing. She's on a 6ft lead and can walk wherever she likes so long as not pulling. Crossing roads she does an adorable heel.

Of course, it could just be the latest shiny thing and I'll be back to tearing my hair out tomorrow.

Offline Jude19

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion of a long lead,worth a try, maybe the lead I use is too short, possibly a puppy lead.As I know he's a quick learner in other areas I think I need to put more work into the doubling back and not moving until he stays with me.So cold at the moment to hang around but it must be done.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »
There are lots of training videos on youtube etc which might help you, one of the them that does actually feature cocker spaniels (very rare  ;) is  from Top Barks. Best of luck, let us know how you get on!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
Hi I'm no expert but I dont recommend a long lead as it just encourages pulling. What I did was keep him on a very short lead on my left hand side. Everytime he pulled I stop walking. When he pulls I say no heel and he goes by my side. Its not perfect he does occasionally drift ahead of me but as long as he's roughly by my side and not doing anything else that's fine. He's nearly two i got him when he was 7 months old so it's going to take time it wont happen in a few days. As others have said be consistent and don't chop and change methods. I also never used treats just lots of praise.

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:48:48 AM »
I found the Walk Your Dog With Love harness a great help in reducing Fred's pulling.  I also ordered the long lead from the same company as it's a good length and is comfortable to hold.

It hasn't completely stopped him pulling completely but it has reduced it dramatically and a very light tug, if he's going too fast, brings him back again.

Our trainer told us to have a treat at knee height to keep him focussed and "pay" him with it every few steps to begin with and gradually decreasing over time.  Also,like others have suggested, to stop or walk in circles.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »
I dont recommend a long lead as it just encourages pulling. What I did was keep him on a very short lead on my left hand side.

Hi, I would agree with gazrob here, a long lead was great for recall training our pup but useless when teaching loose lead walking. I use a halti lead attached to a harness (I don't use it as an over the nose halti, just like this lead as you can adjust the length of lead using the 3 clip points)
I keep Leo on a shorter lead next to my side when he's on the lead, I do allow him to go ahead of me but generally when he pulls he now looks back at me and slows it down. I have always had success with treating as we walk, however I never treat whilst still moving as find he sees this is a release code.
In the beginning stages I walked 50-100yds, stopped, treat, use a 'ready' command and encourage him to my side, then when he was relaxed and calm, start walking again. This has really worked for me, over chrismtas Leo has barely left my side or pulled however I know from experience that this is time consuming... a 30 minute walk would take 50 minutes on a bad day! But providing consistency is there then i find it didn't take long for him to twig on.

I've had Leo 10 months and I do find that sometimes I get a bit relaxed with it which encourages him to pull again so it is an element of training that needs constant revisiting.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »
Interesting method Leo.  I haven't used treats at all to train my dog. Just lots of praise. If he knows I have got treats on me that would just distract him from his task.  Walking in inside circles also works I feel. Another tip try walking close to a wall or a fence so that gives the dog less freedom. You will just have to try what works for you and your dog at the end of the day.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »
I dont recommend a long lead as it just encourages pulling. What I did was keep him on a very short lead on my left hand side.

I know from experience that this is time consuming... a 30 minute walk would take 50 minutes on a bad day!

While you are training loose leash walking, don't feel you need to cover the distance you would normally. If you normally walk for 30 minutes, then make your loose leash training walk last 30 minutes. Your dog is working his brain hard and will be just as tired.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »
Gazrob I feel I made the mistake of using treats from day one and therefore he now responds best to any training if food is involved, luckily he dosnt rely on it though. He will act as if he dosnt know I have food when loose lead walking and is really pleased when I present it. All dogs are different which is the difficulty I guess haha

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
Rosie is now 2 and was a terrible puller, still pulls if We are somewhere new and She is excited but found She is much better on a short lead.I have more control and can reinforce the 'good walking' command, very important for slippery cliff path walks,once She realises She is walking at my heel and that is where She is going to stay then I can loosen the hold on the lead and She just trots along.But it has taken a long time to get to this.Tried the walk my dog with love harness, stopping and starting, turning around etc all just seemed to confuse.It is definately a case of finding what works for you and sticking with it.We hardly use the long lead now, just for wood walks where She cant be let off ( has a huge prey drive, squeals like a banshee if She sees a squirrel, rabbit, pheasant....)and She pulls lije mad, We spend most of the walk in the brace position.....

Offline Jude19

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »
Thanks for all your advice and all suggestions read with interest. I'm amazed at the difference now I am using the Walk Your Dog With Love Harness. From the first use pulling stopped by about 90% or more, enough for us both to enjoy our walk. Still some pulling when heading to the park but manageable without my joints aching and so much easier to control him. Re treats, although our trainer at classes advocates click and treat, this just wasn't working on the walks but very much so on obedience exercises. I feel now as if we are getting somewhere and I just need to work on him crossing over from side to side in front of me as he likes to be on the grass/hedge side for sniffing. etc.I realize this harness doesn't work for everyone but worth a try and has made a huge difference to us.