Author Topic: When guests arrive, all hell breaks loose!  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

When guests arrive, all hell breaks loose!
« on: June 01, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
Awww, our cute lovely peaceful sleeping blue roan show cocker spaniel. That is, until the front door bell rings.

His greetings are always hilarious to us, he edges towards us with his ‘wiggly butt’ and gives us the best welcome which instantly makes your day that little bit better! He is very barky when the doorbell goes which isn’t such a bad thing I guess. However, with some guests (mainly those who are not dog owners), he tends to get beside himself with excitement and just does not settle. He will jump up and down at guests and kind of obsess over them! We’ve had to resort to putting him on the stairs which is obviously a shame.

Can anybody provide me with any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rich

Offline bmthmark

Re: When guests arrive, all hell breaks loose!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
You have described exactly what my boy does. He cannot contain his excitement when the door bell goes  :lol2:
We have taught him to stay in his bed (we have one near the front door) and he should sit there until we say so. However what normally happens is he runs to his bed with his bum wagging away, he sits down and when we open the door he jumps up in full excitement and runs at the person. If I know the person I spend a little longer getting him to stay, but the excitement of it all is too much for him. He loves to greet people and will also take them a present.

He means no harm and is only saying hello, but I understand some people don't like this. If I don't know the person I do put my boy behind a stair gate, but he just howls as he thinks he is missing out.

I don't really have any advice as I clearly need help as well, but at least you are not alone  :lol:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
Only invite people the dog likes!  :005:  ;)

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
He loves everyone ! :luv:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
Was literally just about to write a post looking for sympathy after we had a party this weekend and our dog leo really struggled with overexcitement.. reverting back to behaviours we had managed for a long time now! Glad to see mine isnt the only one... leo sounds like he is dying when someone comes to the door. He cries and barks and cries and barks. Luckily he calms down quickly after. The issue we have is dog friendly guests who just wind him up!!! I had to be the strict one this weekend telling humans to leave a dog alone and stop trying to play with him because i knew he was overstimulated. And then they wonder why he nips them when they dont take my advice  :-\
Not much advice for you however when leo used to get excited with guests i asked guests to completley ignore him, turning away every time he jumped up. When he was visibly calmer and sitting i would tell the guests to show him affection (or if they were not dog people chuck him a treat)
Worked for us and we dont have to use a gate now

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »
Was literally just about to write a post looking for sympathy after we had a party this weekend and our dog leo really struggled with overexcitement.. reverting back to behaviours we had managed for a long time now! Glad to see mine isnt the only one... leo sounds like he is dying when someone comes to the door. He cries and barks and cries and barks. Luckily he calms down quickly after. The issue we have is dog friendly guests who just wind him up!!! I had to be the strict one this weekend telling humans to leave a dog alone and stop trying to play with him because i knew he was overstimulated. And then they wonder why he nips them when they dont take my advice  :-\
Not much advice for you however when leo used to get excited with guests i asked guests to completley ignore him, turning away every time he jumped up. When he was visibly calmer and sitting i would tell the guests to show him affection (or if they were not dog people chuck him a treat)

Training the dogs is one thing, - training the humans is a battle!!!  :lol2:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
My Ollie was just the same, we were advised to keep a slap lead near the door, put it on him prior to opening the door, let him greet people whilst on a short lead which you keep hold of through out. It works.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »

Training the dogs is one thing, - training the humans is a battle!!!  :lol2:

Very true! I feel the bad person who wont let humans play with the cute puppy haha