Cocker Specific Discussion > Health

Dull coat

(1/3) > >>

Jude:
Hi guys

I know you will be able to help because you all love your cockers.  I gave my two little darlings a soaking with Front line for the dreaded fleas.  My girl Tasha who has been neutered seems to have a very dry coat since.  I stripped her out this morning and whilst she is clean she does seem to be very dry.  My boy Chester is fine - abit hairy as he needs to be done next - but I just wonder if there is some treatment I can put on their coat to bring back the shine.  They are not bathed too often.

thanks in advance

Jude                    

Jane S:
Hi Jude

I'm not sure if you're saying Tasha's coat is dry after neutering or after treating with Frontline? It's not unusual for a neutered bitch's coat to be on the dry side & I would recommend you start supplementing her diet with evening primrose or starflower oil (you can give her the same capsules as you would take yourself from Boots or the healthfood shop) I would start with 1000mg a day to begin with & see how you go. Another thing to do would be to use conditioner after you shampoo Tasha - maybe you already do? But if you don't, it will help a lot & make the coat easier to groom too :)                    

Jude:
Thanks Jane

I think it was slightly dull from neutering but it is worse since spraying with Frontline.  I will try what you suggest for my little darlings.

ta

Jude                    

Pammy:
Try using coat oil too Jude - spray it in periodically, every few days or so and after bathing leave a final rinse with conditioner in. Helps moisturise and protect the coat and also helps keeo it clean and tangle free like Jane says.

Pam n the boys                    

Jude:
Pammy  - coat oil it that from the vet or health shop.

Jude                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version