Author Topic: Thoughts On Jan Fennell  (Read 2944 times)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02:09 PM »
I have read her books, but I'm not that impressed either to be honest. Some bits were interesting :)

I'm afraid I'm not one for ignoring my mad cockers when I get in the house. Someone told me to do it once.....a work collegue of my other halfs....I don't like being told what to do!!! :lol:  To be honest when I come in I'm as happy to see them ans they are to see me, so I don't find it nessasary to ignore them. They calm down within seconds once we've had a stroke and a chat :D . If they are going mental, if we've been out longer than usual, I walk into thier room open the back door and let them out to run the exess energy off, but to be honest I couldn't ignore them, but thats just me and different things work for different people don't they.

Offline PennyB

Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »
(Whispers) Whats NILIF???
[snapback]171719[/snapback]

Nothing In Life Is Free!

NILIF linky thing

NILIF: Changing the pet-owner relationship
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 11:20:31 PM »
I have read her books, but I'm not that impressed either to be honest. Some bits were interesting :)

I'm afraid I'm not one for ignoring my mad cockers when I get in the house. Someone told me to do it once.....a work collegue of my other halfs....I don't like being told what to do!!! :lol:  To be honest when I come in I'm as happy to see them ans they are to see me, so I don't find it nessasary to ignore them. They calm down within seconds once we've had a stroke and a chat :D . If they are going mental, if we've been out longer than usual, I walk into thier room open the back door and let them out to run the exess energy off, but to be honest I couldn't ignore them, but thats just me and different things work for different people don't they.

You'll probably think I'm barking, but I treat my dogs in a very samiliar way to I treat the kids I teach. Set boundries. And "consequences" (time out that sort of thing) if these boudries are not "adhered" to. That sounds much harsher than it is. And to be honest I was only commenting to my OH today how there don't seem to be the need for "consequences" any more because they are well aware of the boundries. Its important with a class full of kids to be consistant and fair and I believe the same is true when training my dogs about acceptable behaviour.

They don't grab treats out of my hands because they aren't allowed ( if they tried they wouldn't get one!! boundries!!) They don't take the dinner until I say they can etc etc silly things but they work for me!!!

[snapback]171723[/snapback]

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 11:27:24 PM »
Thanks Penny  :D   Just had time for a quick read though but it makes sense to me.  I'll have more time tomorrow to read it properly.

Silkstocking I know what you mean with children and boundaries although I use them on my own 3 and not a whole class-full (how do you do it?)

Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 12:12:37 AM »
Silkstocking I know what you mean with children and boundaries although I use them on my own 3 and not a whole class-full (how do you do it?)
[snapback]171729[/snapback]

Practise!!!!!! :lol:  :lol: Its easy enough, to set boundries to a whole class, and then if someone steps out of line or over the boundries they have to adhere to the consequences......the other kids see the consequences and don't like them so they tend to adhere to the boundries!! Well thats my theory anuway and 9 times out of ten it works, but there is always that one child who doesn't care about the consequences, so you have to find something they do care about! Same with an unruly dog I guess!!

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 12:28:49 AM »
Yup!!  i can second that!!  In a classroom it is all about respect!!  Setting boundaries and sticking to them rigidly, and following through your discipline!!

I too have read Jan Fennells books and although I found them interesting lots of her ideas do not sit well with me.  There is no way I could ignore Bailey when I came home!!!   That moment is always a highlight of my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope that doesn't make me to sad!! :ph34r:

I have followed NILIF very sucessfully with Bailey.
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline PennyB

Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 12:53:39 AM »
I'm afraid I'm not one for ignoring my mad cockers when I get in the house. Someone told me to do it once.....a work collegue of my other halfs....I don't like being told what to do!!! :lol:  To be honest when I come in I'm as happy to see them ans they are to see me, so I don't find it nessasary to ignore them. They calm down within seconds once we've had a stroke and a chat :D . If they are going mental, if we've been out longer than usual, I walk into thier room open the back door and let them out to run the exess energy off, but to be honest I couldn't ignore them, but thats just me and different things work for different people don't they.

You'll probably think I'm barking, but I treat my dogs in a very samiliar way to I treat the kids I teach. Set boundries. And "consequences" (time out that sort of thing) if these boudries are not "adhered" to. That sounds much harsher than it is. And to be honest I was only commenting to my OH today how there don't seem to be the need for "consequences" any more because they are well aware of the boundries. Its important with a class full of kids to be consistant and fair and I believe the same is true when training my dogs about acceptable behaviour.

They don't grab treats out of my hands because they aren't allowed ( if they tried they wouldn't get one!! boundries!!) They don't take the dinner until I say they can etc etc silly things but they work for me!!!

