Author Topic: I really need your help with pipin  (Read 3734 times)

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
I really need your help with pipin
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:39:28 AM »
Hi you are probaly all going to hate me for what I write but any adive would be really grateful.
When first got pipin I took her to puppy training classes and she seemed to be doing well. Then as the weeks went by she still wasn't house trained she was a hyper and jumping up all the time and wouldn't do a thing you told her,She didn't like being on her own and would howl until someone was with her. So I spoke to the lady a was doing the classes with and it turned out she is a pet behavourist she come round to my house and set a plan to stick to and said to me that if this plan doesn't work you need to think about rehoming her as she said she needed one to one attention which I couldn't give her all the time as I have a liver diease and will need a transplant at some time and I have 2 very young boys to look after.Anyway I stuck to this plan which was pages long and still no improvement. I really didn't want to rehome her but when this lady came along who had lost her cocker spaniel last year and said she was looking for another and said she had been though the same with her dog as what I was going though with pipin she sounded the perfect person for pipin so with a heavey heart I rehomed her to this lady. Everything was going fine and Iwas phoning every week to check that she was ok. But then yesterday I got a phone call from this women saying she didn't want pipin anymore and would I come and get her I asked why she didn't want her and she said 1. pipin was growling and being aggressive{which she never was when with me} 2. she was chewing everything in her house{pipin never chewed anything but shoes and toys when with me}3. she was just too hyper{which I already new about and told her before she got her about this and she said she had been though it with her old dog}4. She wouldn't do as she was told{agiain I told her this}5. she was pooing and weeing everywhere { again I told her this}6.pipin had to be with her all the time otherwise she would cry{again I told her this and she siad her dog was like this and that she really loved the way she wanted to be near her all time} Anyway I went to get her and pipin is covered from head to foot in Knotts so I have a dog groomer coming out today to sort her out. Pipin is still hyper and still doesn't do want she is told and she still doesn't like being on her own.I don't know wheather to phone the pet behaviourist again I just don't know what to do. any help would be really grateful. sorrry this post is really long.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: I really need your help with pipin
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:07:51 AM »
I can't help but just wanted to say that i hope everything gets sorted, and what a horrible situation. :(

At least you now have Pipin back with you and can make sure everything works out for her, whether that's with you or with another family.

You haven't said how old Pipin is which may help for advice. It's probably worth trying the behaviourist again, as she knows Pipin and the situation.

Best of luck, and i really do hope it all works out.  :blink:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »
I am sorry things have not worked out too well so far.   :-\
I can't offer any help either, but was also wondering how old Pipin was and also how long she was at the other home?
I am sure someone will come along soon with some advice for you, but I would definitely go down the behaviourists route again, at least you will know what is happening and be able to give advice to people if you decide to rehome her again.  :-\

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »
Pipin is about 9 to 10 months old now I think. thanks for replying to me.

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »
She was at her new home for about 6 weeks I think

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »
Poor poor Pipin! She must be so confused and upset!!!!!! Have you spoken to the breeder at all? I really feel for this poor little girl!  :'(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:22 AM »
From reading your other posts, Pippin would be about 8-9 months old so she's at the "terrible teenage" phase when lots of Cockers really try the patience of their owners. It sounds like you already have a lot on your plate with your illness and 2 small boys to look after so you need to ask yourself whether you are physically able to put the work in that Pippin needs. If you can't, then you need the help of a reputable rescue who will assess Pippin and provide long term back-up once a new home is found. This is a much better option than another private rehome which may also fail like this one has. Contact our Rescue Mod, PennyB, if you want further advice on this.
Jane

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:17:25 AM »
Sounds to me like you need to get the experts on the case  ;)  It does sound like a professional rescue is the answer here - they will be able to assess Pipin properly and find a home that suits her needs far better than you can.

Good luck with everything.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
I know I have this horrible illness but I really really would like to keep her I don't think it is fair on her rehoming again. I will do anything to keep her. so any advice on what I should to train her would be grateful

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
I would imagine that you have to go back to basics with training and begin treating her as if she were a puppy again. She sounds like she is entering her teenage phase and this is notoriously hard work. You

Certain aspects I dont think I can help with as Im not that experienced but with regard to house training you need to go back to basics, ignoring her if she goes inside, and treating/praising like mad when she goes outside.

Chewing - anything that she is chewing that is unwanted you should replace with something that you do want her to chaw - toys/rawhide chews etc

Is she a show or working cocker??

Regarding her being hyper - What are you feeding her? I would probably try and feed her something with no additives like JWB or Burns or a BARF diet if you are happy to try that out. Diet can have a huge impact on a dog's behaviour. Is she being exercised regularly - she should ideally be having about 45 mins twice a day.

With regard to her not liking being on her own - you need to build the time up that she spends on her own gradually, have you got a baby gate that you can use to seperate her in another room from yourself? You should start this off with a very small amount of time eg 1 minute - put her in a separate room and leave her - when you go to let her out ignore her and carry on as normal, do not make a fuss of her. You should then be able to build this time up gradually. If she is whining/barking/howling when you are not in the same room only let her out of the room when there is a break in the whining otherwise she will learn that by making noise she gets what she wants.

Have you tried using a DAP diffuser - these emit Dog Appeasing Pheromones which mock the pheromones let off by a bitch when she has had puppies - these help relax and calm them. I have one of these plugged in my house and the difference with my dog was amazing - Hurley doesnt like being apart from me either and will whine constantly if we are upstairs and he is downstairs, the DAP diffuser has definitely helped.

Anyway Im sure someone with more knowledge will come along and be able to offer constructive advice - these are just some of the points of where I would begin..

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »
It sounds like this dog needs some consistency and self control to get it back on the rails.
The behaviour you describe is typical  of lots of dogs of this age and I would suggest you get one to one training or re home the dog as suggested.
What you don't want is this to go on and on.
As suggested Penny B is the one to talk to about re homing issues.
Careful handling of these issues is needed now so problems do not escalate in later life.
Some people on here use the NILIF approach (nothing in life is free) where you make your dog earn everything but I am not that extreme with mine because I do not need to be, but every dog and every situation is different.
Why not get a behaviourist preferably someone who knows the breed to assess your dog and advise you on your next course of action.
Where are you?
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
I would also first of all pick up on the diet. Extreme hyperactivity is more often than not down to the diet. It can be artificial additives and other chemicals in the food, or it can be allergies against totally normal foods... The diet needs to be explored and sorted out first of all.

And yes, a good behaviourist could help, but you need to make sure that they know what they are doing, being a dog trainer and a dog behaviourist are two quite different things. I would go through one of the major professional organisations if I was you.

As Topbarks asked... where abouts are you?
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 12:22:26 PM »
Thanks replying to me.I have left a massage on the pet behaviourist answer machine so hopefully she will get back to me soon. I have a dog groomer coming in at 4.00 and I am taking her to the vet to be checked out at 5.20. I am not rehoming her yet until I have spoken with the pet behaviourist to see if see can help me out and I will do everything to keep her this time so talking to this penny about rehoming is not something I intend to do unless the behaviourist says it is best.

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:24:32 PM »
Hi I feed her James wellbeloved and I live in oxfordshire I will ask the vet about this dap tonight too.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »
I have heard that in some very rare cases, dogs have been hyper on JWB. I don't know why because it is a good food, but might well be worth changing it to a different high quality food (e.g. Burns, CSJ etc.), perhaps one with different ingredients alltogether like fish and rice or even fish and potatoe.

One of our dogs gets hyper when he eats dairy or eggs... he is allergic to animal proteins.

Of course, it depends how hyper your dog really is and whether it really is out of the ordinary. Cockers can be very lively without it having any other cause that age and lack of self-control (and of course lack of mental and physical stimulation in many cases like walks and training).

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk