Author Topic: My Cocker keeps Snapping at Children  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: My Cocker keeps Snapping at Children
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:33:01 PM »
I agree with Rachel and Freya that your best plan would be to have the dog checked out by a behaviour counsellor.
As has already been said you vet should be able to refer you.
In the meantime you could condition your dog to a muzzle.
I use one for my reactive boy Bayley not that he would snap at any one and every one but it gives me piece of mind that if he did have a go his teeth would be severley restricted.
He only wears it now and again in situations that because of his history I don't trust him 100%.
He is the sweetest dog and ever so affectionate and playful but when he does throw a wobbler for what ever reason and although it's just lunging and barking I make sure no one can get hurt.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline darkminstral

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:06:54 PM »
I have a black 18 month cock spaniel.  I also have 2 children aged 10 and 13.  When he was younger he tried to be quite dominant but I  made sure the children took him on walks and gave him instruction, fed him and took a role in his life.  He can sometimes be bossy but he went for the big operation and i think that it definately chilled him out!  The main reason I took him for the op was because he would mount my childrens legs!!!  This was not good!  His behaviour has definately improved!!  He is now a much loved playful fun loving dog who is a major part in our family!!!  I wish you lots of luck as it must be very worrying if he snaps near children.  Especially if you are going to start a family!!!  Get him booked in to the vets for the op!!!  Regards Jane and Max >:D
Jane & Max

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:11:12 PM »
I have a black 18 month cock spaniel.  I also have 2 children aged 10 and 13.  When he was younger he tried to be quite dominant but I  made sure the children took him on walks and gave him instruction, fed him and took a role in his life.  He can sometimes be bossy but he went for the big operation and i think that it definately chilled him out!  The main reason I took him for the op was because he would mount my childrens legs!!!  This was not good!  His behaviour has definately improved!!  He is now a much loved playful fun loving dog who is a major part in our family!!!  I wish you lots of luck as it must be very worrying if he snaps near children.  Especially if you are going to start a family!!!  Get him booked in to the vets for the op!!!  Regards Jane and Max >:D

Although castration can modify a dogs temperment, it is not a "cure all" and depending on the reason for the dogs behaviour, castration can actually make a dog more snappy/agressive  :-\

A good behavioural assessment prior to any decison to neuter is definitely the way to go  ;)

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline farthingm

• Site Member
  • Zutti
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 11:24:24 AM »
Thank you all for your reply's. It has been helpful.  :blink:

I have never owned a dog before so all of this from the start was a big learning for me/husband. Zutti has been use to children of all ages since we got him as a pup. My niece who is now 7, use to play with him for hours, and roll on the floor with him and cuddle him (which she can't do anymore) The first incident happend when my husband was working away in America (he did a lot when Zutti was a pup - probably most of the first 9 Months) my sister was staying over with my Nephew & Neice, they were sat on the couch and my sister was sat on the chair and l sat on the floor near Zutti, my sister cooked tea and l sat on the floor eating it, l gave Zutti a Big Bonio, which he was eating near me, then my niece wanted to come and sit next to me and give me a cuddle. She gave over, and he started to show his teeth, so l told Bethany to go and sit back down which she did. I finished eating, then she came to sit next to me, Zutti then punced on her and push her over. I was so upset l didn't know what to do, l shouted at him, then threw him into the kitchen and left him. Later on that night, l let him come back in and Bethany was wary then, she sat next to her mum, Zutti came in and sniffed her, then jumped onto the couch with me (he's not allowed on the couch anymore - which is better for all of us, especially with those mucky paws) my newphew asked to stroke him, which Zutti was fine with, then Bethany asked if she could and because he was ok with my nephew l thought he would be ok - Big mistake - he did it again and snapped! I know this was because he was with me and on the couch...

The only other times he's done this is when he's been on the couch and my niece went up to him from the floor to stroke - Snpped again! then with my neighbour's child, Zutti went to curl on the floor near my husband and within seconds she went down to him to stroke! I think we can see the pattern of this happening, but it still worries me.

I now ask all children to not approach him, unless they come to them, l have no bones/chews etc... around for him until they have gone to bed or he's outside.. But he tends to bring in things like sticks/toys, then plays with them on his own near the children, then if they move or get up he get's very protective of them - this is something l can't understand why he does that.

After some of your advice l took him to the vets on Friday to have hime checked over, she has reccomended having his castrated,  :embarassed:  and has given me details of a Behaviourist.
My Newphew and Neice stayed on Friday night, they know the rules with him, and he was ok with them, and we took him for a walk on Saturday l let them both walk him, and he seemed ok, but l still need to keep an eye on him. I want to get this problem sorted with him soon as we are trying for a baby, so he needs to be prepared for all this to come. :o
Mini & Zutti

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
I'm sure a behavourist is your best way forward.  If you're not keen on having him castrated, could you see the behavourist and seek their advice prior to any castration? As Rachel has said in her earlier post, castration doesn't cure all problems all of the time.

I'm am absolutely no expert on this subject, but from what you have written in your last post I think Zutti's behaviour is associated with "guarding".  Some dogs exhibit guarding behaviour over food, or people, or toys etc.  I'm not sure that castration would deal with that issue.  From what you have said he's only guarding "his" things from children.  Have you ever seen him guarding anything from you, say when he's eating his food, does he growl if you are go near him?

When my pup was very young, he did growl if you went near him when he was eating his food. I sought help and within a day he stopped and we can stroke him now while he's eating, and we can add things to his bowl now while he's eating and because we worked with him then we are able to take toys off him or something tasty that he shouldn't be having, without any problem.  As he was very young, i.e 9 or 10 weeks, it was very easily rectified. 

I think I put in my earlier post the inicident I had with my niece, when she frightened/hurt Barney.  I gradually re-introduced them, taking small steps and not moving on until I knew Barney was completely comfortable.  On my nieces last visit, they were both fine together.  Though I have noticed that Barney is somewhat wary of toddlers now but he has met another one out in the street and although he jumped a bit when she came quickly towards him, once we got her to slow down he was fine and was having his tummy tickled in no time.  My point is that if Zutti is only displaying this behaviour around children and it started when he was eating a treat and your niece approaced him, he may think that all children will take something away from him, hence he guards everything from them

A behaviourist will be able to advise the best and safest way to re-introduce Zutti to children and show him they aren't a threat to his "things".  Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)