Author Topic: Help please - hes biten a friend  (Read 3886 times)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
Re: Help please - hes biten a friend
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
Thats exactly how I feel cd pops...  :'(  I'll try not to overreact...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »
I took him into the kitchen, shouted "no!" and left him there for 5 minutes.

If you say 'no' to a dog you must say it at the time something happens not take them somewhere then say 'no' as the moment has passed and they don't know why you said 'no'
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
I took him into the kitchen, shouted "no!" and left him there for 5 minutes.

If you say 'no' to a dog you must say it at the time something happens not take them somewhere then say 'no' as the moment has passed and they don't know why you said 'no'

agree, i think that may have made you feel you'd achieved something but i'm not sure the dog understood why he was told off and timed out.

Julsngraham, all dogs are individuals - you can't choose their personalities or make them cuddlier...paddy is nearly grown up, and he is developing his individuality.

I didn't like losing my happy go lucky puppy when he turned into a grown up - he is a stickler for manners and will tell dogs off now if they are rude which was a shock when it first started - but that is what he's like, and I love his adult persona now!  He's taught me a lot about dog communication and paddy is trying to teach you HIS boundaries.

What your friend is doing is actually stressing him out and making him feel insecure....Paddy doesn't need training on how to be a dog, it's really you and your friend that should take a step back.

he is a dog, he's communicating exceptionally well with his warnings, and it will take time for you to pick up on his adult ways but if you let him, he'll teach you....
helen & jarvis x

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 11:41:29 AM »
Thanks - maybe I am just worried that he is going to take "control" and start bossing us about as he gets away with his warnings - maybe this was an isolated incident as he is a very laid back dog normally and pretty good at answering

Even after biting - he went over to my friend to backed right off and carried his chew to her wagging his tail..! ! V confusing for us and him!? she told him to go away as she was still in shock as well

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »
Hi I don't think they think like us and haven't got that element of reason. A growl is a warning that is all, if you ignore his warning he will do something else in this case bite.  As soon as Charlie growls I back off he has not become bosy or dominant he is just now a much happier dog. There is a book called Calming Signals by Turid  Rugaas that may help you to recognise your dogs body language. I know I found it useful.

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
^ That's actually a very good book. And when you try them (yawning, licking your lips, blinking your eyes) you will see them work wonders.
Jan Fennel also has very good books (I don't agree with everything, but most of the information is really useful) you might want to read.
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
Thanks - maybe I am just worried that he is going to take "control" and start bossing us about as he gets away with his warnings - maybe this was an isolated incident as he is a very laid back dog normally and pretty good at answering

Even after biting - he went over to my friend to backed right off and carried his chew to her wagging his tail..! ! V confusing for us and him!? she told him to go away as she was still in shock as well

any change of behaviour is a shock i think (to us humans anyway).  I think also if you are aware of his behaviours then you will be far less likely to be stressed (which will stress paddy out too) if and when he does grumble.

try what's been suggested and see if you can pick up on how he ticks...tis really fascinating once you start really observing them and remembering they are dogs and don't think or communicate like us.

Another one for your bookshelf - 'Bones would rain from the sky' by Suzanne Donaldson - it is not really a training book, more about dog psychology and it is a wonderful read ;)

paddy sounds like a wonderful dog ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 12:10:46 PM »

any change of behaviour is a shock i think (to us humans anyway).  I think also if you are aware of his behaviours then you will be far less likely to be stressed (which will stress paddy out too) if and when he does grumble.

try what's been suggested and see if you can pick up on how he ticks...tis really fascinating once you start really observing them and remembering they are dogs and don't think or communicate like us.

Another one for your bookshelf - 'Bones would rain from the sky' by Suzanne Donaldson - it is not really a training book, more about dog psychology and it is a wonderful read ;)

paddy sounds like a wonderful dog ;)
I agree with Helen with regard to Suzanne Clothier's book Bones would rain from the sky.
You cannot read to much where dog behaviour and training is concerned.
maybe also look into getting Turrid Rugass's Calming signals and Stanley Coren's How to Speak Dog
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »
maybe also look into getting Turrid Rugass's Calming signals and Stanley Coren's How to Speak Dog
Mark

Turrid Rugass's Calming signals
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »
Mark

Turrid Rugass's Calming signals
cheers penny, someone with some computer nouse to the rescue, I'm rubbish at links and stuff like that. ;) :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 12:46:31 PM »
I have begun to realise more, how important it is to be able to interpret your dog's communication. I always would have interpreted things like a dog licking your face as a sign of affection, where actually I would now be more inclined to interpret as uneasiness/ uncertainty.

The thinngs we take as beong cute and friendly are often actually signs that you are being too full on and stressing your dog out.

I am ever thankful to MArk and the others on here, who have helped me to see things in a different way. Honey is happier because of it.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »
I have begun to realise more, how important it is to be able to interpret your dog's communication. I always would have interpreted things like a dog licking your face as a sign of affection, where actually I would now be more inclined to interpret as uneasiness/ uncertainty.

That depends... trust me, if our American Cocker licks your face (and doesn't he do a good job of it too...  :005:), it is definitely affection!  :luv: ... particularly if he had just been licking something disgusting a few seconds before hand...  >:( :005:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 01:47:56 PM »
Have you ever heard the expression "let sleeping dogs lie" ? Now you know where it came from  :blink:

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:11 PM »
Yes definately !!

Thanks folks I am feeling much better about this all and I was all negative about poor paddy last night and this morning..

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »
sorry but your friend is a twit  ::)  You can't expect a dog to behave perfectly if they have been disturbed unannounced no matter how good they normally are, sorry she's been bitten but to be honest she really should know better.

If she's not had a tetnus recently tell her to go and get one, apologise for the mistake but I'd point out her error.  Did she say something to you at the time??