Author Topic: Walk your dog with love harness  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Digger

Walk your dog with love harness
« on: June 28, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Hi all.
 Anyone got one of these harnesses and do they work?
They're a bit too expensive to just give it a try!

Thankyou

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Walk your dog with love harness
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
Hi! There have been quite a few threads regarding the WYDWL harnesses. I used to use one and was, at first, very enthusiastic, it was relatively easy to put on, compared to the halti for example and, for a while, it did help. However in my experience, it isn‘t a solution long term as it doesn‘t teach the dog anything, and after a while my dog was pulling the same as before but at an unnatural angel and I‘m not sure if this might cause harm eventually.
Humphrey spends most of his time off lead, so I don‘t tend to use a harness very much now. I‘ve spent no end of hours training him to walk on a lose lead with just a collar and for everyday situations he‘s not too bad but  if he‘s in the town or a busy place he still pulls, so then I use a normal harness, just to take the strain off his neck really. The WYDWL does have benefits and I must say their customer service etc is excellent but its not an alternative to consistant training, - in my opinion!

Offline Digger

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »
Thanks for that bizzielizzie. And I totally agree. I just find after 9 months of consistent training were not getting that far haha! She knows the 'close' command and gets into position, then shoots straight off again. Like you, my dog is always off lead so the few minutes she spends on it to get to being off, on a daily basis is probably not enough.
I am just considering one of these really because we are going on holiday soon and will suddenly need to do a lot more on lead stuff around various places and when walking between beaches along the cliff tops! Just looking for a quick temporary improver really so she is not yanking herself around for a fortnight!
(Much as I could throttle her sometimes :005:), I do worry about her little neck!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:59 AM »
Thanks for that bizzielizzie. And I totally agree. I just find after 9 months of consistent training were not getting that far haha! She knows the 'close' command and gets into position, then shoots straight off again. Like you, my dog is always off lead so the few minutes she spends on it to get to being off, on a daily basis is probably not enough.
I am just considering one of these really because we are going on holiday soon and will suddenly need to do a lot more on lead stuff around various places and when walking between beaches along the cliff tops! Just looking for a quick temporary improver really so she is not yanking herself around for a fortnight!
(Much as I could throttle her sometimes :005:), I do worry about her little neck!

Absolutely with you there, - we train constantly (and are even going in for the German obedience certificate in a couple of weeks ( :lol2: ) ) but he‘s now 3 and to be honest I don‘t think he‘ll ever walk without pulling when we‘re out and about and I‘ve resigned myself to it, he is a cocker after all! For what you need it for, I think the harness would be really useful, - it doesn‘t stop the pulling altogether but it certainly reduces their ability to strain hard making it easier on your arms. Only disadvantage I found was that the hair under the front legs tended to matt where the straps are, but I get that problem with the Ruffwear harness aswell.  Enjoy your holiday!

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
I have one for both of mine, and they do work to a certain extent. Agree that’s it’s no replacement for training, but if training isn’t working then it’s a good substitute. Have had excellent service from them, we had our 2nd one half price when then 1st one was outgrown and they will replace if gets chewed by puppy! Good luck x
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Digger

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
Ah that's good to know - thanks Wendall!

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »
I use a 6ft leather lead. I keep the lead short with my left arm pointing straight down at my side and have him by my left hand side at all times. If he pulls out in front I just stop walking and give a little tug on the lead and he steps back into position. You need to do this everyday. Take him for more on lead walks. Walk in inside and outside circles. Practice in an enclosed space as well like a garden if you have one. I don't think a harness is needed. He wont learn if you always have him on lead. It took a good few months to get it right he's still not perfect but it's good enough for me.

Offline Digger

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Thanks gazrob. Will do that and agree I probably need to walk her on lead more for practice. I do do what you said and she does understand close but she pulls so hard I can't keep her at my side without her choking and me hurting my back and shoulder. Honestly, she is a train. If you couldn't see what was on the end of the lead you would think it was a huge dog! The harness idea is just for a quick fix for holiday as she will have to be on lead for stretches of coast path. She's a bird shadow chaser so not safe for her to be off and I don't really fancy being pulled over the edge myself!
I'm currently experimenting with additions to her existing harness to see if the connection points make any difference...

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
What kind of dog do you have digger? I have a working cocker he's strong and did pull me a lot to start with but I think he eventually got sick of me stopping saying heel and pulling him back. Have your dog on a lead as much as you can just to train your dog to heel. practice everytime you go for a walk and even in your garden. I can walk my dog at heel on and off lead now but I keep him on when walking in the neighbourhood and only let him off when in a safe area.

Offline Digger

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:02:36 PM »
Hi again gazrob
Yeah, she's a solid black 11 month old working cocker called Inca. Lovely friendly dog with everyone and all dogs but a bit cocky with me! Still trying to make her understand that arguing with me with her teeth is not on !!!  I had a Springer from working stock for 15 years. He was a doddle in comparison. Much easier to train and soft as anything He also pulled but at least in a straight line!
I do need to spend more time with her on lead.
Amongst other things... She's still young. I have been reliably informed that this breed are puppies until they're two!?!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
Three... !  :shades: (at least!  :005:)

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
My dog is two and a half and he's still the same. A maniac. I had him heeling by the time he was around a year old. It will take time and hard work it won't just happen. If you stick with it you will succeed don't give up that's all I can say. Good luck.

Offline Digger

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
Thankyou ;)
...onwards....!

Offline ips

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
Agree with much of the above. I tried one and early on it seemed to improve things but she soon slipped back into her usual self. She is very rarely on a lead and never wears a collar so i blame myself really. After a lot of work she is now quite good on any type of lead but if on an extended walk or around town i use a fairly basic harness . I dont expect she will ever be 100% good on a lead but i have accepted it now.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Digger

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
Ah yes ips. That is the conundrum really. I, like you don't have my dog on a lead unless I absolutely have to (which isn't very much as we live right in the middle of dog heaven!)There is nothing more lovely to see in my opinion than a happy spaniel and friends romping free. ...and therein lies the lead problem!
I just want to minimise the pulling for when she does have to be on-I don't expect much more!