Author Topic: To castrate or not?!  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

To castrate or not?!
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
So our little pickle is now 8 months old. He is a lovely boy and is really responding to training. He does however love to hump!  :005: He started off humping just his bed occasionally but more recently he’s started to hump any pillow or blanket he can get his paws on and is doing it more regularly. He is a really friendly dog- never had any aggressiveness and although he does have lots of energy he also loves to sleep so behaviour wise we don’t think he is currently showing any ‘macho’ or aggressive behaviours with regards to puberty etc.
So...what are people’s thoights and advice on getting him castrated?! We originally were thinking about using him for stud (lovely temperament and looks) but this is a mind field in its self and we are totally inexperienced in this. I suppose really we would like to know when we should definitely consider getting him done?! I know it’s personal choice but I’m interested to know people’s thoughts or experiences. Thanks.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: To castrate or not?!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
It is definitely a personal choice and every case is different so you are probably best off discussing it with your vet if you struggle with deciding :) But I would leave him intact :) He is healthy and happy so why put him (and your wallet) through an operation. You can probably get him to not hump inappropriate items with training since he is such a lovely dog :) With male dogs there is always a risk that castration can cause insecurity. Probably not in a happy secure dog like yours, he would probably be ok either way. But it is often seen in insecure dogs that they get worse after the procedure. So allthough a castration is a smaller surgery than a spay for a female, I would hesitate more with a male dog because of this.  If he starts to become one of the few hypersexual dogs and it causes problems for you then talk to your vet about getting him castrated. But I don't personally see a reason to do so if he has no issues. But that is just my opinion, I am sure there are as many opinions as dog owners out there :P

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »
Humphrey‘s nearly 3 and I‘m still undecided! It IS a big decision and as there are some very convincing arguments both for and against, I think it should be weighed up very carefully. Humphrey went through a phase of humping things when he was an adolescent but it was a phase that passed quite quickly, I have also read that this habit isn‘t always necessarily sexually related but just part of growing up. If the humping is your only concern therefore, I think I‘d be inclined to wait a while and see how things develop.
Everyone‘s situation is different, owners of dogs who live in towns where they‘re meeting lots of other dogs on a daily basis are in a different situation to me, living in the sticks and rarely meeting anyone. Although I decided I‘d only have Humphrey done if there was a medical reason to do so,( which could be the case eventually as he has one undescended testical which might need to be removed, ) the question arises every now and again when a neighbour‘s bitch comes into season and he  mopes about like a love sick teenager and I do feel sorry for him.
Whatever you decide will be right for you, but I would only advise to think it through very carefully, gather as much info as you can, there’s loads online, and don‘t make any rushed decisions, your dog is still quite young. Good luck!  ;)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
Just thought I’d like to offer advice from the other side! I have two girls, and like them to have two seasons before having them spayed. Pip has only had yearly seasons, so although she is nearly 3 she has only had two! ( Being spayed next week 😢) When I was walking her during her last season, I saw a dog in the distance, and not knowing if it was a male or female, I promptly turned around and went home. Only to find this entire dog on my doorstep! As it happened I did know the dog and owners so kept hold of him until they turned up. Just a word of warning that this can happen. Good luck with your decision x
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »
My dog Jett has been done (I think he was about 11 months old when he had the op), the reason we decided to get him castrated was because every time I took him out he would get randomly attacked by other male dogs. At first I thought it was a one off, but unfortunately it wasn't. It was on most walks and Jett was even on a lead and the other dogs would come over to him.
I rang my vet to discuss why this was happening and they said that he is probably letting off some sort of scent that other dogs see as competeition. Jett would also mark his scent on literally everything. He also started to walk off a litte further (this may not be related in anyway).
So after discussion with the vet we decided to get him done.
Afterwards we noticed an instance change in that other dogs left him alone and Jett does not mark his scent on everything. The main thing for us is that the attacks have stopped and Jett is now left alone to be his normal self.

So for us we are 100% happy with the decision. If Jett did not have any of the above concerns I probably would not get him done.
I was worried that it would change his personality, but he is still the same cheeky monkey.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
Personally, I decided against.  Jack is my best mate (now 3 yo).  Call me an old softy, but I couldn't do that to my best mate.  Everything contributes to making him the awesome Cocker that he is - and that includes his goolies.  Unless there's a legitimate medical reason I don't see the point.  Have had no problems with him and therefore no regrets.  I also have a sneaky feeling that it's just more easy money for vets.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »
Just as a p.s. to my previous reply, :- its apparantly possible to have a chip fitted temporarely that has the same hormonal effect as a castration so that you can  „test“ the results before making the final decision. I don‘t know a lot about it but do know its possible, so might be worth discussing with the vet. Its something I‘m thinking about for Humphrey at the moment in the hope that it could give me a clearer idea of what, if any, the long term effects would be......

