Author Topic: Scared in the car  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Mina

Scared in the car
« on: May 21, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am having problems with Mina travelling in the car. From when she came to us at 8 weeks (she is almost 2 years now) she has been travelling in the car with us almost daily – short and long trips – and she was always fine with it until one day about 4 months ago when hubby overtook in a place where there were these ribbed white line markings that make a terrible noise. Mina was relaxing on the back seat at that moment and got a terrible scare from the noise and the vibration and jumped up in a panic. Since then she has been terrified of the car, not getting in it but once we start driving, and it gets worse the higher the speed. On the freeway she shakes badly and usually either hangs her head low or puts it up against the back of the seat with her neck slightly bent backwards (looks very uncomfortable!). In that state she does not listen to us, will not hold eye contact (she turns her head away quickly if we see her looking at us) and does not want to be touched until we stop the car and open the door for her. She also does not accept treats, even the things she usually would do anything for. We have tried different things, and actually in our other car she is a bit better and does not get as panicky, although she still cannot relax. I have tried sitting with her at the back too and even if she does not want the attention or cuddles, she seems slightly less trembly when she is not alone at the back. I have also tried to bring her bed in the car but she refuses to sit on it. It has now been 4 months and there is no improvement. I thought that maybe time would fix this but she is the same. She is still riding in the car almost every day as she goes to day care a few times a week and on the weekends we do longer trips. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas of what else we can try to make it better for her? It is such a shame as before this incident she was always so happy to travel with us.

Many thanks for any tips!

Offline Digger

Re: Scared in the car
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
Hi there. Oh your poor doggie!
  In your case, it sounds as though it was that specific incident that scared your little pooch and not a general fear of cars, but I thought I would suggest something as it still might work..
  I temporarily looked after a rescue dog a year or so ago (lots of fear issues) and if it went in a vehicle, even for a short time it would drool out of fear, being completely soaked even after a short journey.  I went to the vets and bought an 'Adaptil' collar. It looks a bit like a flea collar and is impregnated with something that gives off the same calming pheromones that the mother dog gives out to calm the puppies ( apparently).
I put it on her and the very first journey was completely bone dry. I took that to be quite a  measurable result!
 It wasn't cheap (£29 I think) but  I would take it off and wrap it tightly in cling film in between which I assumed would prolong its shelf life.
 Might be worth a try if you've tried everything else.
  Be interesting to hear any results if you do give it a try.  Best of luck!

Offline Mina

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »
Thank you so much for the tip, Digger. I looked up Adaptil, and found that they even have a special product for dogs that find travelling in the car scary. It's a spray that you apply to the seat before the trip. I will try it and let you know how we get on!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
Thank you so much for the tip, Digger. I looked up Adaptil, and found that they even have a special product for dogs that find travelling in the car scary. It's a spray that you apply to the seat before the trip. I will try it and let you know how we get on!

I used to spray Humphrey‘s car crate with it about 15 minutes before we took him out, it definately helped calm him, although he was only very young then. He still isn‘t over keen on car journeys but he doesn‘t get into the state that he used to. (Another thing I did was put an old quilt under the crate as I suspected that he didn‘t like the noise or vibration in the boot, although that orobably doesn‘t apply in your case. ) I can only suggest you keep on the way you have been by trying to make each journey as positive an experience as possible , - maybe a couple of short journeys with a BIG  reward activity at the end, ball game, swim, visit to play with another favourite friend, whatever,  and hope that she‘ll learn to forget the negative associations. I can really understand your frustration, its such a shame when such silly (to us) little things result in real problems. I do hope you can sort it, best of luck!

Offline Mina

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
Thank you Bizzylizzy! Sounds encouraging!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:19:17 AM »
I have to cover the crate,  he goes bonkers at trees whizzing past and attacks the mat in frustration at not being able to jump through the window, which he assumes is open.,not glass.   Also he hates the indicators and the beeping it makes when parking ad reversing.  My other dog just loves the car!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Mina

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
I have to cover the crate,  he goes bonkers at trees whizzing past and attacks the mat in frustration at not being able to jump through the window, which he assumes is open.,not glass.   Also he hates the indicators and the beeping it makes when parking ad reversing.

Poor baby, he sounds he has it even worse than my girl  :-\

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
Covered up ,he's fine apart from car bleeps. On long journeys he gives up after half an hour, but stays covered. Then sleeps.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 12:42:03 AM »
If you find Adaptil isn't working, you could try this one, I use the spray when we are going on a long journey - spray a little in crate about half-hour before leaving, and also take it with me for when we arrive at hotel/caravan, just in case they are wound up.

https://petremedy.co.uk/

If you need it in a hurry some vets sell it - but it may be dearer.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mina

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
If you find Adaptil isn't working, you could try this one, I use the spray when we are going on a long journey - spray a little in crate about half-hour before leaving, and also take it with me for when we arrive at hotel/caravan, just in case they are wound up.

https://petremedy.co.uk/

Thank you for the information! I had no idea there were such products on the market, this is really helpful.