Author Topic: Pulling  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
Pulling
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »
I have posted this here as I think that workers are very different to train than show, so here goes.
So far Lilly has been a delight to train but a clever little minx at times, she will drop to a sit or down immediately if there is a treat on offer but will have to consider it for a while if not..her recall is pretty good two toots on the whistle and she comes flying back and she will always sit and wait to be told to go on when let off. So all in all pretty good.
The problem I am starting to encounter is she has started to pull, its not to forceful as she is only 5 months old. BUT it is really irritating. Most of the walks we do involve a 10 minute walk to get to and she constantly wants to be up front. I use a slip lead with her but even the loose lead philosophy doesn't seem to work.
I have been considering a halti until she learns to walk to heel.
I have even tried using a treat in my hand but she just wants to jump up then,
any ideas folks would be greatly appreciated. BTW her mum who does agility and flyball is a puller as well, I don't know if that is anything to do with it.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Pulling
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:04:28 PM »
I don't think there's really much of a difference in training a working cocker not to pull and any other dog... all the usual methods are the same - dogs pull because they think they know where they're going so change directions often to keep them on their toes, turn and walk in the opposite direction when she pulls and incorporate lots of 90 degree turns as well so she can't second guess you. Another method which works for some is to stop when the dog starts to pull and wait until they sit beside you before setting off again. You won't get anywhere fast to start with but consistency is the key and it will sink in eventually. Using a halti or not is up to you,of course it will provide instant results and is easier but it doesn't actually teach them not to pull and personally I wouldn't consider it with such a young dog until I'd given at least one of the methods above a very good try first (like for a good few weeks).

If you do check her back using the lead as is recommended by some working dog trainers the best way to do it is to almost get down on one knee so you're near her level and check her back once, sharply so you are pulling directly back, rather than 'up and back' as it is if you check them whilst standing at your normal height.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
Will definitely give these a go, as i do think the halti would of been cheating! I feel bit thick now as whenever i think Lilly might be distracted and not come back I give two toots on the whistle and walk the other way. It has been so far 100% so why I didn't think about it for heelwork is beyond me.
Cheers honey, its no wonder Alfs is doing so well so young!

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
Hiya,
What I did when Bella was young was stop suddenly as soon as she goes ahead of me, at the same time I would utter 'ah! ah!' which is the sound I use when Bella is not doing something I like. She would then take a few paces backwards and sit just behind my left foot, I wouldn't budge until she'd done this. Then I'd start off again and repeat the process if she walked ahead of me. She now walks to heel on lead or off and completely relaxes into it, sometimes I forget she's there and suddenly panic because I think I've lost her or that she's slipped the lead simply because the lead feels so slack! ::)
Definitely do what Nicola saya as well, a lot of direction changes really does make the dog focus on you rather than what it wants to do and the dog forgets about pulling and starts trying to figure out where you're going!  ;)

Good luck with her  :D

Best wishes

Mary

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
My trainer uses the stop philosophy too.  When Kali pulls I stop.  As soon as the lead goes loose I move on, clicking and treating whilst walking.  I got told that eventually she will learn that a loose lead means we will move and she will get a treat ;)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
Thank you all we have just come back from our second walk and Lilly is actually responding much better, it was nearly a pleasure to walk her on the lead.

Offline amandaC

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 07:13:05 PM »
I loved reading your replies to eachother as have had similar experiences with mine. We do the walking backwards and stopping and changing direction but it all falls apart when I have the pushchair as I cannot change direction so easily !!? Any tips ?

It's all good fun but I think walking the two girls together also adds to the enthusiasm so I feel I am on a loosing battle.

Still I will persevere and hopefully one day master it!!

Do feel a bit of a twit and am sure poeple think I have gone potty when they drive past and I am walking backwards or changing direction all the time....! :005: :005:
Amanda, Amber, Tallulah and Rubydoo x

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:31:01 PM »
i have just had 2 of the best walks ever with Lils, however i did do the most severe of the lot and did the kneeling down and pulling her back to me.  I also used the other techniques of turning 90 degrees and just stopping once it was just me and Lilly. However, I  needed to get some changes rather quickly as twice a day I take Lils with me to take Luke to nursery and he insists on going on his bike (he is only 4) so its a case of needing eyes up your ****.
I felt terrible for the past 2 days, But it has worked.
So HUGE thanks to everyone

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
Hi Amanda,
I would just stop and get the girls to get back beside or behind you and then start again, and then stop if they pull, repeating this process untill they understand that they won't get anywhere until  they stop pulling. I wouldn't take the dogs with you yet if you have to get somewhere quickly with the buggy as you'll simply be reinfocing their pulling by being inconsistent with the stopping and starting, because I'm sure in the end you'll give into the pulling in order to actually get to the place you need to be.
Set aside a walk time that's just for you and each dog individually. At the beginning you may get no further than the end of the road, but you must be consistent about discouraging pulling. Once both dogs are okay on their own and have stopped pulling then you could try walking them together, however if they pull then you need to go back to singular walks and reinforce the non pulling training.  Finally once the dogs are walking nicely together, then introduce the buggy.

This process will probably take a while and may well progress in fits and starts, especially if both your dogs are young and excitable. But it is very important that they get some focused one on one training time with you on the pulling problem, as this is the only way they'll cotton onto what you expect of them.
I've found that treats aren't necessary as the progression of the walk provides enough incentive for the dog to stop pulling and start walking properly  :blink:

Good luck amanda, I'm sure you'll crack it in no time  :D

Best wishes

Mary

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »
well done Alpha!  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »
i have just had 2 of the best walks ever with Lils, however i did do the most severe of the lot and did the kneeling down and pulling her back to me. 

I don't think that is sever at all it is what I've been shown by a professional working dog trainer  ;)

As long as you kneel down or go low and pull you are not hurting them

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
Oh Cazza i love you i felt like a complete heel.... however I have found that she dos respond better when I am on "her level"
Cheers honey

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:23:54 PM »
If you look back i'm sure I'm only agreeing with Nicola's posts  :005: but as we have the same trainer then that's not surprising (sp) is it  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »
i have just had 2 of the best walks ever with Lils, however i did do the most severe of the lot and did the kneeling down and pulling her back to me. 

I don't think that is sever at all it is what I've been shown by a professional working dog trainer  ;)

As long as you kneel down or go low and pull you are not hurting them

How can it not be uncomfortable or painful to pull on an animals neck?   :huh:

No matter what the "angle" you use, or what level you stand at, if you use force against living flesh, then it will compress, leading to pressure on nerve endings, which sends pain signals to the brain  :'( It also leads to damage to the delicate blood vessels under the skin and consequently, bruising   :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »
if you have the lead not tight then it's pulling on the chest and not on the neck