[snapback]171723[/snapback]
If you ever watch House of tiny tearaways there's a lot of dog training tips there as well, LOL.

Must admit while often when I come home I just walk straight for the kitchen tripping over dogs but not really acknowledging them and wait for them to settle down (same as I do when I come downstairs 1st thing in the morning, but thats usually because I can't really open my eyes and I'm desparate for the loo which is downstairs), if I've been out and had a crap day their greeting me is the best thing on the planet and I let them know it! I do make them sit/down for everything else though
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »
Anyone who suggests you come into the house and ignore your dog needs a good kick up the ar*e IMO  :angry:
[snapback]171607[/snapback]

I'm sorry Jools but you are wrong. If your dog is over-exuberant then ignoring them for just a couple of minutes can make the world of difference and helps to keep them calmer. It's only for a couple of minutes until they've stopped bouncing off the walls. It helps stop them jumping up at you and others. It's along the NILIF line - be calm and controlled and you get a fuss. Be too giddy and you won't. It's that simple.

If you're lucky enough to have a dog that doesn't go ape when you walk in then fine you don't even have to think about it - but please don't assume that this technique deserves the kind of response you have given. Don't forget, managing a dog the size of a cocker is easier than fending off something much bigger too. :o
[snapback]171610[/snapback]

I agree with Pammy,  We did this with Nell, she realy did used to bounce off the walls literally (sp) Being a Lab she was very strong and could actualy knock us off our feet :blink:   weve never had such a hyperactive dog!!   :rolleyes:  We took advice from a behavourist and a dog trainer, and both of them suggested we do this.  It works for us  ;)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
Dogs repeat behaviour that they find rewarding and if you pay attention to a dog that is bouncing off the walls then you are making a rod for your own back.
If such a behaviour is not rewarded with your attention then there is every chance the behaviour will become extinct.
It will probably get worse before it gets better, you just have to have the resolve to see it through.
However I see nothing wrong with your dogs greeting you in a friendly manner as long as you find it acceptable but everyone has different expectations of their dogs.
I use a sit command if my boys push it beyond my boundries andI always make sure that I am in control.
not dominating just leading and using tone of voice or a look only I usualy get what I want.
mark, Doug and Ollie :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 01:20:39 PM »
Dogs repeat behaviour that they find rewarding and if you pay attention to a dog that is bouncing off the walls then you are making a rod for your own back.
If such a behaviour is not rewarded with your attention then there is every chance the behaviour will become extinct.
It will probably get worse before it gets better, you just have to have the resolve to see it through.
However I see nothing wrong with your dogs greeting you in a friendly manner as long as you find it acceptable but everyone has different expectations of their dogs.
I use a sit command if my boys push it beyond my boundries andI always make sure that I am in control.
not dominating just leading and using tone of voice or a look only I usualy get what I want.
mark, Doug and Ollie :D
[snapback]171814[/snapback]

I always ask Bailey to sit before I greet him, (this is part of our efforts to stop him jumping up) but I still can't ignore him when I come home!!  :lol:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 01:29:28 PM »
I do that to :)

Isn't it common sense though to do that???

I guess it depends on your boudries! :D

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »
I do that to :)

Isn't it common sense though to do that???

I guess it depends on your boudries! :D
[snapback]171826[/snapback]

Yeah I guess it is hun!!!  Bailey is really good at sitting when he should, however he is not so good at not jumping up when he shouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 07:38:17 PM »
I'm really sorry but I can't stand Jan Fennell <_<  someone told me she was brilliant so I went to one of her talks when she had a new book out and Ben was about 14 weeks old and being a right pain, very agressive and real biting (not just puppy play biting)
I asked her how to overcome this and she told me to grab him firmly by the scruff of the neck where he couldn't reach and 'hold' him firmly just off the floor until he submitted and gave in to my authority. Being new to puppies and cockers I tried this and Ben went ballistic, and became even more agressive within a few days - I think it terrified him poor pup and he would snarl whenever I went near him - to be fair looking back I don't blame him!

We got a good behaviourist who taught constructive ways of managing Ben (NILIF) that worked.

sorry but JF is a bad word in our house!

Ben's mum

Offline Morticia

• Site Member
    • http://cheekycockerspanielbubbles.piczo.com
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 08:18:31 PM »
Oh my god!  I could never do that, not surprised your feelings run high there.
 :angry:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Thoughts On Jan Fennell
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 08:21:19 PM »

[/quote]
I always ask Bailey to sit before I greet him, (this is part of our efforts to stop him jumping up) but I still can't ignore him when I come home!!  :lol:
[snapback]171824[/snapback]
[/quote]
I know what you mean :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk