Author Topic: A Big Moan!  (Read 3364 times)

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
Re: A Big Moan!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 04:30:26 AM »
PS. Ignore the other dog too for barking along.  :shades:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 08:10:17 AM »
Hi Toni

Have you considered him in a crate?  Indie loves hers, she has it all cosy and you can always put a baby blanket over the top (the type with the holes in, they are very breathable) He may feel nice and secure in there and be happier sleeping a bit longer.  Luckily I have never had this problem with Indie, but, I can understand it must do your head in, but just look at that little face :luv: :luv:

Oh, poor you - I am useless without my sleep and though I never get a lie in nowadays, I do nearly always get an undisturbed night  :D.  Yes, I would try a crate too.  If he needs a wee or whatever at 5, you can just take him out for that - no interaction at all - then back in the crate.  May take a little while to get him used to it if he has not been in one before.  Obviously a sound proof one would be the best solution of all!   :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 08:12:32 AM »
I say try a crate as well.

Jazz is a nightmare when shes allowed to sleep out of the kitchen. which isn't often. But when shes in her crte she very quiet and sleeps in quite late.
 Otherwise shes up asking to go out about 5am.

Good Luck.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 08:31:57 AM »
 :luv:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Marian

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 09:04:28 AM »
I was thinking about this problem of pooches getting up at the crack of dawn last night - then I remembered an article about this in "Your Dog".

"The dog(s) know that when they bark you appear, feed them, let them out etc.

What you need to do is get them out of the habit. When they start barking get up, ignore them, make a cup of tea and go back to bed.

Come back 5 minutes later and give them their breakfast etc., then on the next morning come back 10 minutes later and so on. This way they won't associate their barking with you getting up and feeding them. You getting up and making a cup of tea and ignoring them will be a bit of an anti-climax for them. Barking no longer works and you've got the dogs beat!!"

This all sounds like a pretty good suggestion to me and has to be worth a go (and you get a well deserved cup of tea out of it).

I really hope this helps.

Marian (& Harv)
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Penel

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »
I sympathise - have 5 dogs - all of whom sleep in the bedroom and at least one of them always wakes up at 6am - summer or winter makes no difference..... I have tried ignoring them I really really have and I just lie there listening to them pootling around the bedroom, sticking noses in my face until I wake up  :lol:  something that IS supposed to work.... set an alarm clock, earlier than he would normally wake up.... make HIM wake up when it goes off.... take him out to the loo, feed him etc... the next day set it 10 mins later - do the same routine... keep setting it 10 mins later until he realises the alarm clock is the signal for him to go to the loo and be fed.... I havent tried this method cos I hate alarm clocks with a passion, but I am assured it works !

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »
 >:(I wish I had read this post before posting my own complaint about Barney. Although he is not a pup he has been much more demanding since he got a lot of attention when he was so ill a while back I think  this is just an extension of that. I'm going to try the get up and make a cup of tea trick. I'm an early riser anyway so i can cope with that- I just can't cope with him dictating to me. I have 2 dogs. Milly would happily lie until I get up but then she gets really excited so I think this would be good for her too.  ;). This site is wonderful!!! :D

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 03:38:26 PM »
Awww, thanks for listening guys!   :D

I have tried using a crate, he just won't use it. Woody is real company dog and hates being on his own so the crate is a total no no.

I know that ignoring would be my perfect option but unfortunately the neighbours wouldn't agree! I'm going to ask when they are on hols next and try and do it for a week - I'm sure it would work.

In the meantime I guess I will just have to keep usuing the matchsticks to keep my eyes open!
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 04:31:58 PM »
Yeah- I guess two dogs, Cockers, won't like to be seperated by a crate. Try alarm to condition him to wake up when you want to. Oh, I want a dog who would let me sleep 'till whenever... but so far, I used a crate and an alarm to make him wake up at 8.30 - weekdays AND weekends. He has no idea that i want to sleep in on sat.  >:D :D

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2006, 04:40:02 PM »
  :lol:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 06:14:23 PM »
Oh, I want a dog who would let me sleep 'till whenever... but so far, I used a crate and an alarm to make him wake up at 8.30 - weekdays AND weekends. He has no idea that i want to sleep in on sat.  >:D :D

Most of us would consider that a lie in any day of the week!  ;)
To begin with our dogs woke up around 6 a.m., but now they can last until 7.30.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2006, 06:53:32 PM »
Oh, I want a dog who would let me sleep 'till whenever... but so far, I used a crate and an alarm to make him wake up at 8.30 - weekdays AND weekends. He has no idea that i want to sleep in on sat.  >:D :D

Most of us would consider that a lie in any day of the week!  ;)
To begin with our dogs woke up around 6 a.m., but now they can last until 7.30.
Oh, yes, Coco is the same as Rhona's two which I can live with especially if she doesn't wake up during the night - she usually sleeps through though in the hot weather seemed to be more restless in the night.  8.30 would be a luxury though even just occasionally!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »
6am? WOW. 8.30- i do feel spoiled now  :lol:. There would be NO way, I mean NO way in the world anyone would wake me up at 6. I just won't get up. Don't care how loud he is barking. Me and my husb. like to sleep, I think we were more assertive - pastive assertive  :005: in teaching him that. Maybe that's why he is so full of beans when he gets up.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 07:30:30 PM »
6am? WOW. 8.30- i do feel spoiled now  :lol:. There would be NO way, I mean NO way in the world anyone would wake me up at 6. I just won't get up. Don't care how loud he is barking. Me and my husb. like to sleep, I think we were more assertive - pastive assertive  :005: in teaching him that. Maybe that's why he is so full of beans when he gets up.

I love to sleep too but there is no way Coco when she was a young puppy would last from 11pm until 8.30 without a toilet incident.  On the one occasion I did not get up early to let her out I came downstairs to a puppy explosion in her crate  >:(  After that I decided that I preferred getting up!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 05:00:56 AM »
Can't think of any advice, but reading this thread reminds me that cockers can be so different from each other as Bailey does let us lie in...in fact until noon last Saturday, we are a lazy mom and dad!  ph34r Don't get me wrong, Bailey is very very very far from perfect, the little  >:D, but he does have a bladder of steel.
Bailey and Mom