Author Topic: Food/Salmon Oil  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Matty777

Food/Salmon Oil
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
Hi I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice. We have had our new pup Bonnie for two weeks now and Ive kept her on the food she came with (Pets at Home Step Up).
I don’t rate it though as it gives her a lot of gas and makes her very loose, which is making toilet training a nightmare  🙈
When I got my first cocker, Meg, 11 years ago, Burns and a Salmon oil was recommended to me.
I gave her that for about 4 years but she completely went off it and I eventually changed.
The question I have is do people still rate Burns? Do you have any recommendations for a Salmon/fish oil that you can put on the food as I can’t remember which brand I used 11 years ago.
Thankyou in advance

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Food/Salmon Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL

Hi there, not sure about Burns, it does have quite a lot of  either rice, maize etc., in it, this suites some dogs, but not others.

A couple of makers of salmon oil you could consider are

Fish4Dogs -  https://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/dog-shop/salmon-oil-dog.aspx  or

Pooch& Mutt https://www.poochandmutt.store/collections/supplements/products/salmon-oil?variant=26733571655

but there are many more,
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Matty777

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »
Thankyou for your help.
I’ve been looking on all about dog food and theres so many Ive found it quite baffling!! I’ll keep looking though and hopefully find one that suits.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
My previous dogs were on Burns and did well on it. My current girl is on Lily's Kitchen and it really suits her. Burns definitely do trial packs, and I am sure Lily's do too. Might be worth a try.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »
When looking on allaboutdogfood, I don't take too much notice of the  scoring - more the ingredients of the food to find what I am looking for.

Burns also do  wet food now (not sure if they did 11 years ago) so that might be worth looking at too.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »
I buy my salmon oil from Sea Treats, they often have offers on:

http://seatreats.co.uk/cold-pressed-salmon-oil/167-salmon-oil.html

Both my cockers are fed Millies Wolfheart food and are doing well on it. It has good quality at a fair price. 😀
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Matty777

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
Thankyou everyone. I went to buy Millies Wolfheart as it said my local
Pet store stocked it. They didnt but they did sell Caragan. I decided to go with that and have introduced a small bit into their food today! So far so good, they wolfed it down 😀. Hopefully this will be the right one for them both.
I’ll look into the oil recommendations too.
Thanks again