Author Topic: Please, please, please help me!!!!!!  (Read 3746 times)

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
Re: Please, please, please help me!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »
House training Ruby was hard work so please don't feel that you are alone there!

We cracked it with her by always giving her a treat and loads of praise when she performed outside. Someone on the forum, Crafty Sam, I think, suggested Primula Cheese Spread. One squeeze after toileting outside and nothing if she did it inside!

Ruby soon learnt the benefits of going outside!

Mind you, she does sometimes have the odd accident now and then so we can't get complacent!

Good luck!

Tracey and Ruby xx

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »
Can't add much to the excellent advice you've been given, except that my behaviourist told me to use a 'go to the toilet' command with Ben
something like 'hurry up'  or 'get it done'  or 'be busy'  whatever!

when Ben was smaller I used to take him out and tell him to hurry up, then once he had performed praise him like mad.  Obviously at first is dosn't mean anything but soon he will connect that command with go to the loo now, which is great for getting them to go out wherever you are so you lessen the risk of accidents inside.

Bens mum

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
We use 'hurry up' too( less embarassing than some :005:) :D You will end up with a dog who toilets on command, where you want it ;)

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »
Hi all,

You deserve rewards thankyou so much I feel better already and much more relaxed lastnight was the most relaxed night we've had in a while with Floyd.  :-*

I know its only been 1 night but I already feel more positive I didn't realise it at the time but he already responds to a comand to go outside 'go for a wee, wee' (yeah I know embarrassing) but I got in early evening yesterday and said go for a wee wee and he ran straight outside and did his business!!!!  :blink: I couldn't believe it I went outside with him and praised him like mad and gave him a piece of chicken he was so proud of himself skipping around and showing off.  :angel: Then later on the barking started me and my partner ignored him (it was hard to do I just wanted to say calm down) and he stopped, he did this about 4 times last night and stopped when we ignored him!!

There was no mess on the kitchen floor this morning I let him out for about 25 Min's and then let him back in then he usually comes in a does something but I watched him where he couldn't see me I knew he was going to do something so I put him outside & he did it there. Yeah progress   :D I know its going to take time but without you guys I would have been in a mess!

Thankyou from a less stressed Gemma and a showoff Floyd  :luv:
Gemma,gorgeous Floyd and cutey Charlie xxxxxxx
www.myspaniel.co.uk
'without a doggy in my world, life would be boring'

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »
Great news!!  Work on the barking and toilet for the next few weeks and then move on to your next concern...

So glad you feel better - Floyd will also note that you are calmer.

Keep us updated!
x
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 09:33:13 AM »
Thats brilliant. Good luck for the next few days.
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »
Gemma that is just brilliant keep it up!
BTW Floyd is beautiful x
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »
 >:( Bad news everyone!

After that one night of everything looking like it was going to improve he has been naughter than ever since  >:D.

Hes barking more than ever at the min & no matter how much we ignore him he's still doing it. He's weeing & pooing everywhere and not doing it outside often. He's just being so naughty, He took mine and my boyfriend's chicken sandwhiches off the table yesterday and eat them when we wernt looking.

Ive been to a behaviourist before but that didnt work. Help!!!!!!!!!
www.myspaniel.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
You really need to go out with him (don't just leave it to him to be out there --- pop a lead on him if he begins faffing around) at regualr intervals to get over this problem and even if he has a good day don't think thats it keep at it until he has lots of good days.

Teenage cockers can be a real pain at times

He also sounds like he needs to bond with you a bit more (he doesn't sound like he's listening to you at all) --- they do get that independent streak when they become teens. I would try a programme of games, obedience training and may be clicker training --- games are good to help increase a bond with an owner, obedience training so he learns who's in charge, and clicker training as its something new to stimulate him as well.

Mine stretch my patience sometimes so I go back to working more with them --- playing games, going over basic training and may be teaching them something new (little and often though)

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
I think you are expecting things to change too quickly.

Ignore him when he's barking and try not to get stressed by it. Turn away from him and don't look or speak until he has been quiet for a few seconds then praise.

You could also do some training with him before he barks to teach him what being quiet means. Do you do any clicker work with him? We asked Saphire to lie down, sat beside her and stroked her until she flopped on her side then clicked and treated whilst she was still and quiet.  Gradually we added a verbal command of 'settle down'.

As for the toilet training you really need to go back to basics for as long as it takes. That means someone being at home with him and taking him out every half hour, on waking and after food etc.  You need to go out with him but don't interact with him until he's been then go completely over the top with praise and a treat! Please just ignore any mess he makes inside and calmly clean it up as shouting or negative body language towards him will just prolong the process.

He is still very young and training has to be consistant and ongoing  ;)

Keep at it as it really will make a huge difference even if it doesn't feel like it at the mo!

Jane, Sapphire and Merlin x

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 12:29:17 PM »
Thanks for the support everyone, I think it's just stressing me because hes getting worse than ever.

I will keep at it and wont give up, I havnt done clicker training with Floyd but will give it ago.

Fingers crossed.  :-\
www.myspaniel.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
>:( Bad news everyone!

After that one night of everything looking like it was going to improve he has been naughter than ever since  >:D.

Hes barking more than ever at the min & no matter how much we ignore him he's still doing it. He's weeing & pooing everywhere and not doing it outside often. He's just being so naughty, He took mine and my boyfriend's chicken sandwhiches off the table yesterday and eat them when we wernt looking.

Ive been to a behaviourist before but that didnt work. Help!!!!!!!!!

You only asked for advice about his behaviour a week ago - it is unrealistic to expect immediate changes; he learnt how to behave in this way over a few months, and it can take longer for dogs (and people) to unlearn behaviour  :005:

Stick with it - if the behaviourist gave you a programme to address the behaviour then I would try to follow it, and ask for clarification from them if you are not sure about something  ;) The nice thing about dogs is that they have their own personalities, which means that even the most well behaved dogs will occasionally "break the rules" - thats part of their charm  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline redmal

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
You're doing GREAT  & you've got great advice on here too :D. Id just like to add, when a dog gets a reward for doing something ( think barking & then getting attention) and then the reward is withdrawn ( think ignoring him when he barks) the dog will actually repeat the action HARDER than before for a while. Its a bit like "OI YOU, LOOK AT ME WHEN IM (MIS)BEHAVING" ;). Eventually the penny will drop that the action is pointless, so it will stop. In other words "keep on keeping on & in the end you WILL get there!! :shades:

Good luck!!

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 02:26:31 PM »
I think I just want everything to fall in place to quickly I know it takes time its just that he's got worse than ever in this past week since my last post so started to panic again.  :-\

Its like having children having a dog, I will just have to keep at it. I feel me and Floyd have lost our bond a little because I did used to shout at him when he made a smelly mess in the house but now I know better I dont but I feel like ive lost that closeness with him. I will have to work on it and play with him & give him extra cuddles.
www.myspaniel.co.uk

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »
I hope all goes well for you.

Youhave some good advice on here.

Stay calm and be persistent.

It will take a while!! 

Annie is now 19 months old and only this morning would not come to me after her walk....I just walked on and she soon followed.
Ignore bad behaviour.  Cockers love attention - only give when they are good!!

Keep us updated with any positives (however small)! ;)
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri