Author Topic: BARF sort of again  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: BARF sort of again
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 11:18:01 AM »
I guess I still do a vague version of them with Bella's chicken as I divide it into portions for the month and then whizz up some veg, a couple of eggs, garlic and fresh herbs and mix in some bran (for her anal glands) and add that to the chicken.
Does all this take you a lot of time Claire? And do you have to be really organized?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 11:20:59 AM »
I guess I still do a vague version of them with Bella's chicken as I divide it into portions for the month and then whizz up some veg, a couple of eggs, garlic and fresh herbs and mix in some bran (for her anal glands) and add that to the chicken.
Does all this take you a lot of time Claire? And do you have to be really organized?

I was just wondering the same thing as I'm really trying to get up the courage to move Alfie onto BARF but I'm just too scared to take that final plunge! Also cost may be a factor for me as he's a greedy wee sod and weighs over 15kg at 7 months so I'll probably be just as well to feed him a whole cow or something  :005: :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »
Also cost may be a factor for me as he's a greedy wee sod and weighs over 15kg at 7 months so I'll probably be just as well to feed him a whole cow or something  :005: :005:

:rofl1:  :rofl1:  :rofl1:  :rofl1:

At 5 1/2 months mine weigh 12 1/2 kg and 11 1/2 kg! Think they may be big boys too! Well one of them anyway.  ;)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »

I reckon it takes me about 2 hours a month. I tend to buy for the whole month but she's small (9.4kg) so I just have to deal with one large chicken, 2 lamb breasts and some mince. It's basically a case of skinning the chicken (the lamb is very fatty so she gets plenty from that), chopping it into roughly equal portions, pulping some veg/fruit/herbs/garlic, then I bag it all up, a portion of chicken, a dollop of pulped veg and a handful of bran, label it and stick it in the freezer. I skin and partially de-fat the lamb breasts, chop them into portions of about 3 ribs each and bag them up (no veg with them). I divide the mince into little portions and add some liver and kidney to some of them (no veg with these either but she sometimes gets a small handful of holistic herb-based biscuits with it). That's it really.

Once all her meals are bagged up in the freezer it's just a case of remembering to get them out the night before to defrost. If I forget to do this then I just pop to the corner shop for a tin of sardines so it's no problem. So really, apart from the 2 hours' preparation at the start of each month, it takes no more organisation than feeding them kibble really.

Also remember you can balance the weight of their food out over the week - this was crucial for me in the learning curve. Bella is a guzzler (she swallowed a big back leg of a rabbit absolutely whole and chicken wings are a no-no with her) so she needs to have good-sized RMB meals to force her to eat them more carefully. To balance that out she gets small evening meals. So for example Monday she'll have 100g of chicken on the bone in the morning, 40g of mince in the evening, then Tuesday she'll get 150g breast of lamb in the morning, 40g mince in the evening, and over the week it all balances out to 1.3kg including treats. It does take a while to get your head round it, I think it was about 4 months really till I felt confident about it and I made loads of adjustments before getting to where I am now.

I'd say if you're just starting out, don't be too hard on yourself, go with your gut instinct (I'm a real worrier on the bone front so only go with things I really feel happy with - chicken and soft breast of lamb bones) and don't be afraid to voice your concerns.  ;)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 02:11:27 PM »

I was just wondering the same thing as I'm really trying to get up the courage to move Alfie onto BARF but I'm just too scared to take that final plunge! Also cost may be a factor for me as he's a greedy wee sod and weighs over 15kg at 7 months so I'll probably be just as well to feed him a whole cow or something  :005: :005:

:005: :005: Nicola, thats exactly how I feel.  I've gradually come round to the fact, it might be a good idea from reading posts on here. My initial reaction was disgust.  :005:  I'm quite frightened about the bone thing and what if I don't get it right and they don't get the right nutrition.  And like you the cost is a factor with two big dogs to feed as well as Barney.  Also, what if I start them on it and don't feel its right, or somethings lacking or it doesn't agree with them, will I ever get them to eat kibble again?

I think I need to research a bit more first, I'm going to get the books Claire suggested earlier in the thread and take it from there. 

