Author Topic: any suggestions for a non destructable toy  (Read 3843 times)

Offline denyW

• Site Member
  • Holly/ Amber/ Holly and Amber
any suggestions for a non destructable toy
« on: December 25, 2006, 10:13:18 PM »
okay dokey, wiggley giggley went in the binny.... rubber balls of size and density are shredded..... rubber bones are eaten.... thick plastic beds are chewed beyond recongition..... pet beds with cushions are used to unstuff and eat the filling..... wicker baskets have edges chewed ...... skrting boards now need sanding and possibly replacing..... travel box is hingeless and does not hold holly in as you lift using the handle and the bottom stays on the floor as no hinges left...... soft toys have the stuffing removed... and no paper or anything that resembles something that can be eaten is left lying around everything is now high up as we own a dog on springs.....
We are now open to suggestions as to a play toy for holly and anything that would help her to stop chewing. Steve has suggested buying a cricket ball for her to play with i'm not sure if the sand is agreeable with her digestion........ ha ha.....

heeeeeeeeeeeelppppppppppppppppppp.....

ohhhh by the way merry christmas everyone.....
Dee.

Penel

Re: any suggestions for a non destructable toy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
Have you tried her with Kongs - I've only come across one dog that can destroy those  ::) - my English setter  :005:  none of my other dogs can wreck them though so it is def worth a try !  stuff em with food, it can take them ages to get it all out !!!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 11:27:52 PM »
Have you tried a hard nylabone?

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=23959.0

They do grow out of it -honestly  :shades: . Until then you will just have to get used to replacing toys regularly, use charity shops for the soft toys and don't expect them to last. Use any cardboard boxes/ toilet roll inners/scrunched up newspapers you can get your hands on and allow them to be shredded. We used to pick up the soggy bits once a day and the next day it would start all over again  ::) .....

Oh- and use cardboard boxes with the sides cut down -removing any staples/sticky tape beforehand of course  ;) , for the first few months in place of a proper dog bed)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »
No good asking us - the christmas pressie lasted less than 10 mins before the stuffing was being removed. The old bed removed to the garage and the new bed OK so far - but early days!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 11:36:55 PM »
Have you tried her with Kongs - I've only come across one dog that can destroy those  ::) - my English setter  :005:  none of my other dogs can wreck them though so it is def worth a try !  stuff em with food, it can take them ages to get it all out !!!

I was going to suggest Kongs as it's the only thing Billy hasn't ever destroyed  ::) Can't get anything in there though that takes him longer than 5mins to demolish, he's quite cunning in his methods of kong stuffing demolition  ::)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 11:37:21 PM »
We are now open to suggestions as to a play toy for holly and anything that would help her to stop chewing.
You will not stop her chewing. She is teething. All you can do is make sure she has plenty of things to chew on and knows what she can chew and what she cant. I have read on a couple of other threads that ice cubes can help sooth the gums. It's worth a go, -some dogs love crunching them up and chasing them across the floor too.
happydog

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 12:12:20 PM »
you can also put some food in the kong then freeze it that will help with sore gums. you can also buy kongs that have ridges for puppies to chew to help their gums and teeth.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 03:58:32 PM »
Kong's are normaly good BUT we brought an Extra large 1 for Cindy our golden retriever,she destroyed it  >:D  >:D We sent it back the the manufactures  :005: and said we thought dogs couldn't destroy them, as it says on the packet!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 04:24:57 PM »
Kong's are normaly good BUT we brought an Extra large 1 for Cindy our golden retriever,she destroyed it  >:D  >:D We sent it back the the manufactures  :005: and said we thought dogs couldn't destroy them, as it says on the packet!
and.................?
happydog

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »
What fun is a toy if you can't destroy it?  :005:

Really, mine aren't interested in indestructible toys, so I give them things like the cardboard tubes from paper towels and toilet paper. I buy stuffed animals from the charity shops (making sure they don't have any beans or plastic pellets in them) so theres no real money in them.

Makes for a bit of cleaning up but I do have to say (touch wood) that I don't have chewing problems because they do have things they are allowed to destroy.

There are all kinds of stuffed (and unstuffed) animals around here in various stages of dismemberment ::)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline denyW

• Site Member
  • Holly/ Amber/ Holly and Amber
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 05:27:31 PM »
first off thanks very much for all your suggestions here.... i have taken most of them on board but i did neglect to say that Holly ' the terminator' is not a puppy so to speak she is now 15 months old. I think i might try one of these kong toys and see if it will stay intact for atleast a few hours.....hahahaha.... i wont hold my breath though.....watch this space for further installments of the terminator at work..... in arnies words I'll be backkkkkkkkkkkk...
Cheers..
Dee.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 08:00:20 PM »
and.................?

They never got back in touch with us  ::)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 08:22:35 PM »
I  have the same problem with Aspen who is 13 months old. Two christmas presents were in the bin by 11am yesterday morning  ::)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »
and.................?

They never got back in touch with us  ::)
They probably didn't believe you  :005: .
happydog

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 09:02:19 PM »
So glad I'm not alone with a destroyer!  Ben is 17 months and destroys every toy with great enjoyment!  His kong has a very large hole now but has survived a few months. 

I bought several cheap toys for his Christmas presents ...................... one of our Christmas games was to bet on how long it took him to remove the squeek from his plastic toy - strip a tennis ball of fluff - and remove the tennis balls from the rope  :005:

Luckily he seems to have stopped the furniture chewing but still steals washing and tea towels  ph34r

A few months ago I was picking up bits of hard rubber toy and could just make out a bit of the word 'indestructable'  :005:  I think I could make a fortune by using him as a 'toy test' dog  ;)