Author Topic: Cockers in literature through the ages  (Read 863 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Cockers in literature through the ages
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:36:17 AM »
I’m currently reading Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. There is a cocker spaniel called Jasper in it and all I can say is that Ms DuMaurier MUST have owned cockers. When the narrator first meets Jasper, he immediately adopts her in true cocker fashion, butt a-wiggle, tail a-thumping, thrusting his muzzle into her hand, settling with his nose on her knee fora thorough ear stroking.

Later in the book, they are walking on a beach and the dog gets ‘lost’ - they can hear him barking from another cove and they go to rescue him. They find Jasper barking at a poor unsuspecting man for NO REASON. When they try to get Jasper back he plays the ‘keep away’ game and the narrator bemoans the dog being ‘infuriating’.

Sounds exactly like a cocker to me!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Cockers in literature through the ages
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
 :lol2: :lol2: oh yes, infuriating but comical. We‘ve had a giggle this morning while out with Humph‘. I‘d been training stop and lie down, with the whistle, at distance. He was clearly annoyed with me for reprimanding him and not letting him have his ball for a very imperfect first go, so the second time he stopped, looked at me with disdane and sat down with his back to me as if to say „******you“!!  I do find it hard to be strict sometimes!!  :luv: :lol2: