Author Topic: Barf  (Read 16844 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Barf
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »
Colin, Arden grange has a protein content of around 25% compared to JWB of 21% but then you have to compare that to how much they get fed - its smaller portions of the Arden grange. I changed Alfie over to it about August time and theres been a marked improvement on his coat (he was on Burns previously) and he actually eats it. I did have him on JWB before Burns and his out put was dreadful, often runny and lots of it. Whilst he still goes more often then he did on Burns, its always firm

[snapback]155608[/snapback]

Thanks for explaining that Caroline. Arden Grange does seem to come highly recommended by everyone, so hopefully it will turn out to be suitable for both Jimmy and Misty ; it's been ridiculous the amount of chopping and changing I've had to do recently. <_<

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
I wouldn't consider Barf either i'm afraid, I won't even give Indie raw chicken wings :D    

Colin, the Arden Grange has been fantastic for Indie, she now eats all her dinner, is looking healthy, shiney coat etc :D   I haven't noticed an adverse effect of the protein amount, but then she was swapped from Bakers, so I guess I wouldn't notice anyway :rolleyes:  

Just a thought, has there ever been any reports done into dogs on barf and dogs on kibble, i.e. are there any statistics to back up the suggestion that raw feeding has health benefits over kibble?  :)

Penel

Barf
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2005, 05:06:35 PM »
The short answer is no.
I don't need studies to show me how much better a raw natural diet is, I can see the difference in my dogs - and other dogs that are raw fed.  In fact I could probably spot the difference in a line up of 10 dogs which ones were raw fed.

Food studies are done by multi million pound companies who make kibble - suppliers of raw meat cannot compete with that sort of thing.  What is there to prove anyway - raw meat doesn't have any additives - its that simple.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
Actually, meat produced these days has a lot more fat than it used to, sometimes as much as 70% from what I've read. Also, many dogs have dietary and or health issues which preclude this BARF, like Hamish for instance.

I don't get that part of the BARF philosophy to be honest - the only chicken wings round here are Tesco value range, probably pumped full of antibiotics and hormones anyway, certainly choosing to feed kibble isn't because of multi million pound companies research - very few people who do feed kibble here feed the ones full of additives!

I think that's what pisses me off about the whole BARF thing, there's a real smug thing about it, and it doesn't help. It's really counterproductive to say to people that they are doing the wrong thing for their pet, especially when they have put as much thought in it as most have, but it's assumed they haven't. It is possible to just diasgree with the method, after having looked at it.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2005, 05:34:20 PM »
Actually, meat produced these days has a lot more fat than it used to, sometimes as much as 70% from what I've read. Also, many dogs have dietary issues which preclude this BARF, like Hamish for instance.

I don't get that part of the BARF philosophy to be honest - the onlt chicken wings round here are Tesco value range, probably pumped full of antibiotics and hormones anyway, certainly choosing to feed kibble isn't because of multi million pound companies research - very few people who do feed kibble here feed the ones full of additives!

I think that's what pisses me off about the whole BARF thing, there's a real smug thing about it, and it doens't help. It's really counterproductive to say to people that they are doing the wrong thing for their pet, especially when they have put as much thought in it as most have, but it's assumed they haven't.
[snapback]156096[/snapback]

Shona! I wasn't trying to be smug about the BARF thing by starting the topic I was just interested to know how many people out there did it....in my past posts I have also said that we all do what is best for our dogs.......I wish I hadn't started it if its going to upset people....sorry! :)

Offline Emma&Harry

• Site Member
  • Avatar disabled by Pammy until it is resized ;)
Barf
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 05:54:02 PM »
harry has a BARF diet - my mum buys in bulk so i get it cheaper, including chicken wings and a variety of beef, tripe, chicken, and lamb mince. the last time i totted it up Harry's food cost me roughly £20 for 6 weeks (50p per day), including biscuit and veg etc. we tried him on a complete food when we got him and he gave up pretty quickly, so i tried him on raw and have never gone back.

this is the yummiest (as far as harry is concerned) easiest and cheapest way to feed our pet.  

i attribute he very well conditoned coat (when asked) to his diet but to be fair he could have that condition coat being fed on a well balanced dried food -  I have just never tried :)

but raw tripe really isnt the most appealing thing in the mornings!!  :ph34r:
xx my working cocker works very hard at being a lap dog xx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 05:58:35 PM »

but raw tripe really isnt the most appealing thing in the mornings!!  :ph34r:
[snapback]156103[/snapback]
[/quote]

....very true!!!!! and Im a veggy so that makes it doubley hard!!    :( yuck!!!!

