Author Topic: Training using Jan Fennell method?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Training using Jan Fennell method?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »
it was a raffle prize...  >:D someone was having a laugh at the booby prize I think  :005:

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 12:26:18 PM »
I have the Jan Fennell book and think its v good

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 04:15:52 PM »
I have to say I couldn't give my jan fennel book away no one wanted it :luv:
If you had succeeded you wouldn't have been doing them any favours :lol: . I suggest recycling it via the shredder  :shades: .

I have done that with dog training books in the past - or rather my OH has on my behalf (I can't bring myself to destry books, even lousy ones  ph34r)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
I have the Jan Fennell book and think its v good

Are you joking  :005: :005:

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »
I was lent a copy of the book and I thought it was pretty good - what's so bad about it?
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
I was lent a copy of the book and I thought it was pretty good - what's so bad about it?

Her method is flawed that's what is bad in my oppinion but each to their own.
Best to read more books to gain a more balanced knowledge and make up your own mind.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 07:08:15 PM »

Her method is flawed that's what is bad in my oppinion but each to their own.
Best to read more books to gain a more balanced knowledge and make up your own mind.

I agree, if you have ONLY read Jan Fennell, then her training techniques seem to make sense - it is only when they are compared to Jean Donaldson (The Culture Clash), Pamela Dennison (The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training), Karen Pryor (http://www.clickertraining.com) that the flaws in Jan Fennell's techniques become apparent  :-\

There are far worse out there, too, though - I have read training books that have made me cringe - and some of them are books I bought myself a few years ago; the way in which we understand dogs is constantly changing and being updated, and so training techniques are too  :D

IMO, it is not possible to read (or own) to many dog training/behaviour books - I have just ordered Carolyn Menteith's book after being so impressed with her when she appeared as a judge on Top Dog (I think she is a friend of a couple of COL members, too  ;))
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
I think Carolyn's book is great, but then I am ever so slightly biased.   ph34r  I did go to a lecture by Jan Fennell once with some friends, and didn't agree with a lot of what she said.  I think there could be an awful lot of miserable dogs and owners out there if they follow some of her methods.   :-\
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
I think Carolyn's book is great, but then I am ever so slightly biased.   ph34r  I did go to a lecture by Jan Fennell once with some friends, and didn't agree with a lot of what she said.  I think there could be an awful lot of miserable dogs and owners out there if they follow some of her methods.   :-\

I booked to go on one of her courses and in the mean time I did the COAPE couse think dog.
Whilst doing this course  and with the knowledge gained I realised that I would be wasting my money by going to Jan's and didn't bother.
I would still like to see her though if only to debate her ideas and see how they stand up against good old learning theory which explains all what she does anyway.
IMO Her method is just  a mixture of learning theory tarted up with outdated wolf pack ideas.
I think she still swears by them though.
I tell you what though the lady knows how to market herself.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:03 PM »
Mark

Quite!  Unfortunately, I didn't speak up and question some of her comments.  I'm a bit hot headed and knew if I opened my mouth it would probably turn into a rant and I wouldn't be able to get my point across and would just seem like a trouble maker!   :005:   ph34r  While I do try and keep an open mind about dog training and learn new ideas etc, I know quite a few trainers and just tend to stick with what they advise.  Fortunately, they all advise training in the way that I want to, so that's what I do.   ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 09:51:52 PM »
IMO, it is not possible to read (or own) to many dog training/behaviour books - I have just ordered Carolyn Menteith's book after being so impressed with her when she appeared as a judge on Top Dog (I think she is a friend of a couple of COL members, too  ;))

:005: :005:  sorry but I got 'the idiots guide to positive dog training' today and OH asked me if I wanted my own bookcase for my dog training books  :005: :005:

I said yes, as there's still more I'd like to get  :005:  not sure that went down too well tho  :005:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »
I would still like to see her though if only to debate her ideas and see how they stand up against good old learning theory which explains all what she does anyway.

Mark

Think there'd like to be a few 'flies' on the wall if you did Mark.  ;)  :005:

Mark

Doesn't she just.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 09:32:07 AM »
Please don't consider the Jan Fennell book, she makes my blood boil >:D >:D >:D
I saw her talking at a book signing, back when I believed every word she said.  She gave me some 'tips' to use on Ben who was really 'agressive' at 12 weeks and i was scared witless by a vet who said he could have rage >:D >:D, I'm convinced her techniques  scared the life out of Ben and is the root cause of some of his agression issues now..... I wish I'd known about COL, then I would have realised it was normal cocker puppy behaviour, i wish i could turn the clock back.....

Bens mum

Penel

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »
I'm a bit hot headed and knew if I opened my mouth it would probably turn into a rant and I wouldn't be able to get my point across and would just seem like a trouble maker! 

wish I'd been there  :005:

I think Carolyn's book is great but then I'm biaised too cos I've known her for yonks  :D  it's definitely a training book whereas some of the others discussed are more behaviour books.  There's no substitute for a good training class though, and also meeting up with other people and their sociable dogs.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »
I've just finished reading the culture clash and thought it was excellent, I think if you have some basic knowledge of dog behaviour you will have a better understanding of why some training methods can be cruel and confusing for the dog.  I really didn't like the idea of clicker training as I've seen some bad results with horses, but since reading this book I now understand it, and infact I'm looking for a trainer in my area so I can start with Charlie  :D

Millie