Author Topic: First puppy ever!  (Read 1464 times)

Offline EmmaJ

First puppy ever!
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and new to all things puppy related! We get our puppy in a few weeks when she will be 8 weeks old.  So far we have a crate, soft dog bed and a few puppy chew toys. I have struggled with guessing the size for a harness and dog coat, I also have no idea at what age she can go out for her first walk, is it after she’s had all her jabs? Well as you can see, we have a big learning curve ahead of us so any help & advice would be gratefully received! Thanks in advance. 

Offline RobinRed

Re: First puppy ever!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »
Welcome Emma. That is so exciting for you and welcome to the world of cockers. They are an adorable breed and give so much love back  :luv:. This forum is the best place for advice, before I got Harry (7 months) I think I must have read every post on here. Lots of people will be along to give you advice as there is a very welcoming bunch of people on here.

Sounds like you’ve  got the essentials. When we got Harry he was 9 weeks and we got him a snuggle pup (soft toy with a heartbeat) which helped him settle in his crate. He still sleeps with it every night 😊.
 :luv:
I think advice on first walk out varies depending on vaccine but my suggestion is wait until the vet tells you it’s ok - there’s too many nasty bugs out there to risk it. Also I was told 5 mins walk on lead per month of age to protect the pups joints.

Good luck and enjoy they really are special dogs  :luv:

Offline EmmaJ

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:08:36 PM »
Wow, I hadn’t heard of a snuggle pup but I’ve had a look online and ordered her one - I really want to make sure she has everything that she needs. I wanted to get some food in ready for her but I’ve read that we need to continue her on the food that she’s been on and carefully switch her over gradually. Only a few weeks to go! :D

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
hi and welcome. A new puppy  :cool4: :cool4: for us to " help " bring up .
Personally, i would use a collar as she will grow up fast. Also even before she can walk out take her out in your arms so she can get used to traffic, people, noise etc. You wont get very far due to everybody stopping you ( some of us even turn into stalkers where spangles are concerned)
The other thing I will say, it will not be a bed of roses all the time. Just remember when you are tearing your hair out and climbing the walls we will be here ready and waiting to take your call. There is not much that passes here unresolved. So, between now and puppy arrival day get as much sleep as possible. But most important, stock up on wine, chocolate and do a sock count   :rofl1: :rofl1:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline EmmaJ

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
A sock count! :lol:
It’s scary to think that it’s going to be like having a baby in the house (and I have no experience of that either!)
I like your suggestion about taking her out in my arms.

Offline EmmaJ

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
The one thing I forgot to ask is pet insurance. I read a thread on here that was a few years old and talked about the not so good companies to go with but would love any recommendations on ‘good’ insurance companies, so far, I’ve had Pet Plan recommended.

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »
Ha, sounds about right min ,😀
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »
The one thing I forgot to ask is pet insurance. I read a thread on here that was a few years old and talked about the not so good companies to go with but would love any recommendations on ‘good’ insurance companies, so far, I’ve had Pet Plan recommended.

Hello and welcome!

Seven years ago I went through exactly what you are going through now!  Since then I appear to consumed large amounts of chocolate, wine, kitchen roll and appear to have gained another three Cockers and an OH......all down to the first one  :005:

Don’t forget the five minute guidance - that’s 5 minutes walking for each month of age, upto three times a day I.e. age 12 weeks to 16 weeks is 15 minutes at a time.  This is to protect their bones until she has stopped growing.

Insurance - my experience is that Petplan pays out quickly with few questions.  Both my cats are through them.  We have 3 dogs with Kennel Club and 1 with Agria (they underwrite KC insurance) all have been good when we’ve had need to call upon them.  there are many others to choose from too.  My suggestion would be to pick a lifetime policy - one that covers a condition from day one and every year after.  Annual policies are cheaper but will exclude a condition the following year, possibly always.

If the breeder sends your girl home with 4 weeks insurance - register her immediately.  Then line your insurance of choice up, two weeks before the free insurance is due to expire, unless you are continuing with the same provider.  This means your girl will be covered from the day she comes home.  Most companies won’t allow a claim in the first two weeks of insurance.  We have a friend who chose not to insure from day one until the first vet check and now finds his pup has a condition that is treatable but very expensive and no insurance company will cover it as it’s an exclusion! 

Does your girl have a name yet?

Jayne

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 07:29:08 AM »
Hi and welcome, glad you found us! ! Yep, advice on here is good and plentiful but it does of course come at a price, nothing in life is free, so we need pictures of puppies to drool over, to keep the ideas coming.   ... :luv:
We‘ve all got some little tip up our sleeve which  helped us get through phase one, I was quite strict about visitors for the first couple of days so that Humphrey had chance to settle in and adjust to us and his new surroundings before the onslaught of billing and cooing began and I could very selfishly have him all to myself!  ;)
Enjoy every second, they grow up SO fast!
Looking forward to hearing more....
 :D

Offline EmmaJ

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Thank you for all the lovely & helpful responses. :D
We are going to call her Tilly but I’ve no pictures as yet.
Our vets recommended Agria pet insurance so I’ve taken out a life time policy with them.
Just need to stock up on food for her, the breeder has been feeding the puppies ‘Wagg’ puppy biscuits which from what I’ve read is a complete food & seems to have some good reviews.
Just need to get the wine & chocolate & do the sock count now! :005:

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Sock count!   :005: Harry the pup still won’t let me wear socks or slippers for some obscure reason  >:D, he carefully removes them for me and then Missi the old girl runs off with them to hide them in her bed  :005: I’ve taken to wearing ugg boots in the kitchen! You’re going to have so much fun with Tilly but there will be times when she will  test your patience so I agree the chocolate and wine are a must!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of spaniels. Just reconcile yourself to going out in odd socks, finding your underwear buried in the garden and trying to walk around with a furry lump sat on your shoe unfastening the laces.

Your little dog will drive you mad and then do something so wonderful you are still laughing a week later!

We have always taken new pups out in the car, in bags or just carried them so that they get used to all these things as soon as possible with you there to show them that it is safe.

You will see lots on here about food. There does not seem to be one right answer. Most of us have found by trial and error what does best for our particular pooch. Avoid grain though. The basic rule seems to be that you either spend the money each week on good quality food or spend more later at the vets

Most of all, enjoy your dog and learn from them

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
Lots of fun awaits you  :D. Good,advice above, though with Dylan it is tea towels, not socks. Re insurance, we are with the Kennel club, underwritten by Agria, and on the two occasions we used them, excellent. Also have a useful helpline to call before you call your vet, if you are worried, or away from home. We have a useful ebook, will look it up and post a link, gr3at for a new puppy owner.

Look forward to pics

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
The Happy Puppy Handbook by Pippa Mattinson

A very sensible useful book, you can get it on Amazon, hard copy or Kindle.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline totpotpink

• Hello from Mabel
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
What an exciting time for you and I hope Tilly will bring you many years of joy. We collected our 12 week old puppy a month ago and immediately took her around town in an old fashioned wicker basket with the lead tied firmly around the handle so that she and we felt more secure. She got used to traffic and other noises very very quickly and doesn’t react at all when a lorry thunders past or a motorbike revs up.