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:31:20 AM »
Yes good you rembered that bizzylizzy. Suprelorin chip is an implant that slow releases hormones and causes temporary infertillity and lowered testosterone levels. Can last for 6 or 12 months and can give an indication on how a castration may change a dogs behavior. We use it fairly frequently in Norway since castrating dogs is not done routinely, only if they have an issue. The chip is sometimes used first to test if castration is likely to help with the issue before permanent surgical castration is done.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:49:29 AM »
I have had five boys and five girls in my life, six terriers and four Cockers. We only had one boy done, he was a rescue cocker and was very aggressive and nasty. Castration did mitigate this to a certain 3xtent, thoug he was never a nice dog. The other boys wer e'humpy' through adolescence, but this dwindled as they came to adulthood, and I never found any of them to be desperate to get to bitches, we never had any problems.

Of My bitches one was spayed after two seasons as I never intended to breed from her, and two others had pyometra in mid life, so were obviously done as emergencies. When they were in season I never took them out for a walk as I didn't think it was fair on the local dogs, I didn't want to cause any accidents with loose dogs running across the road to get to them.

My personal opinion, FWIW, is to not do it unless there is a physical or bad behavioural problem, but everyone is different, so just do your research and make up your own mind, but I would wait until he grows up a bit first.

As for using him at stud, a stud dog takes a lot of management, and once you have 'wakened up his desires', it's not fair on him if he is only used occasionally. The reasons for breeding are many, from the top champions down to a pet dog, but it should be to improve the breed. The thought of a litter of pups is lovely, but they are hard work, and there are already a lot of discarded dogs needing homes.

Lots of love to your little pickle, he sounds a delightful,dog  :luv:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
I have not had Ollie done, basically my thought has been he has no medical need, if he did I would have gone into discussion with the vet, he is secure in his environment and while even the most careful owner can have a dog get out, it is not likely with our home.  We don't have contact with families dogs etc which might be in season etc.  Next doors dogs are male also, and we have few barking episodes :005:

I think there are so many factors, and very much a personal choice.

Finally I do object to vets and others who try to enforce the view that if you don't intend breed then you should neuter.  I feel like saying would you like your GP to have that conversation with you :shades:

I can't comment on the hormone thing, but it is an idea..................many years ago a westie we had was given an injection with the view that his agression and excitment might be helped if castrated - if the injection helped hormones then the snip might be helpful, due to his aggression to my Dad he was castrated, did it resolve the issues....not much, it was more the insight from a dog trainer that helped.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:35:51 PM »
We had Archie done around 6 months as he was moping about panting, not settling, humping everything that moved and continually shark attacking us. We hoped that it would calm him down, unfortunately it didn’t. Shark attacks continued, humping continued and then he started guarding things and growling and snapping at us. I was interested to read the comment about becoming insecure, that’s what the Behaviorist said he was. We still have ongoing issues now he’s 12 months.....who knows if neutering contributed to anything!!! Definitely a personal choice and what’s right for you.
L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
We had Murphy (now 10 years) done at 6 months because we did not want him impregnating his twin sister, Molly, and she couldn't be spayed until she'd had a season. Murphy is lovely. Brave, but not aggressive, a big, cuddly boy. When we got Mason (now 10 months) there was the possibility that if we left him intact he would try to dominate Murphy and make his life miserable - so even though there was no medical need, and Molly was well beyond caring, we had him done at 7 months. It hasn't changed him in any way and he is turning into the nicest dog: curious, playful, never aggressive.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »
I had Toby my cockapoo done at 18 months, I was having problems with Branston at the time, attacking his two 'brothers' and reasoned that if Toby was castrated (Minstrel already was) then there would be no reason for Branston to worry that Toby was taking over.

It seems to have worked, hasn't changed Toby at all and Branston is more at peace with the world and his place within the fold. I took him to training classes and also did some 121 with him to find out his triggers and everything seems to have calmed down. Not saying it is perfect - we still have the odd scrap, but nothing like it was. (sorry if I have rambled)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
My personal choice in 31 years of Cocker ownership (dogs only, no bitches) has been to leave them entire unless there's been a medical issue, such as William's undescended testicle. He was castrated at 15 months. I wouldn't have had him done any earlier than that because there's plenty of proven scientific evidence that neutering dogs and bitches before their growth plates have closed and before they've gone through puberty can lead to joint problems from a young age.

I've never yet had a male dog that's been a sex pest, roamed off after in season bitches or marked indoors. My first one went through a really tedious phase of humping the legs of dogs and people when he was adolescent, but once his hormones settled to a normal, adult male level he stopped, and only ever humped his towel when being dried during the rest of his life :lol2:

The only marking indoors incident was when a 13 month old got a bit confused when a real Christmas tree was brought into the house and cocked his leg on it  :005:. I think it was just confusion about an outdoors thing being brought inside, because he never did it again.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
Both my boys have been castrated, Ben was done at 6 moths because lots of years ago th vet said that was what was done and I didn't know enough to make an informed choice so just went with it. 
Harry came to us at 8 months already castrated.  It hasn't stopped him humping he does it if he gets over excited after playing a game or sometimes when he is anxious he gets a bit humpy!!  :005:  So if that's one of your main reasons it doesn't guarantee they won't hump.

I'm not sure what I would do now if I had another boy from a pup but I am sure I would wait till they were a good bit over 1 to give them time to grow, mature and develop first before making a decision.