In some other threads I've got the impression that some people would definitely not feed BARF and I'd be interested to know why they're not keen on it.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 02:32:30 PM »

:005: :005: Nicola, thats exactly how I feel.  I've gradually come round to the fact, it might be a good idea from reading posts on here. My initial reaction was disgust.  :005:  I'm quite frightened about the bone thing and what if I don't get it right and they don't get the right nutrition.  And like you the cost is a factor with two big dogs to feed as well as Barney.  Also, what if I start them on it and don't feel its right, or somethings lacking or it doesn't agree with them, will I ever get them to eat kibble again?

I think I need to research a bit more first, I'm going to get the books Claire suggested earlier in the thread and take it from there. 

In some other threads I've got the impression that some people would definitely not feed BARF and I'd be interested to know why they're not keen on it.

Exactly! I sooo know what you mean, from what some people say it sounds fantastic but I'm scared to put him on it and then for it not to work out for whatever reason and then him not want to eat dry food again. It's taken me long enough to find a dry food which he likes (Arden Grange) and I don't want to go through all that chopping and changing again...  :-\  Also, he doesn't like raw chicken wings (although he loves cooked chicken) so that's the cheapest option out the window before we even start! The cost will be even more of a factor for you with Max and Sapphi as well as Barney  :o  I've noticed too that some people aren't keen on BARF but others swear by it... what to do!! I've ordered a couple of the books from amazon so we can keep each other posted!

Rhona - Alfie was 13.6kg at 5 months so it sounds like one of your guys might be catching up on him... I'm glad I won't be the only one with a supersize working cocker!  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
I'm hoping this won't start up another BARF/kibble war but I just thought I'd put my point of view as I've kind of experienced both sides:

I was feeding Bella on Burns and then Arden Grange - both good, high quality, additive free kibbles. I felt like these were really good, but Bella, although she seemed okay in herself, kept on getting ear and eye infections all the time. Literally every 2 weeks we'd be at the vet with something else, this went on for the first 9 months that we had her. She was well excercised (but not too much), she didn't have any junky treats, she wasn't going in manky water, I tried Thornits in her ears, kept the insides clipped short, tried adding cider vinegar and various supplements to her food and water, but nothing seemed to make any difference. I was ending up with a huge vet's bill, Bella was getting thoroughly fed up of always being pinned down to have ear or eye drops put in, not to mention a big fear of the vet's.

I'd heard about the raw diet. I thought it was faddy and faintly ridiculous and hadn't even considered it as an option. But I then read somewhere (maybe on here?) about it helping some dogs who have had bad health. I did a bit of research and I think in Billinghurst's book it said that it can really help with constant ear and eye infections. "Hmmm" I thought. I still wasn't keen and it was a nightmare because the arguments were either vehemently FOR it or vehemently AGAINST it. There wasn't much about how to actually go about it, or not in an easy way.

In the end I decided I'd try it for a trial period of 2 months. If there was no improvement in Bella's health I would switch back to kibble but just try and find a different brand. Either that or accept that she was destined to have infections all the time. 2 months into the trial she'd had no infections at all - it was the longest period she'd not been to the vet's since I'd had her. Her coat looked incredible, her teeth were whiter and she was clearly enjoying the food. She went for her boosters not long after this and the vet commented on how good her condition was. I mentioned the raw diet and she said "well it's got to be a good thing for her". So I decided to keep her on it - simple as that.

My cats are still on Hill's, they always have been and they are both well, the old one has various age-related things but at 15 still has all her teeth, the 8 year old looks great. So I'm not particularly for or against either. All I know is that for Bella, BARF has been the best thing in the world. I thought with the summer coming up "well now we'll really see if she gets ear infections" - not a single one so far, or eye problems either. I really firmly believe this is down to her diet. OH, who was very against BARF, is also now convinced.

Personally I think if kibble or naturediet or whatever you're feeding is working for your dog then why worry - if it's not, then BARF may help. The downside to it is you have to deal with handling raw meat more than you may like to, with dealing with the hygene issues around that and with having the responsibility for safely feeding your dog bones and the possible risk that they (or you) may get an infection from bad meat one day. For me, I'd rather risk this (9 months in none of us has had any problems at all) than be at the vet's every two weeks with a poorly dog. I think it's purely up to the individual.  ;)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
Nicola, I got this like from the other BARF thread going at the moment.  I think it looks like quite a good book so I'm going to order it.

http://www.crosskeysbooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=378

It looks an easy book to digest if you know what I mean.  ;)  :005:  I'm worried about information overload, it doesn't take much for me to get confused!  :lol:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)