Author Topic: Pulling  (Read 4428 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Pulling
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
Hello there,  I too am getting quite distressed about Sally pulling on the lead.  She is only 12 wks old and has only been out on the lead for 1wk.  We give her lots of off-lead time and her recall is pretty good, but as soon as the lead goes on she starts pulling.  I'm so worried it's going to do her some damage.  She may only be a puppy but I'm sure her pulling power would compete with that of my brother's huskies  ;) Seriously though, it is a real worry.  In all other respects she has been a star in her response to training.  I've tried stopping, turning around etc...it doesn't seem to matter what direction we are heading in she pulls!! :huh:  Is she too young for a harness?
(Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread Alpha)
Sue

12 weeks is also quite young plus sometimes its us that also needs showing how as well (I did 1-2-1s that were invaluable as the trainer could see my technique as well and showed me where I was going wrong). It still also took time with practice every night for 5-10 min or so round the block/along my street. Its also improtant to practise separately from when you're just initially taking her out for a walk or in a rush as you may set her up to fail.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »
No i don't but the i can tell my children if they are good when we walk the dog round the block they will get a star on there chart or if they are naughty i'll take something they like anyway don't think that would work on thomas  :005: :005: i only ever use a half check on thomas adjusted correctly and no i don't agree any animal should be fearfull of anything ! or anyone ! it 's when people do not apply these methods correctly you get probs  ;)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »
Then why risk it?! ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

12 weeks is also quite young plus sometimes its us that also needs showing how as well (I did 1-2-1s that were invaluable as the trainer could see my technique as well and showed me where I was going wrong). It still also took time with practice every night for 5-10 min or so round the block/along my street. Its also improtant to practise separately from when you're just initially taking her out for a walk or in a rush as you may set her up to fail.
Thanks for the advice Penny, I'll certainly try round the block every evening when we're all relaxed :D and I'm at puppy class again tomorrow so will ask the trainer to keep an eye on me  ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 10:36:55 AM »

Thanks for the advice Penny, I'll certainly try round the block every evening when we're all relaxed :D and I'm at puppy class again tomorrow so will ask the trainer to keep an eye on me  ;)

Also they haven't still quite bonded with you enough to focus on you at this age (there are so many other competing distractions like the leaf on the pavement :005:), and by the same token you may not have found the best way to focus her attention either. As her attention span gets greater you will see more improvements in lots of things.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!