Author Topic: Shaking / Nervous Dog  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Darwin

Shaking / Nervous Dog
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
Darwin whose now nearly 9 yrs old and has mobility and associatesd issues due to IVDD and had major spinal surgery 18 months ago, seems to be getting more and more nervous.

One example is shaking with nervous anticipation of being feed, but he seems to be getting much worse. Prior to food time he's is always lying in his crate shaking, you can actually hear his crate shaking from another room!

Any idea what we can do to calm him down. Do those plug in things work?

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Shaking / Nervous Dog
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
Would it be worth changing his routine around meal times, if he's not expecting to be fed then he can't get nervous.

Can you think of a reason for him to get nervous around feeding ?

Sharon.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
He's always shaken with nervous antisipation since he was a pup,  waiting for food, or if he thinks  he's going on an adventure, but over the last few weeks he's getting significant worse, I'm starting to worry what he's like when I'm at work.

I may have to try and change his routine, but he has a gravy bone at around 5.40am and then breakfast at 7.30am, but if I move things forward he struggle whilst Im at work and waiting for this lunch time carrot. Feeding him a little earlier in the evening isn't a problem.

We've worked hard to be insinc with his bowel movements as he's no longer got full control due to nerve damage. A morning without having to clean up us less stressful for everyone!

He's been on reduced rations since his op, became he's not very active. It's worked as we've kept his weight the same. I had asked the vet if it was worth changing foods as he nearly 9, but was advised against it, as what we're feeding appears to be working.

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
So sorry to hear you're now experiencing a different problem. 

Regarding your question about the plug-in diffusers you can buy, in my experience they do work.  I have used them when Fred was a pup and also the feline version when a new cat arrived.  I think you can get sprays for bedding and possibly collars too, as well as the plug in diffusers.  Amazon stock them, along with a lot of other on line pet shops too.

Changing the feeding routine I think would help too as if he's not expecting food at that particular time, he can't get excited about it.

Good luck and keep us posted as to progress!
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
Hi, really sorry to hear about your problem.
Not sure if you feel it is fully down to anxiety/nervousness etc but if this was the case then I would recommend a website and Facebook page called 'all natural pet'.
The lady produces high quality natural pet products. In particular she sells a 'Calming tincture'
My pup is a lively little beast but also exhibits a level of anxiety at times. I used a diffuser which didnt do anything for him however the tincture sends him into a calm and relaxed state. The dose can be varied to suit the dog and it dosnt cost too much at all.

The best example I can give is a trip to the vets. Leo LOVES the vets (he's a little odd  :005: ) but he gets so excited about going in and saying hello to everyone that he then gets grumpy waiting around. I give him a few pipette of the tincture 20 minutes before going and now he lays down on my lap and falls asleep while we are waiting to go in.

Natural products like this arnt for everyone but I've found it super useful so I hope it helps if you choose to give it a go

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »
Hi, really sorry to hear about your problem.
Not sure if you feel it is fully down to anxiety/nervousness etc but if this was the case then I would recommend a website and Facebook page called 'all natural pet'.
The lady produces high quality natural pet products. In particular she sells a 'Calming tincture'
My pup is a lively little beast but also exhibits a level of anxiety at times. I used a diffuser which didnt do anything for him however the tincture sends him into a calm and relaxed state. The dose can be varied to suit the dog and it dosnt cost too much at all.

The best example I can give is a trip to the vets. Leo LOVES the vets (he's a little odd  :005: ) but he gets so excited about going in and saying hello to everyone that he then gets grumpy waiting around. I give him a few pipette of the tincture 20 minutes before going and now he lays down on my lap and falls asleep while we are waiting to go in.

Natural products like this arnt for everyone but I've found it super useful so I hope it helps if you choose to give it a go

Thanks. 
You're  not alone with a cocker that LOVES the vets, Darwin is the same, and has been since his  puppy party at the vets ( he managed to find a 10kg bag of food behind the receptionist desk and open it,  -  9 years on, I think he's still looking for the bag of food)  Considering every thing that has happed to him you would think he would hate the vets. Given the chance he'd head butt the consulting room door in an attempt to get in to see the vet, he's even climbed in to the vaccination draw as if he's selecting which one he wants.

I'm not sure about natural / herbal products that are not medically proven.  I would be the same if it was something for myself.  But I'll do some research, but I need to do something to calm Darwin down a bit, as apart from the shaking if he's over excited, he'll rush around too much, he's legs will give way etc.

Offline Digger

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
Hi-Just read your post. Hopefully your poor Darwin is feeling better now, but in case he is not, I just thought I would mention..I looked after a rescue dog for someone a year ago, and she had terrible travel anxiety. Even the shortest trip in the car would result in her being soaked in stress drool. I got her an 'adaptil' collar from the vets ( not cheap, but I think you could wrap it in cling film in between uses to prolong its life)..anyway, subsequent car journeys were bone dry. I took that as quite tangible proof that there was a definite effect. Apparently they give off the same calming pheromones as the mother dog does to her pups. Just thought I would share that with you.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »

Any idea what we can do to calm him down. Do those plug in things work?

Yes adaptil works! (Pheromone plug in thingy or collar or spray). But it varys from dog to dog and case to case how well it works. I have used it for separation anxiety and for travelling. I do see results, but I feel like it is most effective when combined with training. For my dog it definitely helped her through some difficult periods. And I've used the cat version at a vet clinic I used to work at many times. It would visibly calm many of the stressed out feline patients. On some it had no effect however, so it varys but is worth a try.

I would definitely try to change up the routines so he doesn't know when to expect things. Or distract him by giving him something to do before the events that make him shaky. Like going for a short walk (if he can). Or having him search for something, like treats, is a calming activity. Or simply doing some obedience training to snap him out of the "shivering in the crate mode".

T-touch is also something worth looking in to. I have a very high strung cocker, she struggles to relax. Doing some T-touch on her will actually calm her unless there is a lot of fuss around her. I would even say a thundercoat could be helpful. It is only effective when used for short periods. But putting it on before the nervousness starts for specific events throughout the day can help.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
Likewise I can confirm that Adaptil does work. Annie was very frightened when she came from many tears and we got one of the diffusers which we plugged in next to her selected 'safe place'. It just brought her down to a level where we could work with her effectively and (although we have not needed another) it was a really useful bit of kit at the time.