Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »
The idea is that I don't ask him to look at me, he instinctively does it when he sees another dog.

I can see the advantages to this; if you haven't seen another dog, for instance, Billy will look at you anyway - how transferable would it be ?

I wonder what would happen if Billy was being handled by someone else and encountered a dog; would the "I must look at mum when I see a dog" thought process transfer to another handler as sucessfully as a verbal command such as "watch" ?

I'm not criticising at all - just my pontifications as I learn about various training methods  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »
The idea is that I don't ask him to look at me, he instinctively does it when he sees another dog.

I can see the advantages to this; if you haven't seen another dog, for instance, Billy will look at you anyway - how transferable would it be ?

that would never happen at the moment, I'm like air traffic control, always scanning the area, I spot other dogs well before Billy does. He's usually got his nose the the floor half the time, sometimes a dog can walk very closeby & he doesn't even notice  :lol:

I wonder what would happen if Billy was being handled by someone else and encountered a dog; would the "I must look at mum when I see a dog" thought process transfer to another handler as sucessfully as a verbal command such as "watch" ?

I would have thought so yes, as hopefully its the "dog" that triggers the treat as opposed to "mum". Although I could be wrong, just don't know .

I could use the "watch" command when he sees a dog, but wouldn't he then associate the command "watch"  with the treat as opposed to the dog???

We've not yet got to the stage where he looks at me when he sees a dog yet though, despite having been doing this for 4 mths!  ::) that's why i wanted to use the clicker to jiggy it along a bit  ph34r

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
I could use the "watch" command when he sees a dog, but wouldn't he then associate the command "watch"  with the treat as opposed to the dog???

Exactly - the behaviour you want Billy to display is "watch" isn't it? The presence of other dog/person/elephant is irrelevant  :005:

You can use the "watch" in ANY situation once it is established and reliable.........and you are not linking a behaviour you want from your dog with an external trigger, which is out of your control  ;)  The fact that all dogs look different may have something to do with the fact that Billy hasn't "got it" yet.........a GSD is very different to a yorkie in his eyes and he may not realise that he is expected to do the same thing  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club