Still my dogs luuuuurrrrve it!! and they also like to lick my face after they've eaten it NICE!!!!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 06:25:25 PM »
Nell is fed on Burns and nature Diet, she also has pilchards  sardines and  tripe.
Her coat is glossy, her eyes are sparkling, and  is also very trim for a five year old Lab, our vet was very impressed with her, and passed comment on how healthy she looked :D        I think it's all down to individual choice, what suits one dog will not always suit another   ;)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 06:48:10 PM »
Shona! I wasn't trying to be smug about the BARF thing by starting the topic I was just interested to know how many people out there did it....in my past posts I have also said that we all do what is best for our dogs.......I wish I hadn't started it if its going to upset people....sorry! :)

Not at all, I know, it's more the *I could pick out of a line up of ten dogs* comments, and the inference therefore it's superior. That wasn't directed at you personally, sorry.

I absolutely agree everyone has different opinions, I just don't like the debating method of putting down someon else's choices - I have my own very strong reasons why I wouldn't consider it, but wouldn't really share them in any great detail as it would p people off, and be seen as scare tactics.

My dogs are both thriving, glossy coats, full of energy too :)

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Barf
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 07:00:51 PM »
Actually, meat produced these days has a lot more fat than it used to, sometimes as much as 70% from what I've read........- the only chicken wings round here are Tesco value range, probably pumped full of antibiotics and hormones anyway.......

I agree with this Shona - if I were to feed raw meat to Molo (or any dog) as his main diet then I would only feed organic meat - the levels of hormones and antibiotics that are in supermarket/butchers meat would concentrate and build up in his body - not all of them are processed and excreted; some build up a toxins  <_< .  I don't see the point in feeding cheap-cuts of meat and budget brands when the quality of product in his kibble is better  ;)

I am unable to source these products as conveniently (ie not a ferry ride away) and cost effectively as the same quality products in a complete kibble - and even THAT isn't delivered to my home, and there are limited suppliers  :rolleyes:  As far as I am concerned; BARF or RAW would not be better for Molo than his current diet UNLESS I could source all the organic ingredients he gets at the moment  :)  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2005, 07:08:47 PM »
The short answer is no.
I don't need studies to show me how much better a raw natural diet is, I can see the difference in my dogs - and other dogs that are raw fed.  In fact I could probably spot the difference in a line up of 10 dogs which ones were raw fed.

Food studies are done by multi million pound companies who make kibble - suppliers of raw meat cannot compete with that sort of thing.  What is there to prove anyway - raw meat doesn't have any additives - its that simple.
[snapback]156089[/snapback]

I only asked out of interest Penel I  wasn't trying to be funny :(  I was interested thats all :rolleyes:   Like i'm sure others may have been :)   Gawd whats wrong with people on here lately :rolleyes:  I'm going back to my couldron, where its safe :P

You may well not need studies as your mind is made up, but other people browsing this forum do not know all the ins and outs like me, which is why I asked :blink:

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 07:32:44 PM »
Just changing the subject slightley.  What brands of mixer biscuit do you use?  I am not to happy with the current brand I am using I have noticed that my dogs teeth become dirty very quickly. Which before I used a mixer didn't happen?

I did try the barf diet and have done a lot of research into it and have come to the conclusion that it does make sense but just couldn't handle the bone thing.  I used to give them chicken wings but daren't let go of it in case they bolted it and it got stuck!!!

However I do use Nature diet, raw tripe, lamb, natures menu  etc which I feel is the closest I will get to BARF for the time being.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »
You may well not need studies as your mind is made up, but other people browsing this forum do not know all the ins and outs like me, which is why I asked :blink:
[snapback]156122[/snapback]

That's kind of why I started they topic, because 1 I wanted to see who else fed BARF and 2 I thought it'd be useful to people who wanted info.........aaarrrrrghgh.........next time i'll choose a less political topic.......can't stand the guilt!!........xx  :)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2005, 07:38:34 PM »
Not at all, I know, it's more the *I could pick out of a line up of ten dogs* comments, and the inference therefore it's superior. That wasn't directed at you personally, sorry.

Phew!!! I've only been using the forum for a few days I didn't want to have started WW3!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D Didn't want you all talking behind my back saying who let that bloody silkstocking on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like it here didn't want to have to leave so soon! Now I feel better! Thanks!! :D Lisa and my muttleys!!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2005, 07:41:41 PM »
:D Aww Silk (sorry can't remember your real name :ph34r: ) don't worry atall, you started a really interesting topic, we all have our own views and have made our decisions on what we think and what is best for our situations and pet!  Theres no right or wrong way and I can't understand why this thread has got like this :(  

I would be really interested to hear about case studies as that would help me and others make informed decisions where there is "hard evidence" to support a particular method and not make a decsion based on someone elses choice :D

Don't feel bad :) x