Author Topic: Rage Syndrome does not have to spell the end, and can be the begining!  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Rage Syndrome does not have to spell the end, and can be the begining!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 12:10:43 PM »
My opinion is that Rage Syndrome should not warrant death!!!! An altertnative should be sort. Death is a cop out of ones responsiblities.

That may be your opinion but sadly I doubt a court would agree with you - any dog who bites and causes injury in a public place could be ordered by a court to be PTS under the Dangerous Dogs Act. You obviously feel strongly about this because you were in a situation to manage the behaviour of your dogs but it is quite insulting to suggest that those owners who have explored all other avenues and have to make the heartbreaking decision to have their dog PTS are somehow "copping out" of their responsibilities. Of course you're entitled to your views but you'll have to accept that there are many who will not share them.
Jane

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
  • Little Ollie and Little Nell
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
No I haven't rescued a dog from a rescue centre, but I did adopt Dorrit as she was unwanted gift. Would I adopt a dog with 'supposed' Rage? Yes without a doubt I would. No one said having a dog should or would be easy.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 12:39:43 PM »
Would I adopt a dog with 'supposed' Rage? Yes without a doubt I would.

If you are serious about being prepared to take on an agressive dog, and you have the experience to do so, then I would recommend that you visit the dogpages website - there are troubled dogs looking for homes every day, waiting for someone like you  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »
I am serious and am currently looking. A dog with rage syndrome doesn't equal a 'vicious' dog. Rage represents a troubled misunderstood dog.

HAve any of the peole, who have responded to my messages ever lived with a dog with rage Syndrome, because I have and they DON'T suffered enraged/Rage attacks  24 - 7. There are many periods of love and devotion. Take it from someone who knows and has experienced living with a dog with the condition.

By the responses so far, it appears that people only see black and white, while ignoring the mutlitude iof colour inbetween. Dogs suffer the same ailments as we humans. Therefore they deserve a greater understanding.

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 01:55:58 PM »
it sounds to me like your dorrit was very lucky to have an owner like you when she was diagnosed. :)

i think possibly you need to understand that if an owner of a dog with rage has children or feels, possibly quite sensibly, that they are not the right person to deal with such a condition, then it must be very hard to know what to do, especially if everyone around them, inc vets and animal rescues, is recommending that the dog be put to sleep. a dog is a big enough responsibility as it is without having to live with the fear that it may pose a real threat to other people. for many people, it would be too much.

my mother's family had a much loved golden cocker in the 50/60's that made several seemingly unprovoked attacks on my mum and her brothers. no one knows whether this was 'rage' or not but it was a horrible decision to make to have her put to sleep and an incredibly hard time for everyone. with hindsight, they might agree with you that it was a 'cop out' but at the time they didn't feel that there was anything else to be done and also couldn't bear that thought that their dog might injure someone else.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 02:16:03 PM »
I am serious and am currently looking. A dog with rage syndrome doesn't equal a 'vicious' dog. Rage represents a troubled misunderstood dog.

I said aggressive, not vicious  :-\

It is a shame that you seem so negative about repsonsible owners who admit their limitations  :-\ There are so few homes which are able to offer what you obviously can, no matter how many changes they make; surely you don't suggest that people keep pets that they do not feel able to control/manage??
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »
By the responses so far, it appears that people only see black and white, while ignoring the mutlitude iof colour inbetween. Dogs suffer the same ailments as we humans. Therefore they deserve a greater understanding.

But isn't that what you're doing? You're saying a dog prone to serious bouts of unprovoked aggression should not be PTS and any owner who does this is copping out which sounds pretty black & white to me. In a perfect world, all dogs owners would have your own abilities to cope with a dog with serious behavioural problems but we don't live in an ideal world - there are never enough homes for all the unwanted dogs who don't have mental problems let alone those that do.
Jane

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 03:09:10 PM »
If one of your dog's attacked you,what would you do?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 03:15:28 PM »
If one of your dog's attacked you,what would you do?

I had assumed that dorrit had been bitten - it is fairly inevitable that family members living with a dog suffering from Rage would have been bitten severely and repeatedly over time  :-\

I am unsure how it is possible for some dogs to be more severely effected than others, Rage is pretty distinct in its symptoms:
http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/whatisrage.htm
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 03:50:50 PM »

Reading through the In Memorium pages on the Rage site is truly heartbreaking. These owners had to make the most difficult decision of their lives, I don't think they were 'copping out' at all.

Jasper's story

Thank heavens it's a relatively rare condition and very few of us will be put in the unenviable position of having to decide to PTS a much loved pet.

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:04 PM »
It appears that people are all to ready to read and beleive what they want to beleive! The research page that i was directed to is interesting and factual, but I stick by my earlier statement, that there should be a choice and it would be nice if this forum was a place that could assist in the rehabilitaion of dogs suffering from RS.

To answer the question as to what I would do if I was bitten by a dog with rage. I would work with and not give up on it. I would reprimand the dog and work with it's disability.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 04:04:11 PM »
As a 16 year old I had to have my dog put to sleep because of Rage. He was a much loved cocker. I have waited 22 year before getting my much loved Dyllan.
It was not a "cop" out it was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. I still miss Ben and there is not a week goes by that I'm not reminded of him!
Sarah
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
To answer the question as to what I would do if I was bitten by a dog with rage. I would work with and not give up on it. I would reprimand the dog and work with it's disability.

If you have never been bitten by any of your dogs, how was a diagnosis of Rage made ??  :huh:

I'm bowing out of this discussion now- your comment about reprimanding the dog shows how little you understand about this condition  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 04:15:53 PM »
We shall agree to disagree.

I had hoped to give other people whose dog suffers from RS hope, but it appears not to be the case.

Ovbiously your idea of reprimanding is different from mine. Perhaps you should read the dog whisperer... It takes allsorts. But I stand by my statement and Murder is Murder and that's what PTS is! Dress it up in what ever clothes you like, but PTS is murder, plain and simple.

If you did the same to a human, it would be murder. Why should dogs be any different?

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 04:20:50 PM »
 ok hold on here Dorit Ive had a rage dog I know exactly what there like . I had my red girl  :luv: years & years  ago I never regret getting her although we have since sound that she may have been a puppy farmed dog  :embarassed: . she was the sweetest little angel most of the time but she did turn . this isent just about an agressive dog nor is it a " troubled misunderstood dog " I belive rage is a mental condition where you cannot control or work on a dog that dosent know what it does  :-\ my girl dident know what the heck she was doing and would  come round to not know where she was  :-\ fortunalty she had warning signs that gave us time to get out of her way  .but  these dogs can cause some seriouse injuries . she wasent pts but it was only because of her warning signs she gave us . dorrit what warning signs did your 3 cockers give you ? to have 3 you have been very very unlucky as its so rare .
personly id leave it up to behavourists or people who know so much about rage to tell me about my dogs behvour to rule out agression
ive seen many times that dogs have been labled rage only for it to turn out that the dog actully was hurt in some way that the vet had missed the first time. and lots of vets have said that dogs have had rage when a behavourist has found the reason why the dog was agressive . a behavourist can at least rule out any signs of agression that a owner or vet may not be able to see .
how does a vet figure dogs have rage ...... when rage happenes in a spilt second and dosent last for very long . the vet would have to see it for himself see the signs and rule out any reason for the dog attacking .
Im sure my girls bite was far worse then her bark and I think you have kind of misunderstood how real rage can really be . lots of rage dog owners love there dogs putting them to sleep is a last resort sad but I do understand why people have to make the sad choice .
Id still have a soild cocker tommoro  :luv: if you asked me or if I had room for one  :005:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais